Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 143

Thread: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

  1. #71
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    On the border of his country, I'd say yes. Further into Ukraine, not so much.

    I'd say the Ukrainian government has taken the first steps to deescalate the situation by deciding to remove it's military forces from Crimea and, in effect, cede Crimea to the Russians. If they're willing to do so, why should the US militarily insist otherwise?
    What are you basing that on?

    I say probably not, because his totally conscripted, ill-equipped and poorly trained army that hasn't tasted battle in 25 years isn't ready for a prolonged fight against an army of superior training and experience.

    The biggest advantagr we have, is that Putin could never threaten our lines of communication the way we van threaten his.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #72
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What are you basing that on?

    I say probably not, because his totally conscripted, ill-equipped and poorly trained army that hasn't tasted battle in 25 years isn't ready for a prolonged fight against an army of superior training and experience.

    The biggest advantagr we have, is that Putin could never threaten our lines of communication the way we van threaten his.
    I'm basing it on the fact that any country is going to be more inclined to protect their own homeland than to travel thousands of miles to protect another country's homeland. You bring troops into Ukraine and you'll guarantee a military conflict that you may not be able to deescalate.

    Doesn't matter so much about the sophistication of the forces - after all, we've been in Afghanistan for a dozen years with little military success.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #73
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....


    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  4. #74
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'm basing it on the fact that any country is going to be more inclined to protect their own homeland than to travel thousands of miles to protect another country's homeland. You bring troops into Ukraine and you'll guarantee a military conflict that you may not be able to deescalate.

    Doesn't matter so much about the sophistication of the forces - after all, we've been in Afghanistan for a dozen years with little military success.
    The Russians wont be fighting for their homeland, in The Ukraine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #75
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    The Obama/Putin show is like a bad Bob and Tom skit. Putin is Bart McCallister and Obama plays the perfect Sid Gurney.


  6. #76
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    All she did was rail in the UN and get up and walk out.....Churkin went to town on that crap in front of the UN Body. Then Pudding brought up that bit about Estonia.....and immediately the other countries Simplexity had up started squaking. Now the UN is sending in a Human Rights Observers to the Ukraine. Plus Durbin and Johnny Quest want to send in the OSCE Observers. Which Russia blocked that on the Security Council.

    So we will have a bunch of Armies all out Practicing drills and maneuvers in front of each other. Won't be getting around that fact.

    Also Now Putin has stated they will change their Stance on Iran.


    Russia warns West it may change stance on Iran, in retaliation over sanctions

    Russia reportedly is prepared to change its stand on Iran nuclear talks in a high-stakes gamble to counter expanded sanctions by the United States and the European Union over Crimea.

    After the Obama administration on Monday hit 11 Russian and Ukrainian officials with sanctions -- a move criticized by Republican lawmakers as too timid -- Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov was quoted Wednesday by the Interfax news agency as saying the country may have to alter its position on the negotiations over Iran's nuclear program.

    The statement is the most serious threat of retaliation by Moscow since the disputed Crimea region voted to join Russia over the weekend, and Vladimir Putin's government moved to annex the peninsula.

    NATO and U.S. leaders say they're prepared to do more.

    Speaking at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., he also said NATO, as a first step, is suspending joint planning for operations removing chemical weapons from Syria.

    Ukraine's security chief also announced Wednesday that his country will hold joint military exercises with the United States and Britain

    The United Nations is also deploying a 34-member human rights monitoring mission to Ukraine, scheduled to be in place by Friday. Ivan Simonovic, assistant secretary-general for human rights, expressed particular concern over the security of Tatars and other ethnic minorities in Crimea.

    A letter sent by Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, and six other lawmakers says monitors are needed to defuse tensions in Ukraine after Russia's takeover of the Crimean peninsula. The lawmakers visited Ukraine last week and say Russia is using "provocateurs and intelligence agents to brazenly stir trouble" in eastern Ukraine as a possible "manipulated pretext for additional military action.".....snip~

    Russia warns West it may change stance on Iran, in retaliation over sanctions | Fox News
    Quote Originally Posted by SayMyName View Post
    I understand. Yet, after all the demonizing of Iran over the last 4 decades, do you really think that this country would have anything to do with the United States by way of cooperation?
    Everyone should just quit talking about Iran. Iran will obtain nuclear weapons and trying to convince otherwise is now just worthless, pointless noise. There is no possible agreement of any kind we could ever make with Iran concerning nuclear weapons. Putin's conquest of Crimea combined with Obama now vowing he will not defend any of Ukraine eliminated any possible agreement with Iran now or ever. Iran's leadership would have to be the stupidest people on earth to not desire to obtain a nuclear weapons arsenal ASAP - and just mouth anything to the contrary.

    No, I do not think "cooperation" is a prospect and certainly not now after the nuclear disarmament treaty with Urkaine was really just a long range plan to disarm Ukraine to allow it's military defeat.

    It is known that any deal or agreement for Iran to give up would be actually just Iran agreeing to expose itself to military invasion and defeat. We have nothing to offer Iran nor any possible way to reach any agreement whatsoever.

    All countries of the world now know for certainty that any agreement with the USA isn't worth the cost of the paper it is written on. Iran and then more countries will become nuclear weapons powers.

    That the actual outcome of Russia's military conquest of Crimea and forcing the rest of Ukaine into permanent beggar status to Russia. This is a unique harm from the conquest and capture of Ukraine territory that applied only to Ukraine and a couple other former USSR enslaved block countries that gave up their nuclear weapons upon promises of the USA.

  7. #77
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Russians wont be fighting for their homeland, in The Ukraine.
    They realize Putin is Stalin and would not hesitate to slaughter anyone and the family and people of anyone who raised arms against his goals.

  8. #78
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Everyone should just quit talking about Iran. Iran will obtain nuclear weapons and trying to convince otherwise is now just worthless, pointless noise. There is no possible agreement of any kind we could ever make with Iran concerning nuclear weapons. Putin's conquest of Crimea combined with Obama now vowing he will not defend any of Ukraine eliminated any possible agreement with Iran now or ever. Iran's leadership would have to be the stupidest people on earth to not desire to obtain a nuclear weapons arsenal ASAP - and just mouth anything to the contrary.

    No, I do not think "cooperation" is a prospect and certainly not now after the nuclear disarmament treaty with Urkaine was really just a long range plan to disarm Ukraine to allow it's military defeat.

    It is known that any deal or agreement for Iran to give up would be actually just Iran agreeing to expose itself to military invasion and defeat. We have nothing to offer Iran nor any possible way to reach any agreement whatsoever.

    All countries of the world now know for certainty that any agreement with the USA isn't worth the cost of the paper it is written on. Iran and then more countries will become nuclear weapons powers.

    That the actual outcome of Russia's military conquest of Crimea and forcing the rest of Ukaine into permanent beggar status to Russia. This is a unique harm from the conquest and capture of Ukraine territory that applied only to Ukraine and a couple other former USSR enslaved block countries that gave up their nuclear weapons upon promises of the USA.
    Durbin is an appeasement idiot declaring we need to send PR teams to tell everyone in Ukraine to be happy about their country being militarily conquered and they all forced to be impoverished beggars of Russia.

    Why not first send PR teams to Mexico to convince them to finally be happy about the USA taking Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and California away from Mexico? Military defeat is such a happy occasion for the defeated!

  9. #79
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Durbin is an appeasement idiot declaring we need to send PR teams to tell everyone in Ukraine to be happy about their country being militarily conquered and they all forced to be impoverished beggars of Russia.

    Why not first send PR teams to Mexico to convince them to finally be happy about the USA taking Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and California away from Mexico? Military defeat is such a happy occasion for the defeated!
    Tell me how can garentee ukraines sovereignty without suffering the entire region going up in flames?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama Rules Out 'military excursion' in Ukraine.....

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Everyone should just quit talking about Iran. Iran will obtain nuclear weapons and trying to convince otherwise is now just worthless, pointless noise. There is no possible agreement of any kind we could ever make with Iran concerning nuclear weapons. Putin's conquest of Crimea combined with Obama now vowing he will not defend any of Ukraine eliminated any possible agreement with Iran now or ever. Iran's leadership would have to be the stupidest people on earth to not desire to obtain a nuclear weapons arsenal ASAP - and just mouth anything to the contrary.

    No, I do not think "cooperation" is a prospect and certainly not now after the nuclear disarmament treaty with Urkaine was really just a long range plan to disarm Ukraine to allow it's military defeat.

    It is known that any deal or agreement for Iran to give up would be actually just Iran agreeing to expose itself to military invasion and defeat. We have nothing to offer Iran nor any possible way to reach any agreement whatsoever.

    All countries of the world now know for certainty that any agreement with the USA isn't worth the cost of the paper it is written on. Iran and then more countries will become nuclear weapons powers.

    That the actual outcome of Russia's military conquest of Crimea and forcing the rest of Ukaine into permanent beggar status to Russia. This is a unique harm from the conquest and capture of Ukraine territory that applied only to Ukraine and a couple other former USSR enslaved block countries that gave up their nuclear weapons upon promises of the USA.


    Well.....it was Russia that was talking about them here. Not us. Plus it is Putin trying to leverage Iran over us. You don't think Administration is going to allow Russia to have this leverage over us now.....Do you?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •