Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 87

Thread: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls[W:74]

  1. #41
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Snipping somewhat for brevity; I will do my best to maintain context.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    In today's day and age the amount of people that can't get their birth certificate and are US citizens is so small that it would be statistically irrelevent in ANY election, even if they were to all vote for one party it wouldn't affect the votes that much.
    There are many people who are very old who don't have easy access to birth certificates. Statistical relevance does not concern me. Making sure everyone who is eligible to vote is able to does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    On the flip side if 7-12 million illegal immigrants were to all vote (not saying they all would but I have no doubt that some do) then it would greatly affect the out come of an election. Even if they all didn't vote for the same party.
    And I am not in favor of illegal immigrants voting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    As far as the poll tax goes, every single amendment in our constitution has exceptions.
    Really? Tell the guys in the gun forum that, see how that goes.

    (that was my lame attempt at humor)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Those exceptions having been determined to be needful so that other peoples rights are not trampled by others. Yes, poll taxes designed to limit who can and cannot vote most certainly should NOT be allowed. However even if you consider making people pay $10 for a state ID as a poll tax (which I really don't considering that a state ID is and can be used for far more than just for voting, indeed you can't do a lot of things without some sort of state issued ID now a days...even get welfare) it is not a poll tax designed to keep ANY citizen from voting because you can get $10 easy by simply selling lemonade on a sidwalk. (my kid made that much just by helping another kid do it). If a person can't make $10 then i'm sure there are charities out there that would pay for it. And if not then there are always government welfare subsidies or just plainly giving out the ID's for free to those that can't afford it.
    A poll tax is putting a mandatory cost on voting. Period. And yeah, charities to pay for people voting? Christ, ACORN got disbanded for HELPING PEOPLE REGISTER TO VOTE. Let's get serious here, Kal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    With all that said I would have to say that illegal aliens voting, even the possibility of them being able to vote because there is no way to catch them, is a damn good reason to require ID's at a voting station.
    Again, I'm fine with them not being able to vote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And just to note: A poll tax is a tax designed to prevent a certain class of people from voting. Which means making that "tax" so exhorbirant that that class of people cannot afford it. There isn't a single person in the US that cannot make $10 if they actually get off thier butts and do a little bit of work for as little as an hour and a half a day going by Federal minimum wage. So...an hour and a half for an ID that will last for 4-5 years...hardly an imposition on anyone.
    No, a poll tax is a tax on voting. Is there a Free Speech Tax? A Not-Quartering-Soldiers-In-Your-House Tax? A Right-To-A-Speedy-Trial Tax?

    I don't care if you're the laziest mother****er on earth. You have the right to vote.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #42
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You claim that to many it's cost prohibitive, and I ask how do you know that. You say you worry about people having to pay to vote, they are not. They are ask for proof that they are who they say they are. Anyone could walk off the street to any voting location and vote. What's to stop someone from going to another polling location and voting there; or maybe someone who isn't even a citizen from voting. How about the possibility of foreign countries sending in people to vote and interfering with our election process. We require background checks to purchase guns, but no identification to vote. Where's the logic? You can't cash a check at a bank without ID.
    Could you possibly miss my point more?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #43
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Could you possibly miss my point more?
    Devastating retort!
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #44
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Devastating retort!
    Well, read instead of going off all half-cocked and maybe you'd learn something.

    You want people to have to prove who they say they are at the polls. Fine. I'm OK with that. Now, how do they do that? With an ID. What does an ID cost? Money.

    Are you saying that those who may not be able to afford an ID should not be allowed to vote? Because if you are, then you are advocating a poll tax. Which is unconstitutional.

    The fallacy amongst conservatives is that liberals don't WANT people to have to prove who they are. The vast, vast, vast majority of liberals have no problem with people proving who they are at the polls, as long as the ability to do so is available to all, regardless of economic standing.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #45
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    This means 10s of thousands of fake vote casts.

    This is NOT solved solved by voter ID requirements. This occurs inside the voting place itself by the polling place staff. I was an election judge for the I could have cast as many votes as I wanted to.

    What would eliminate voter fraud is using biometric voting machines requiring a recorded unique finger print for each voter.
    So now you want to disenfranchise dead voters and make someone fake an ID for them so they can vote? Haven't you heard - there's no such thing as voter fraud..... according to the far left wing anyway.

    [/sarcasm]
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #46
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Well, read instead of going off all half-cocked and maybe you'd learn something.

    You want people to have to prove who they say they are at the polls. Fine. I'm OK with that. Now, how do they do that? With an ID. What does an ID cost? Money.

    Are you saying that those who may not be able to afford an ID should not be allowed to vote? Because if you are, then you are advocating a poll tax. Which is unconstitutional.

    The fallacy amongst conservatives is that liberals don't WANT people to have to prove who they are. The vast, vast, vast majority of liberals have no problem with people proving who they are at the polls, as long as the ability to do so is available to all, regardless of economic standing.
    You want to treat an exception as a rule. BTW, we believe it because liberal fight voter ID like they don't have any goddam sense.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Seems to me the 2 main points the OP makes are not addressed by poll taxes or picture IDs.

    First is a failure of the myriad of election boards to remove those who died from the voter roll, and then a HANDFUL of clerical errors where the vote was entered in the incorrect column.

    There seems to be a myriad of computer driven ways to post to the election board deaths through Social Security, or the State Medical Examiner. This can be abused by state election supervisors requiring targeted groups to have to produce evidence they are not dead at the polling place, but frankly carrying dead folks on the rolls isn't an issue.

    Your picture ID doesn't stop clerical error. My wife had her ID for a local bond election, howsomever her name wasn't on the roll- we have lived here for decades- she has voted many times before. She got to cast a provo ballot BUT later had to come back to the board and PROVE she was she and had lived in the county for over 6 months...

    The three ladies who worked the polling place- our county courthouse as we are a VERY rural county- were very old and I think coke bottles are thinner than their glasses. I can see where the occasional error can occur, but a picture ID doesn't stop that.

    Personally I see the ability to vote as proactive with the State having to prove a citizen can't vote rather than a citizen having to bear the burden of proof. Sort of like a court of law- I don't have to prove I didn't commit whatever crime, the State has to prove I did.

  8. #48
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You want to treat an exception as a rule. BTW, we believe it because liberal fight voter ID like they don't have any goddam sense.
    Rights aren't supposed to have exceptions.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #49
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,107
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Rights aren't supposed to have exceptions.
    The right to franchise is limited by the states within reason. Felons cannot vote in many instances.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  10. #50
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,265

    Re: 6,100 dead people on Nassau voter rolls

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Rights aren't supposed to have exceptions.
    So you fully endorse the arguments of gun enthusiasts regarding the 2nd now? South Carolina made their ID's free to everyone over 17, and still got sued by Holder's DOJ.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •