Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 455

Thread: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended [W:148:245]

  1. #441
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Why do you find reality so upsetting? My point was a simple one and a valid one that you are not disputing. War crimes trials from World War 2 have nothing to do with it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #442
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why do you find reality so upsetting? My point was a simple one and a valid one that you are not disputing. War crimes trials from World War 2 have nothing to do with it.
    I suppose it's the difference between one who believes in mindlessly following orders from any alleged authority, no matter how senseless, harmful, or otherwise wrong; and one who believes in personal responsibility, judgement, and ethics.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  3. #443
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    I suppose it's the difference between one who believes in mindlessly following orders from any alleged authority, no matter how senseless, harmful, or otherwise wrong; and one who believes in personal responsibility, judgement, and ethics.
    Actually it is the difference in one carrying out the legitimate duties of a job working for the public where policy was formed by the elected representatives of the people and going off half cocked believing that you are god and answerable to nobody.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #444
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Actually it is the difference in one carrying out the legitimate duties of a job working for the public where policy was formed by the elected representatives of the people and going off half cocked believing that you are god and answerable to nobody.
    Whose interests is a teacher or other school employee supposed to be serving, anyway? Those of the student and/or his parents, or those of bureaucrats and politicians? If he is ordered by a bureaucrat or politician to act against the interest of his students, should he follow that order?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  5. #445
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Whose interests is a teacher or other school employee supposed to be serving, anyway? Those of the student and/or his parents, or those of bureaucrats and politicians?
    You seem to be having trouble with the concept of an employee hired to do a specific job and carry out the policies associated with that job as part of their contractual obligations. You also seem to ignore that - regardless if you personally approve of them or not - the policies were implemented and developed in the interest of the education of the students of the community.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #446
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the concept of an employee hired to do a specific job and carry out the policies associated with that job as part of their contractual obligations. You also seem to ignore that - regardless if you personally approve of them or not - the policies were implemented and developed in the interest of the education of the students of the community.
    Whose interests is it a school employee to serve? That of his students, or that of bureaucrats and politicians?

    Clearly, a school employee who engages in such idiocy as punishing a student for doing nothing at all wrong is not acting in the interests of that student, or any other.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  7. #447
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Whose interests is it a school employee to serve? That of his students, or that of bureaucrats and politicians?

    Clearly, a school employee who engages in such idiocy as punishing a student for doing nothing at all wrong is not acting in the interests of that student, or any other.
    repeating the same question which I answered in the previous post is not a new argument. Nor is using hyperbole like IDIOCY to describe a Board policy designed to protect students from threats.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #448
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,613
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    I must say, I've seen lots of school over-reactions and unintended consequence of "zero tolerance" policies, so I'm not a big fan. However, given the number of warnings, both written and verbal, that the children had received, ignoring those warnings should indeed have consequence.

    We live in a society where 10 yr. olds flash gang signs in elementary school, where pointing a finger as a gun and pulling the imaginary trigger is a real-life death threat on the streets. Tell me, folks, do we really want our elementary school kids intimidating each other by flashing gang signs and mock executions? Really?

    Decades ago, when my kids were young, I would have been so horrified and furious to learn that any of my children had thought pretending to blow a classmate's brains out was "funny" or "cute", that they would have been grounded until puberty. And now it's... what? "Boys will be boys?"

    Nope, the school got it right. The mock execution of a classmate for ****s and giggles is wholly inappropriate in our schools, and these kids had plenty of warning that it would not be tolerated. Nor should it be.

    I'm really surprised that a very clear case of a student breaking a well-established policy by pretending to shoot another student in the head has become a Second Amendment issue. I mean, just look at yourselves! This child got a 3-day suspension, after several written and verbal warnings were ignored. He deserved it. Trying to make him an NRA poster boy is just plain silly. The boy broke a reasonable rule, one he was very familiar with, and after several warnings, he got a time-out.

    End of story.

  9. #449
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,296

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In the 90's at my high school it was write common to see pick ups with guns in the gun racks.
    I have no doubt. Must have been a few folks that skipped English classes as well.

  10. #450
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Ohio Student Points Finger Like Gun, Is Suspended

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have no doubt. Must have been a few folks that skipped English classes as well.
    Im typing on my phone.... sorry I missed a typo. /smh
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •