Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 175

Thread: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

  1. #11
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Must ban assault knives!
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Oh no, let's ban knives! As I keep saying, banning guns won't work, the crazies will just use another weapon and cause just as much damage.
    And sometimes more damage when they resort to using weapons like home-made bombs. That was the goal at the Boston Marathon, and look at the Oklahoma bombing in the 90s. Look at the damage suicide bombers create in the ME. They kill and wound 100s of people at a time.

  3. #13
    OPO extraordinaire

    MACS-24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Holy **** man, what's with China and knife attacks?

    Anyway, hope for a safe recovery for the survivors.
    My guess, years of oppressive government.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    If certain gun guys are insulted by that? Good, they should be ashamed: the rest of US are sick and tired of having our intelligence insulted[/i].



  4. #14
    OPO extraordinaire

    MACS-24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And sometimes more damage when they resort to using weapons like home-made bombs. That was the goal at the Boston Marathon, and look at the Oklahoma bombing in the 90s. Look at the damage suicide bombers create in the ME. They kill and wound 100s of people at a time.
    That would be hard to defend but at least with guns, knives, clubs, etc. give the people the ability and right to defend themselves. Not sure on accuracy but apparently in England it would be a crime to defend oneself. Never heard anything on that in China. Except, guns are very restrictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    If certain gun guys are insulted by that? Good, they should be ashamed: the rest of US are sick and tired of having our intelligence insulted[/i].



  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Quote Originally Posted by MACS-24 View Post
    That would be hard to defend but at least with guns, knives, clubs, etc. give the people the ability and right to defend themselves. Not sure on accuracy but apparently in England it would be a crime to defend oneself. Never heard anything on that in China. Except, guns are very restrictive.
    To be clear, what I mean to say is that when you take away guns from the population, the criminals will just find more destructive ways to kill. They aren't going to stop killing just because one tool is taken away. They will just start using something else. It's silly of some to even suggest that creating more strict gun laws are going to do anything at all to cut down on criminal activity. We can see that it is certainly NOT the case just by looking at the crime level in Chicago when guns were banned.

    Some interesting facts.

    Chicago’s murder rate is far worse now than it was during the city’s most notorious crime era, Al Capone’s “gangland,” when gun-control laws hardly existed, ABC reports. Leading up to the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, there were 26 killings in January 1929. Yet, 42 people were killed in Chicago last month, catching the attention of Chicagoans, the White House and politicians nationwide. If the current murder rate continues, February 2013 will far exceed February 1929, when there were 26 killings, including the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. The first national firearms act, which wasn’t signed until 1934, required approval of the local police chief, federally registered fingerprints, federal background check and a $200 tax, ABC reports. However, gun control ceased to exist during Mr. Capone’s heyday in the Roaring ‘20s. Chicago has the strictest gun-control laws in the country. “Assault weapons” and high-capacity magazines are completely banned, and up until a 2010 Supreme Court decision, handguns were banned, too. Residents now can get a permit to own a gun, but the process requires training, background checks and a firearm owner’s identification card.


    Read more: Chicago murder rate far worse since strict gun control - Washington Times
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

  6. #16
    OPO extraordinaire

    MACS-24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    To be clear, what I mean to say is that when you take away guns from the population, the criminals will just find more destructive ways to kill. They aren't going to stop killing just because one tool is taken away. They will just start using something else. It's silly of some to even suggest that creating more strict gun laws are going to do anything at all to cut down on criminal activity. We can see that it is certainly NOT the case just by looking at the crime level in Chicago when guns were banned.

    Some interesting facts.
    Totally agree and that's what I thought you meant. I was actually starting to type something else then as soon as I typed first couple of words your post made me start to think how, to me, the lines of terrorism and multiple gun/knife victims (school shootings & this China story) begin to blur. They both create terror (look at media reports after school shootings) so NOW how do you address it? So, my above response as thought more about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    If certain gun guys are insulted by that? Good, they should be ashamed: the rest of US are sick and tired of having our intelligence insulted[/i].



  7. #17
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And sometimes more damage when they resort to using weapons like home-made bombs. That was the goal at the Boston Marathon, and look at the Oklahoma bombing in the 90s. Look at the damage suicide bombers create in the ME. They kill and wound 100s of people at a time.
    Compare that to school shootings and these other attacks cause a lot more damage, yet nobody is arguing to ban knives. It's just an emotional reaction against guns, not a rational one.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Quote Originally Posted by MACS-24 View Post
    Totally agree and that's what I thought you meant. I was actually starting to type something else then as soon as I typed first couple of words your post made me start to think how, to me, the lines of terrorism and multiple gun/knife victims (school shootings & this China story) begin to blur. They both create terror (look at media reports after school shootings) so NOW how do you address it? So, my above response as thought more about it.
    I would have no idea on how to go about addressing such problems, but I don't think banning one tool of many other possible options is going to stop a person who is on a murderous rampage. The lack of a gun being present is certainly not going to make a person change his mind about killing a bunch of people IMO, as your story demonstrates.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Compare that to school shootings and these other attacks cause a lot more damage, yet nobody is arguing to ban knives. It's just an emotional reaction against guns, not a rational one.
    Exactly, these kind of people aren't concerned with the loss of life, just guns. They only make a stink about death if it is caused by a firearm.

  10. #20
    User theaterofdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    63

    Re: Train station knife attack kills 27, injures 109 in China

    1) Guns are more convenient and more deadly than knives
    2) Knives have multiple uses. Gun's only use is to either kill, injure, or threaten
    3) If the argument for owning guns is that guns deter violence, you can also argue that even more deadly weapons (RPG's, chemical weapons, etc) could do an even better job at deterring violence, but an overwhelming majority of people, including pro-gun supporters, would agree that these weapons should not be made available to the public.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •