Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    U.S. intelligence officials are planning a sweeping system of electronic monitoring that would tap into government, financial and other databases to scan the behavior of many of the 5 million federal employees with secret clearances, current and former officials told The Associated Press.

    The system is intended to identify rogue agents, corrupt officials and leakers, and draws on a Defense Department model under development for more than a decade, according to officials and documents reviewed by the AP.



    Intelligence officials have long wanted a computerized system that could continuously monitor employees, in part to prevent cases similar to former National Security Agency analyst Edward Snowden. His disclosures bared secretive U.S. surveillance operations.

    An administration review of the government's security clearance process due this month is expected to support continuous monitoring as part of a package of comprehensive changes.

    Privacy advocates and government employee union officials expressed concerns that continuous electronic monitoring could intrude into individuals' private lives, prompt flawed investigations and put sensitive personal data at greater risk. Supporters say the system would have safeguards.

    Budget documents released this week show the Pentagon requesting nearly $9 million next year for its insider threat-related research.

    The proposed system would mimic monitoring systems already in use by the airline and banking industries, but it most closely draws from a 10-year-old Pentagon research project known as the Automated Continuous Evaluation System, officials said. The ACES program, designed by researchers from the Monterey, Calif.,-based Defense Personnel and Security Research Center and defense contractor Northrop Grumman, has passed several pilot tests but is not yet in full operation.....snip~

    US network to scan workers with secret clearances - Yahoo Finance
    Associated Press – 4 hours ago

    So what do you think about this ACES program? So far 84 Million in research. Yet the Pentagon requested 9 Billion for Insider Threat. Thoughts upon the matter.

  2. #2
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    Welcome to the club.

  3. #3
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    Yeah, good.
    Because supposedly being monitored and caught for doing something wrong is a component of security clearanced personnel. So it's annoying to find out that I and others lived under this premise and they really didn't do anything they said they'd do.

    I consider it a sensible step long overdue. They give out clearances like candy, it seems.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #4
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    If they only spent all their resources monitoring their own.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    If they only spent all their resources monitoring their own.
    Mornin' Monte. Isn't this the program that will know if people are into politics and or news. All kinds of additional info other than all they get now? Like what TV shows, books and sports.

    Also this says insider threat.....Do you think it is a bit much for only 5 million Feds?

  6. #6
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,312

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    U.S. intelligence officials are planning a sweeping system of electronic monitoring that would tap into government, financial and other databases to scan the behavior of many of the 5 million federal employees with secret clearances, current and former officials told The Associated Press.

    The system is intended to identify rogue agents, corrupt officials and leakers, and draws on a Defense Department model under development for more than a decade, according to officials and documents reviewed by the AP.



    Intelligence officials have long wanted a computerized system that could continuously monitor employees, in part to prevent cases similar to former National Security Agency analyst Edward Snowden. His disclosures bared secretive U.S. surveillance operations.

    An administration review of the government's security clearance process due this month is expected to support continuous monitoring as part of a package of comprehensive changes.

    Privacy advocates and government employee union officials expressed concerns that continuous electronic monitoring could intrude into individuals' private lives, prompt flawed investigations and put sensitive personal data at greater risk. Supporters say the system would have safeguards.

    Budget documents released this week show the Pentagon requesting nearly $9 million next year for its insider threat-related research.

    The proposed system would mimic monitoring systems already in use by the airline and banking industries, but it most closely draws from a 10-year-old Pentagon research project known as the Automated Continuous Evaluation System, officials said. The ACES program, designed by researchers from the Monterey, Calif.,-based Defense Personnel and Security Research Center and defense contractor Northrop Grumman, has passed several pilot tests but is not yet in full operation.....snip~

    US network to scan workers with secret clearances - Yahoo Finance
    Associated Press – 4 hours ago

    So what do you think about this ACES program? So far 84 Million in research. Yet the Pentagon requested 9 Billion for Insider Threat. Thoughts upon the matter.
    I am not sure what they are asking for extra money for.
    As to the scanning of people with S and TS clearance, if they are not already doing that,
    they are not doing their job.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    So what do you think about this ACES program? So far 84 Million in research. Yet the Pentagon requested 9 Billion for Insider Threat. Thoughts upon the matter.
    I don't like it. It will be abused, you can count on that. Not to mention its a relatively simple step to go from monitoring 5 million people to 300+ million. Might not be simple to implement maybe...but it wouldn't take much to get it expanded. Look at the Patriot Act. A program that was meant to help catch terrorists. It was used by judges to allow the monitoring of millions of US Citizens without even a hint of probable cause attached to those citizens to do so.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #8
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin' Monte. Isn't this the program that will know if people are into politics and or news. All kinds of additional info other than all they get now? Like what TV shows, books and sports.

    Also this says insider threat.....Do you think it is a bit much for only 5 million Feds?
    Yes indeed, I do. And Clapper, I thought he got fired for lying to congress!

    Howdy MMC.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #9
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I don't like it. It will be abused, you can count on that. Not to mention its a relatively simple step to go from monitoring 5 million people to 300+ million. Might not be simple to implement maybe...but it wouldn't take much to get it expanded. Look at the Patriot Act. A program that was meant to help catch terrorists. It was used by judges to allow the monitoring of millions of US Citizens without even a hint of probable cause attached to those citizens to do so.
    Totally true, lets bet on that happening.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #10
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US Network to Scan Workers with Secret Clearances......

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    I am not sure what they are asking for extra money for.
    As to the scanning of people with S and TS clearance, if they are not already doing that,
    they are not doing their job.
    Scanning? Monitoring!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •