Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 277

Thread: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

  1. #131
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, I know what you really TYPED. The actual words hold all the consequence. If you want to claim you meant something other than what your words said, then you're absolutely free to do that and all of us are free to believe or disbelieve you based on the value we have on your integrity as it relates to your arguments.

    You responded to a post that had both a singular and plural entity, and responded using language that suggested you were speaking of the plural entity. I'm sorry your words were what they were, but I'm not the one that typed them. It's especially confusing since you were suggesting "they" didn't want to regulate public enterprise...something that makes no sense if you were referring to the lobbyist, unless you've seen some other source quoting his stance on reuglation of public enterprises. Personally, I've never heard of the guy so can't speak specifically on his desire to regulate public enterprises (abscent this instance where it's clear he does) but since you CLAIM you were referencing him and not the GOP, I'm guessing you've seen something by him to suggest that was previously his stance?

    Of course, if the "They" you were refering to was the GOP as opposed to this lobbyist, then the post suddenly makes sense since opposition to regulation on public enterprise is a common theme expressed by the GOP.
    Yep, you know what I really mean. More so than I do.

    This is pathetic, even for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    And your and X's pathetic attempts to make this about me would make sense if I said what you both claim I said. Don't let that get in your way though.
    Addressing the words you typed is not making it about "you". If you believe on a debate site you can say whatever you want and no one's going to confront you about it then I'm sorry to say you're likely going to be very disappointed often. YOU made a statement and I've been responding to that statement and the ludicrous nature of it. Your only argument so far against it has been:

    1. "That's not what I really meant!" --- in which case, fine. You're free to say that. And all of us are free to either believe you OR to believe that you're back tracking because your poor argument got called out.

    2. "That's not what I said!" --- in which case, unquestionably, you're wrong. Your words are right there. You responded to something talking about the GOP and the lobbyist, and you responded talking about "They" not "he".

    So if you want to claim that's what you meant, no problem. If you want to claim that's not what you said, then people are going to counter that claim and disagree because this is a debate site and that's what happens when people disagree. That's not "about you", that's "about your argument".

    Now in terms of "what I really meant", as I said...if you show me exactly where it was that made you believe that you knew this guys stance on regulating private enterprise (since this story itself clearly shows he has no issue with that) then perhaps I can believe your attempt to backtrack from what you actually TYPED. Without it...then no, you can keep claiming you didn't mean what you wrote, and I will continue to believe you're just attempting to cover for your poorly thought out argument.

    You made a comment about the topic, I responded to the comment about the topic, and we've been going back and forth regarding those arugments since then...none of that is "about you". It's simply confronting your BS assertion.

  3. #133
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Yep, you know what I really mean. More so than I do.

    This is pathetic, even for you.
    If it's such a pathetic argument then it should be no problem to counter, should it not? And yet in response to me pointing out the language you used you've provided......zero counter. In response to my pointing out that this story gives no indication he's against regulating private enterprise and asking you what made you think he was you've provided.....zero counter. All you have offered up as counter to this "pathetic" argument is sarcastic non-sequiter's about knowing what you really mean...which isn't really a counter but an attempted deflection.

  4. #134
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,524

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes, I saw you act like a typical hyper partisan and post your little echo chamber propoganda site for your side that completely misrepresented and exaggerate the situation regarding one of those bills (which is sad considering it was perfectly condemnable without the hyperbole). I also saw Anagram completely dismantle the post, both pointing out what was horribly wrong with your link AND how it wasn't a comparable situation. Of course, you didn't bother to respond to him and just went on your way peddling your standard propoganda...so why exactly should I bother to do the same?

    You go ahead and label yourself all you want. Your actions speak louder than any words, such as the ridiculous and laughable attempt to characterize an entire political ideology based on the actions of an inconsequential lobbyist that has no acknowledged support what so ever in congress but whose credentials were puffed up in a liberal leaning publication that you unthinkingly believed like it was gopsel.

    This man is not the GOP nor does he represent them...he's one lone idiot without any backing or support. You got called on your bull**** attempt to smear and entire population of people based on your bigotry towards them thanks to this one person and so you're back peddling attempting to justify your BS by throwing anything and everything against the wall and hoping it could stick. Even if what you poster were legitimate arguments, and as pointed out already by others they're not, it still wouldn't change that the attempt to take this one worthless individual and present him as some example of the GOP as an entire entity was completely and utterly retarded and pathetic.
    I didnt realize the GOP is an "entire political ideology". In fact, I'm pretty sure its a political party and not even a partial political ideology.

    It looks like it was a publicity stunt. But isnt it telling that this isnt a pubicity stunt by Democrats to embarrass the GOP, but its a publicity stunt by a wingnut to interest conservative GOP members?
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  5. #135
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    First sentence from the article says this:

    Washington lobbyist Jack Burkman issued a statement saying that his firm, J M Burkman & Associates, is preparing legislation that would ban gay athletes from playing in the National Football League (NFL).
    Burkman & Associates is more than one person. Ergo, they are not a singular as claimed by Zyphlin. More than one person means that using the word "they" as a pronoun is correct. "They" meaning "Burkman & Associates" is the "they" to which I referred, and it is completely correct to refer to them as "they" because "they" are more than one person.

    More than one person is not, by definition, a singular no matter what Zyphlin tries to tell you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #136
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It's simply confronting your BS assertion.
    Yes, my BS assertion that "J M Burkman & Associates" is more than one person, and therefore can be properly referred to as "they."

    And my BS assertion that this group of people ("they") obviously think that regulating private enterprise is fine, because their proposed legislation does exactly that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #137
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,274

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Got a study that will disprove my opinion?
    So let me see if I understand how you roll? There is no study to prove my statement, so therefore it is fact?

    Oh wait... it's

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Its just common sense
    You're killing me here. Is your common sense source by chance related to your grammatical source?

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL | The Raw Story



    Classic. The GOP slowly sliding into an irrelevant regional party based upon hate. May God have mercy on their souls.
    Waste of time. The NFL can ban whoever they want without a law. Why would we want the government involved in football? Please !!!

  9. #139
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    First sentence from the article says this:

    Burkman & Associates is more than one person. Ergo, they are not a singular as claimed by Zyphlin. More than one person means that using the word "they" as a pronoun is correct. "They" meaning "Burkman & Associates" is the "they" to which I referred, and it is completely correct to refer to them as "they" because "they" are more than one person.

    More than one person is not, by definition, a singular no matter what Zyphlin tries to tell you.
    Wow...multiple posts later and you finally dig something up to defend yourself with. Took you long enough. So you had previously heard of Burkman & Associates and knew they were against reuglating private industry huh?

    You know what, you keep on this one if you want. People can read, know your history, and make their own determination. You go ahead and claim what you meant, and I'll believe what I think is credible based on your history, and we're go from there.

    To Threegoofs...

    You're correct, I typed ideology when I should've typed party. That doesn't really change much of what I was suggesting though...it just slightly minimizes the amount of people you were grossly misrepresenting based on the actions of a singular individual.

    And yes, it was likely a publicitiy stunt to drum up controversy and hits to this guys podcast. All the more reason it was funny that Raw Story tried to label this guy as a "Powerful" GOP lobbyist and that you were trying to portray it as some grand example of the GOP

  10. #140
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Powerful GOP lobbyist drafts bill to ban gay athletes from playing in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Why does this idea freak men the **** out like this? It's not contagious, they're not gonna jump you when your back is turned, it doesn't mean your gay if gay guy looks at you. It makes no sense to me at all. It takes maturity to ignore it and go about your business. What a bunch of insecure little boys.
    I guess some men don't want to acknowledge that they're hot.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •