Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 162

Thread: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would Stay C

  1. #71
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Haiti clearly wished to improve their country in their own way, but we interfered not for the benefit of the employee but on behalf of the companies, and either way we'll never know now. It was completely inappropriate.
    Why don't you provide some evidence that US interefered with Haiti's wish for economic improvement?

  2. #72
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Why don't you provide some evidence that US interefered with Haiti's wish for economic improvement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Then what is the point, Maggie? That the US got caught trying to help Haitians help themselves?
    Actually, why don't you provide evidence that's what they did, since you clearly accepted the premise of the OP right up until Lowdown's post?

  3. #73
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Actually, why don't you provide evidence that's what they did, since you clearly accepted the premise of the OP right up until Lowdown's post?
    I'm not the one claiming that US is interfering in Haiti's economic development or going against their wishes.....you are. So why don't you provide the evidence for your claim?

  4. #74
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I'm not the one claiming that US is interfering in Haiti's economic development or going against their wishes.....you are. So why don't you provide the evidence for your claim?
    As soon as you provide evidence first, seeing as, again, right up until Lowdown's post, you accepted that premise.

  5. #75
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    How about any company that wants to outsource to save money and increase profits? That is one of the silliest requests I have ever read on this forum (and I have seen a lot of them).

    I want the Haitians to be self-sufficient, not dependent on slave wages.
    You made a claim, now back it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    As soon as you provide evidence first, seeing as, again, right up until Lowdown's post, you accepted that premise.
    I have provided evidence along with links that help show the US is building infrastructure, energy, jobs, education to help bring in business and outside investors to help improve the Haitian economy. You have provided absolutely nothing except a condenscending attitude that US would even dare to help the Haitian economy.
    Last edited by Moot; 03-27-14 at 07:36 PM.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    How about any company that wants to outsource to save money and increase profits? That is one of the silliest requests I have ever read on this forum (and I have seen a lot of them).

    I want the Haitians to be self-sufficient, not dependent on slave wages.
    How do you propose the Haitians become more self suffcient without any jobs or outside investment at all?

  8. #78
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I have provided evidence along with links that help show the US is building infrastructure, energy, jobs, education to help bring in business and outside investors to help improve the Haitian economy. You have provided absolutely nothing except a condenscending attitude that US would even dare to help the Haitian economy.
    The premise of the thread (which you accepted until Lowdown's post, by the way, at which point you immediately and hilariously asked for proof of it), was that the State Department, courtesy of U.S. companies, pressured Haiti into abandoning a rise in the country's minimum wage. You argued that this was for the better of the country. Do you believe that if U.S. companies invests in infrastructure in the country that that country no longer has the right to self-determine their own laws?

  9. #79
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The premise of the thread (which you accepted until Lowdown's post, by the way, at which point you immediately and hilariously asked for proof of it), was that the State Department, courtesy of U.S. companies, pressured Haiti into abandoning a rise in the country's minimum wage. You argued that this was for the better of the country. Do you believe that if U.S. companies invests in infrastructure in the country that that country no longer has the right to self-determine their own laws?
    I fail to see how my argument has changed because of Lowdown....especially considering I hadn't read any of his posts until just now and only because you keep mentioning them.

    You argued that this was for the better of the country. Do you believe that if U.S. companies invests in infrastructure in the country that that country no longer has the right to self-determine their own laws?
    No, I don't believe that.
    Last edited by Moot; 03-27-14 at 08:00 PM.

  10. #80
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I fail to see how my argument has changed because of Lowdown....especially considering I hadn't read any of his posts until just now and only because you keep mentioning them.
    You have got to be kidding. For seven full pages nobody questions the premise of the OP, until post #70 in which Lowdown reveals that that there is dispute with the credibility of the OP. In the very next post, in #71, you then demand evidence from me that the U.S. interfered in Haiti's affairs. So is this story something you plan on sticking with?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •