Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 177

Thread: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

  1. #61
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    You keep missing the point here. If we had a pres pushing congress to build a super military instead of one pushing them to tear it down Putin would be discouraged from military adventurism instead of encouraged as he is now.
    Oh, a "super military," eh? How much do we spend on this super military, and HOW THE **** DO WE PAY FOR IT. You conservatives are always the ones bitching about the debt/deficit ...
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ahem.

    There's lots of terms we can use to describe Reagan. "General" is not one of them, in any sense of the word.

    The Soviet Union did more to sink the Soviet Union than Reagan did. A LOT more.
    Reagan made sure the USSR lost in Afghanistan. They were brutal in their efforts and likely would have retained control of that region and spread their influence without Reagan's intervention. The beating they took in Afghanistan militarily, economically and what it did to their moral was what ended them. If they had succeeded in that war they would still be here.

  3. #63
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    What makes this different is we would not take over Mexico and install a pupett president. Putin is rebuilding the Soviet empire and obama's "reset" policy has been a huge failure. If Reagan was pres Putin would not do this.
    ...yes we would, we do that all the time!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Oh, a "super military," eh? How much do we spend on this super military, and HOW THE **** DO WE PAY FOR IT. You conservatives are always the ones bitching about the debt/deficit ...
    We spend more on our military than the next 20 countries combined and this guy thinks it needs more money.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #64
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    : The Ukrainian people are not a down-trodden group like we see in so many parts of the world today. They have enjoyed their independence for a long time, and they are apparently not willing to once again be under a "big daddy" regime. I don't know what prompted Putin's move, other than the fact that he may want to recreate the old glory days of the Czars and the USSR, and have everything under Moscow's thumb.

    Putin has decided on Crimea as his target, and it makes me wonder why. The country is rich in natural resources, though, plus it provides much of the food for the rest of the country since the land is excellent for farming. Is it a power grab for food resources in the future? Everyone becomes a peon again like in the old days, with centralized planning from Moscow? Interesting...

    Greetings, humbolt.
    What prompted Putin's move is that Ukraine has often served as a buffer between Russia and Europe. Ukraine's president was a Putin stooge, he got run out of town, so now Putin's trying to move back in under the guise of protecting Ukraine's ethnic Russian population in the eastern part of the country and Crimea and reinstall his buddy into office. Putin likes having a friendly Ukraine between him and southeastern Europe, and as far as I can tell he's planning to keep it that way.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    ...yes we would, we do that all the time!
    Last time we did it to Mexico was Polk's war, a democrat.

  6. #66
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Because communism is a fantastic economic system that will last indefinitely without outside influence.
    Thanks for the laugh.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  7. #67
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    : The Ukrainian people are not a down-trodden group like we see in so many parts of the world today. They have enjoyed their independence for a long time, and they are apparently not willing to once again be under a "big daddy" regime. I don't know what prompted Putin's move, other than the fact that he may want to recreate the old glory days of the Czars and the USSR, and have everything under Moscow's thumb.

    Putin has decided on Crimea as his target, and it makes me wonder why. The country is rich in natural resources, though, plus it provides much of the food for the rest of the country since the land is excellent for farming. Is it a power grab for food resources in the future? Everyone becomes a peon again like in the old days, with centralized planning from Moscow? Interesting...

    Greetings, humbolt.
    Money.

    Plain and simple. Right now, he has to PURCHASE the goods he gets from them. Far easier and cheaper to just TAKE them.

    Why do companies but other companies?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #68
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Reagan made sure the USSR lost in Afghanistan. They were brutal in their efforts and likely would have retained control of that region and spread their influence without Reagan's intervention. The beating they took in Afghanistan militarily, economically and what it did to their moral was what ended them. If they had succeeded in that war they would still be here.
    BULL****. Jimmy Carter initiated our efforts in Afghanistan. All Reagan did was drop the Mooj like a hot potato once the Russkies pulled out. Nice attempt at revisionist history, but it was Carter who started that.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #69
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Reagan made sure the USSR lost in Afghanistan. They were brutal in their efforts and likely would have retained control of that region and spread their influence without Reagan's intervention. The beating they took in Afghanistan militarily, economically and what it did to their moral was what ended them. If they had succeeded in that war they would still be here.
    And that whole plan worked out fantastically.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #70
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: Russia Moves to Deploy Troops in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Thanks for the laugh.
    You apparently missed the sarcasm.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •