Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 518

Thread: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

  1. #471
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    He's a shiester and race huckster - they never let fear get in the way of making a buck.
    I know. Why you think Rush is so rich...

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  2. #472
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    I know. Why you think Rush is so rich...
    Certainly not because he represented Tawana Brawley.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #473
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Yes, nobody ever accused Rush of not crossing the line into bad taste with some of his illustrations and metaphors. I certainly have not defended him when he has done that, and, while his metaphor or illustration was spot on, he used really bad judgment in how he applied that to Sandra Fluke's congressional presentation. And as always happens in these cases, that bad judgment then became the story and the point he was making was totally lost so far as the media and message board bigots are concerned. And just as I every once in awhile find myself wishing I had expressed my opinion differently and wishing I could rephrase this or that, I'm sure if Rush had it to do over, he would not have used that particular analogy in that particular case.

    At the same time, call me a bigot if you wish, but I personally highly resented Sandra Fluke's testimony as 1) entirely self serving; 2) entirely dishonest; and 3) pushing an entitlement mentality that is slowly but surely helping to destroy our culture. Rush used the analogy that somebody who wants others to pay for her to have sex is a slut. And in so doing he is characterized as calling Sandra Fluke a 'slut'.

    So does my expressed opinion extrapolate that I am calling Sandra Fluke self serving? Dishonest? Wrong pushing a foolish and even dangerous agenda? Somebody could definitely draw that conclusion. But I didn't do that. I applied those characterizations to her testimony. Does that make me a bigot because I disagree with what she was asking for? Because I would say no?

    How does one criticize or object to what others would demand of us without being accused of being intolerant? Of being hateful? Of being a bigot? And if anybody here thinks they are justified, correct, even noble in objecting to what others do that affects them, why is Rush any different?
    I agree with you fully except for one thing-this was not congressional testimony. She was speaking at a conference that was made to LOOK like an official congressional hearing. Its always spin from them, isnt it?

  4. #474
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,516
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I agree with you fully except for one thing-this was not congressional testimony. She was speaking at a conference that was made to LOOK like an official congressional hearing. Its always spin from them, isnt it?
    Well it was a Democratic House steering committee so technically it did technically qualify as testimony before Congress, and of course the media covered it as a major event. But yes, the spin is never ending.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #475
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have to agree, your post is the very embodiment of 'bigot'. Thank you for the demonstration.

  6. #476
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,606

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    Hey man its your dime

    I would buy this before spending money on this jerk


    Is that really a book? SMH ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #477
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Well, if Sharpton writes a book, he better write better than he speaks or no one will be able to understand what he is trying to say.

    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #478
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,294

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I have to agree, your post is the very embodiment of 'bigot'. Thank you for the demonstration.

    Anytime a right wing whack job tries to play the bigot card, I know they are done.

  9. #479
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I rest my case.

  10. #480
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I once did the math on how much money she wanted for 'free' condoms and it came out to getting laid over 300 times per day, every day. Yeah that meets the criteria "slut" imo.
    I see no mention of free condoms in her testimony. She mentions an annual cost of over $3000 for contraceptives which is probably the cost of the exams and prescriptions required to use oral contraceptives, an IUD or some other methods.

    Have any of you actually read what she said?

    "Leader Pelosi, members of Congress, good morning, and thank you for calling this hearing on women's health and for allowing me to testify on behalf of the women who will benefit from the Affordable Care Act contraceptive coverage regulation.

    My name is Sandra Fluke, and I'm a third-year student at Georgetown Law School. I'm also a past president of Georgetown Law Students for Reproductive Justice, or LSRJ. And I'd like to acknowledge my fellow LSRJ members and allies, and all of the student activists with us, and thank them so much for being here today.

    We, as Georgetown LSRJ, are here today because we're so grateful that this regulation implements the nonpartisan medical advice of the Institute of Medicine. I attend a Jesuit law school that does not provide contraceptive coverage in its student health plan. And just as we students have faced financial, emotional and medical burdens as a result, employees at religiously affiliated hospitals and institutions and universities across the country have suffered similar burdens. We are all grateful for the new regulation that will meet the critical health care needs of so many women. Simultaneously, the recently announced adjustment addresses any potential conflict with the religious identity of Catholic and Jesuit institutions.

    When I look around my campus, I see the faces of the women affected by this lack of contraceptive coverage. And especially in the last week, I have heard more and more of their stories. On a daily basis, I hear from yet another woman from Georgetown or from another school or who works for a religiously affiliated employer, and they tell me that they have suffered financially, emotionally and medically, because of this lack of coverage. And so I'm here today to share their voices, and I want to thank you for allowing them -- them, not me -- to be heard.

    Without insurance coverage, contraception, as you know, can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school. For a lot of students who, like me, are on public interest scholarships, that's practically an entire summer's salary. Forty percent of the female students at Georgetown Law reported to us that they've struggled financially as a result of this policy.

    One told us of how embarrassed and just powerless she felt when she was standing at the pharmacy counter and learned for the first time that contraception was not covered on her insurance, and she had to turn and walk away because she couldn't afford that prescription. Women like her have no choice but to go without contraception.

    Just last week, a married female student told me that she had to stop using contraception because she and her husband just couldn't fit it into their budget any more. Women employed in low-wage jobs without contraceptive coverage face this same choice.

    And some might respond that contraception is accessible in lots of other ways. Unfortunately, that's just not true. Women's health clinics provide a vital medical service, but, as the Guttmacher Institute has definitively documented, these clinics are unable to meet the crushing demand for these services. Clinics are closing, and women are being forced to go without the medical care they need.

    How can Congress consider the Fortenberry, Rubio and Blunt legislation, that would allow even more employers and institutions to refuse contraception coverage, and then respond that the nonprofit clinics should step up to take care of the resulting medical crisis; particularly when so many legislators are attempting to defund those very same clinics?

    These denials of contraceptive coverage impact real people. In the worst cases, women who need this medication for other medical reasons suffer very dire consequences. A friend of mine, for example, has polycystic ovarian syndrome, and she has to take prescription birth control to stop cysts from growing on her ovaries. Her prescription is technically covered by Georgetown's insurance, because it's not intended to prevent pregnancy. Unfortunately, under many religious institutions' insurance plans, it wouldn't be. There would be no exception for other medical needs. And under Senator Blunt's amendment, Senator Rubio's bill or Representative Fortenberry's bill, there's no requirement that such an exception be made for these medical needs.

    When this exception does exist, these exceptions don't accomplish their well-intended goals, because when you let university administrators or other employers, rather than women and their doctors, dictate whose medical needs are legitimate and whose are not, a woman's health takes a backseat to a bureaucracy focused on policing her body. In 65 percent of the cases at our school, our female students were interrogated by insurance representatives and university medical staff about why they needed prescriptions and whether they were lying about their symptoms. For my friend, and 20 percent of the women in her situation, she never got the insurance company to cover her prescription. Despite verification of her illness from her doctor, her claim was denied repeatedly on the assumption that she really wanted birth control to prevent pregnancy. She's gay -- so clearly, polycystic ovarian syndrome was a much more urgent concern than accidental pregnancy for her.

    After months of paying over $100 out of pocket, she just couldn't afford her medication anymore, and she had to stop taking it. I learned about all of this when I walked out of a test and got a message from her that, in the middle of the night in her final-exam period, she'd been in the emergency room. She'd been there all night in just terrible, excruciating pain. She wrote to me: "It was so painful I woke up thinking I'd been shot." Without her taking the birth control, a massive cyst the size of a tennis ball had grown on her ovary. She had to have surgery to remove her entire ovary as a result. On the morning I was originally scheduled to give this testimony, she was sitting in a doctor's office trying to cope with the consequences of this medical catastrophe.

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •