Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 518

Thread: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

  1. #401
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,314

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I watched William F. Buckley for a very long time and he seemed to present rational conservatism without the blowhard over-the-top hyperbole in-your-face factor that Limbaugh uses. Same with George Will or John Leo - both of whom I always enjoyed reading or seeing on TV.
    Buckley went to Yale, and got an Education, Rush dropped out of a Missouri community college. Rush will never have the ability to be rational and classy and well rounded like Buckley. You can't buy the education and experience Buckley had...you have to actually do it. Rush is a disc jockey who found his schtick, but it is schtick, first and foremost
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  2. #402
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Buckley went to Yale, and got an Education, Rush dropped out of a Missouri community college. Rush will never have the ability to be rational and classy and well rounded like Buckley. You can't buy the education and experience Buckley had...you have to actually do it. Rush is a disc jockey who found his schtick, but it is schtick, first and foremost
    Good points. I see where his mother said he failed everything at the local CC. But I guess he more than made up for it in his bank account. I still prefer Buckley, Will and Leo however.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #403
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm not a Limbaugh fan, but I also don't like false claims. Not willing to research all the quotes, but I did check with Snopes about some of them. snopes.com: Rush Limbaugh 'Racist Quotes' List
    Per Snopes, only one of the quotes ("They're 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?") I used is listed as undocumented. Several of the others were verified.

  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Since you appear to have some kind of irrational confidence in a source that admits up front that they got their "information" from emails submitted to them, we can leave that be.

    But let's recap, shall we?
    • You said Limbaugh makes provocative comments that inspire groups who are prone to violence to commit such violence. The implication being that such groups are violent and from the radical Right.
    • I list actual groups who are not only prone to violence but do & did actually commit such violence. Those groups are unmistakably from the radical Left.
    • You then respond with a link to a site that lists comments allegedly made by Limbaugh that I gather you meant to suggest had encouraged violence of some sort or other to be committed by somebody or other. Yet you listed neither.


    That's whatcha call disjointed nonsensical thinking born of partisan fervor and you should have that looked at.
    I said "He doesn't advocate genocide, but he does promote the type of nationalist, racist and sexist attitudes and ideologies that tend to cause violence." Is that really in question? The widely reported Sandra Fluke quote alone is evidence that he is a deceitful scumbag.

  5. #405
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I watched William F. Buckley for a very long time and he seemed to present rational conservatism without the blowhard over-the-top hyperbole in-your-face factor that Limbaugh uses. Same with George Will or John Leo - both of whom I always enjoyed reading or seeing on TV.
    I have also read and watched Buckley, Will, and Leo and also have enjoyed their particular perspectives as well as probably 40 or 50 others ranging from liberal to conservative that I could name over the years. I also can probably name 40 or 50 different authors I have enjoyed over the years, many with vastly different styles and points of view. I can probably name 40 tor 50 different actors/actresses from pure comedians to the most serious dramatic types that I have appreciated and enjoyed their performances. I love a good intelligent comedy and I appreciate action flicks and great serious dramatic movies. I can name a lot of great painters I have appreciated ranging from Van Gogh to Michelangelo to Rembrandt to Grandma Moses to Picasso to Georgia O'Keefe to my granddaughter, all with very different styles and points of view. I enjoy classical, jazz, country, blues, rock, pop, contemporary, new age, gospel, and bluegrass music and some other that don't fit those categories. I have studied and appreciate gothic, Victorian, contemporary, territorial, and other architecture.

    So your point is?. . . .
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #406
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I have also read and watched Buckley, Will, and Leo and also have enjoyed their particular perspectives as well as probably 40 or 50 others ranging from liberal to conservative that I could name over the years. I also can probably name 40 or 50 different authors I have enjoyed over the years, many with vastly different styles and points of view. I can probably name 40 tor 50 different actors/actresses from pure comedians to the most serious dramatic types that I have appreciated and enjoyed their performances. I love a good intelligent comedy and I appreciate action flicks and great serious dramatic movies. I can name a lot of great painters I have appreciated ranging from Van Gogh to Michelangelo to Rembrandt to Grandma Moses to Picasso to Georgia O'Keefe to my granddaughter, all with very different styles and points of view. I enjoy classical, jazz, country, blues, rock, pop, contemporary, new age, gospel, and bluegrass music and some other that don't fit those categories. I have studied and appreciate gothic, Victorian, contemporary, territorial, and other architecture.

    So your point is?. . . .
    My point is the idea behind that old Stones song - "It's The Singer Not the Song" from that terrific DECEMBER'S CHILDREN album. Delivery counts for a great great deal in that business. Someone like Buckley comes off as intelligent and educated and can even come off as bit of a snob at times because he does it with sincerity and a smile and it works. Will has perfect delivery and he rarely comes off as offensive.

    Limbaugh, on the other hand, tries to offend and tries to do so at every opportunity. He got where he is by people talking about him around the water coolers and its a lot like Stern and other shock jocks. I suspect Buckley would have wanted nothing to do with the man and would have considered him crass and crude and someone whose brashness and lack of tact would hurt the greater cause in the long run despite his financial success.

    When he went national in the late 80's I used to listen to him a bit since he advertised himself as a conservative and I had enjoyed Buckley and others we already mentioned. When the administrations changed parties, his tone changed noticeably. It did not take a Rhodes scholar to see that he was first and foremost a partisan REPUBLICAN in all capital letters and conservative was a distant second.

    Limbaugh found his niche where a marginal audience can be an asset. It is worth nothing that when he got his largest exposure - NFL football - he crashed and burned in very very short order.
    Last edited by haymarket; 03-24-14 at 05:02 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #407
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,274

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I said "He doesn't advocate genocide, but he does promote the type of nationalist, racist and sexist attitudes and ideologies that tend to cause violence." Is that really in question? The widely reported Sandra Fluke quote alone is evidence that he is a deceitful scumbag.
    heh heh ... he really got you going with that Fluke thing, huh.
    I had to look it up since I never personally heard him say it.
    So tell me, you heard his remarks in their entirety?
    Apparently he said some things over a few days.
    You heard them all?
    What exactly did you hear him say that you can share that warrants such volatile language as deceitful scumbag.
    Be specific and thorough.

    BTW, your "nationalist" is another's "patriotic" ... you don't object to patriotism do you?
    Or would you rather choose to define patriotism in such a way that you can say it's okay.
    And I bet when you come right down to it, "racist and sexist attitudes" pretty much means no one can say anything about sex or race that you disagree with or that makes you uncomfortable.
    That's it, isn't it.

    Further ... you still insist on that "promotion" assertion while I have shown you examples of the "actual" violence perpetrated by the Left.
    What inspired that?
    Please include examples of actual violent acts encouraged by Rush Limbaugh's radio show.

  8. #408
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    My point is the idea behind that old Stones song - "It's The Singer Not the Song" from that terrific DECEMBER'S CHILDREN album. Delivery counts for a great great deal in that business. Someone like Buckley comes off as intelligent and educated and can even come off as bit of a snob at times because he does it with sincerity and a smile and it works. Will has perfect delivery and he rarely comes off as offensive.

    Limbaugh, on the other hand, tries to offend and tries to do so at every opportunity. He got where he is by people talking about him around the water coolers and its a lot like Stern and other shock jocks. I suspect Buckley would have wanted nothing to do with the man and would have considered him crass and crude and someone whose brashness and lack of tact would hurt the greater cause in the long run despite his financial success.

    When he went national in the late 80's I used to listen to him a bit since he advertised himself as a conservative and I had enjoyed Buckley and others we already mentioned. When the administrations changed parties, his tone changed noticeably. It did not take a Rhodes scholar to see that he was first and foremost a partisan REPUBLICAN in all capital letters and conservative was a distant second.

    Limbaugh found his niche where a marginal audience can be an asset. It is worth nothing that when he got his largest exposure - NFL football - he crashed and burned in very very short order.
    Marginal audience? He has been No. 1 in his genre for more than a quarter century! Even if I accept your characterization of who Rush is and how he is successful--and for the record, I do NOT accept that--that is impressive. And even if he did happen to be what you see him as being--and I believe you have some of that wrong--what difference does it make? He has been successful as nobody before or during his reign on the airways has been successful. Does everybody have to conform to the style you prefer in order to be credible and valid? I just don't see it that way. He 'crashed and burned' as an NFL commentator for no other reason than he was Rush Limbaugh. Had he been somebody less controversial, what he said that night was so innocuous, it wouldn't even have generated a ripple.

    The point I was making is that everybody isn't going to be like you. Everybody isn't going to share your preferences. Everybody isn't going to have the same tastes you do. That is why there is opportunity for so many in the business. That Rush is not George Will or William Buckley is not a character flaw or weakness. He is just different and does things differently than they do.

    And for the record, I listen to Rush very occasionally. But since he is on most #1 markets in the nation, I do hear him in the background now and then on my home radio or when driving places. So I am familiar with both him and his style and his content, and I do believe I am as competent as most to evaluate his scholarship.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #409
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    I don't give a damn. There is no way I will give this hatemonger a dime. Nor will I even present anything written by him to my children. The man is a disgusting human being. At the end of the day honest or not, you are making this bastard richer.

    Lets flip the script....

    Suppose Al Sharpton did the same thing and wrote a children's book that is completely honest. Would you give his book the time of day?
    Actually yes I would.

  10. #410
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Have you?
    You made a lot of negative comments about it, yet you haven't ever read have you?

    Kind of closed minded of you isn't it? Personally I'm more of an open minded person so I'd give something a chance and actually read it before closing the book on it so to speak especially if it's been given good reviews but that's just me
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •