Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/us...-pay.html?_r=2

    The new regulations to the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act reportedly would mandate that businesses provide overtime pay for those who work jobs as varied as fast-food restaurant managers, loan officers, and computer technicians. Currently, businesses are prohibited from denying overtime to a salaried worker making less than $455 per week. The rules that Obama is proposing would increase that salary threshold, though it was not clear by how much.

    It doesnt matter.

    Pres. B.O. will be praised by the Left and criticized by the Right.

    But this whole thing just doesnt matter. It is purely symbolism.

    Think about it....
    How many people do you know are paid a salary based off of $9.10 - $11.50 or less per hour?

    Management is usually paid a salary. A flat payment every week no matter how many hours you work. Some weeks you win some weeks you loose.

    But this Exec. order is nothing more than a symbolic gesture running up to election time.

    But it will be fun to watch both sides fight this out...LOL
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/us...-pay.html?_r=2

    The new regulations to the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act reportedly would mandate that businesses provide overtime pay for those who work jobs as varied as fast-food restaurant managers, loan officers, and computer technicians. Currently, businesses are prohibited from denying overtime to a salaried worker making less than $455 per week. The rules that Obama is proposing would increase that salary threshold, though it was not clear by how much.

    It doesnt matter.

    Pres. B.O. will be praised by the Left and criticized by the Right.

    But this whole thing just doesnt matter. It is purely symbolism.

    Think about it....
    How many people do you know are paid a salary based off of $9.10 - $11.50 or less per hour?

    Management is usually paid a salary. A flat payment every week no matter how many hours you work. Some weeks you win some weeks you loose.

    But this Exec. order is nothing more than a symbolic gesture running up to election time.

    But it will be fun to watch both sides fight this out...LOL
    I never thought of it that way. I think you're right. Symbolic.

  3. #3
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

    Right now my company is facing its third class action suit in less than 5 years concerning OT pay for mid managers.

    Thing is, over time exemption was designed for administrative positions. Which is why, in the law, it's called the executive exemption. Despite your title, if you don't spend your days performing administrative tasks, instead doing more grunt work, you are entitled to OT pay. Otherwise, companies would simple make all of their employees salaried, under various trumped up titles. "Manager of operations, register seven".

    Lots of companies are being sued over this.

    This strikes me as an attempt at a response.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #4
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/us...-pay.html?_r=2

    The new regulations to the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act reportedly would mandate that businesses provide overtime pay for those who work jobs as varied as fast-food restaurant managers, loan officers, and computer technicians. Currently, businesses are prohibited from denying overtime to a salaried worker making less than $455 per week. The rules that Obama is proposing would increase that salary threshold, though it was not clear by how much.

    It doesnt matter.

    Pres. B.O. will be praised by the Left and criticized by the Right.

    But this whole thing just doesnt matter. It is purely symbolism.

    Think about it....
    How many people do you know are paid a salary based off of $9.10 - $11.50 or less per hour?

    Management is usually paid a salary. A flat payment every week no matter how many hours you work. Some weeks you win some weeks you loose.

    But this Exec. order is nothing more than a symbolic gesture running up to election time.

    But it will be fun to watch both sides fight this out...LOL
    You are kidding right? Lots of businesses do this, mostly on clerical positions and low wage office work where they can be claimed as management even though they aren't. Same thing with home health and hospice care.

    Even at fast food, there are legitimately asst.mgrs, and shift mngrs, and general mngers with top wages often being about $12.50 an hour, at least in Boise Idaho which is the only place I have personal knowledge of.

    Having tried to return to accounting when my business went down, I can assure you that the places I worked, did everything they could to assure everyone that could be was "salary," even though they were all expected to work 50-60 hours a week. You have more faith in your fellow human being than they deserve.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  5. #5
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    You are kidding right? Lots of businesses do this, mostly on clerical positions and low wage office work where they can be claimed as management even though they aren't. Same thing with home health and hospice care.

    Even at fast food, there are legitimately asst.mgrs, and shift mngrs, and general mngers with top wages often being about $12.50 an hour, at least in Boise Idaho which is the only place I have personal knowledge of.

    Having tried to return to accounting when my business went down, I can assure you that the places I worked, did everything they could to assure everyone that could be was "salary," even though they were all expected to work 50-60 hours a week. You have more faith in your fellow human being than they deserve.
    The Exec order wont stop this from being an issue. Its not like it is making salary illegal.

    The law as it sits makes OT mandatory for salaried workers whose salary (not hourly wages) is less than $455. That is a very minuscule portion of the population.

    This Exec. Order, just like so many others, is nothing more than a symbolic hollow gesture so the Democrats have something "good" they can campaign with and the media has "Obama kiss ass" material. Meanwhile the Republicans will oppose it and decry Obama is killing jobs. The Democrats will counter with - The Republicans are wanting to starve the children and kill grandma by making her eat dog food and the only reason they oppose this is because they are racist scum. The Republicans will cower in the corner and wet themselves.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  6. #6
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    The Exec order wont stop this from being an issue. Its not like it is making salary illegal.

    The law as it sits makes OT mandatory for salaried workers whose salary (not hourly wages) is less than $455. That is a very minuscule portion of the population.

    This Exec. Order, just like so many others, is nothing more than a symbolic hollow gesture so the Democrats have something "good" they can campaign with and the media has "Obama kiss ass" material. Meanwhile the Republicans will oppose it and decry Obama is killing jobs. The Democrats will counter with - The Republicans are wanting to starve the children and kill grandma by making her eat dog food and the only reason they oppose this is because they are racist scum. The Republicans will cower in the corner and wet themselves.
    You keep claiming it's a miniscule portion of the population. You're wrong.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #7
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Obama Will Seek Broad Expansion of Overtime Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    You keep claiming it's a miniscule portion of the population. You're wrong.
    OK, what percentage of the population would you estimate?

    now we can find out if you actually read the article and see the criteria listed to meet the eligibility requirements to be covered under this E.O. its a minuscule portion of our society.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •