Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 162

Thread: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would Stay C

  1. #31
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And we wonder why so many people in this world hate the United States...
    No, only ignorant people ask such questions. The OP is a snippet view of real world cast against political angle for sensational headlines.

    If the cost of doing business in Haiti goes up, profits go down. Levi's and Hanes would be forced to lower profits, thus lower investments while their competitors who are producing in lower cost countries... gain investment and market share. That's a reality check the OP leaves out. Some people will fall for the emotional "OMG SLAVE LABOUR big rich companies exploiting!!!" That's just an uneducated pov.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #32
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,475

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    The U.S. government making the rest of the world safe for American businesses has a LONG history.


    And that, of course, makes it right.

    Never mid the fact the US government, SECRETLY, manipulated a foreign power for slave wages AND exported jobs from the US.

    That's a winning strategy for sure.


    So much for the most "open and transparent administration in history"...it's preferred American unskilled workers get 99 weeks of pay not to work while exporting jobs at slave wages....that's good for Amerika! Just not the people
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #33
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No, only ignorant people ask such questions. The OP is a snippet view of real world cast against political angle for sensational headlines.

    If the cost of doing business in Haiti goes up, profits go down. Levi's and Hanes would be forced to lower profits, thus lower investments while their competitors who are producing in lower cost countries... gain investment and market share. That's a reality check the OP leaves out. Some people will fall for the emotional "OMG SLAVE LABOUR big rich companies exploiting!!!" That's just an uneducated pov.
    So you have no problem with our State Department going to bat for corporations in foreign countries to undermine a country's attempt to improve the standard of living for its people?

    I sure do.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    If you ask the Haitians what they would prefer...a job that only pays 31 cents an hour....or no job at all....which do you think they would chose?
    So you are against raising minimum wage in America for that same reason I guess.

  5. #35
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Does that somehow justify us pressuring Haiti and other countries from pressuring the Haitian state to keep wages lower?
    Hanes will find a place to make their goods at the price they want whether you like it or not. If you want people to stay out of work, then carry on.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    So you have no problem with our State Department going to bat for corporations in foreign countries to undermine a country's attempt to improve the standard of living for its people?

    I sure do.
    Of course you do, emotions drive you. It's okay Maggie, had the wage levels gone up, Levi's an Hanes might have moved their factories and jobs would have been lost and you would feel good knowing that "wages went up" even though jobs went away. But it's the feeling that counts right?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #37
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So you are against raising minimum wage in America for that same reason I guess.
    Min wage is a stupid idea that does far more harm then good.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #38
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Of course you do, emotions drive you. It's okay Maggie, had the wage levels gone up, Levi's an Hanes might have moved their factories and jobs would have been lost and you would feel good knowing that "wages went up" even though jobs went away. But it's the feeling that counts right?
    That is not our decision to make. Our State Department should not be getting involved in another country's business. And most especially not when it's only to benefit state-side corporations. How is a country ever to improve itself if it's blackmailed or coerced into holding wages down by the government of the United States?

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Min wage is a stupid idea that does far more harm then good.
    I agree. I just wondered if the lady I addressed this to agrees since she is defending a very low wage in other countries.

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,505

    Re: WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would St

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Right, because only the US creates companies?
    Post a list of all those other companies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •