Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 80

Thread: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

  1. #21
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,099

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap





    Last edited by Utility Man; 02-24-14 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  2. #22
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Misguided? No one forced them to take the route they did in getting where they are. They chose that path. Hard work and taking advantage of every opportunity, to turn around and say 'well, I've got mine, now you all should not do what I did and be fair to people.'

    Until they walk the walk, what they have to say is meaningless.
    You said they were hypocrites, that isn't a misguided person?

    And who says that all rich people take advantage of everyone, ALL the time?

    I would say their opinion is more prominent and meaningful, than anyone else's, because of their status.
    Who knows better than not to be evil, than the Devil?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #23
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,456

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    It's the message of promoting industries to consider the employee, more of an asset by paying better wages and benefits, rather than simply relegating them as disposable resources.
    That's B.S. It's about closing the wealth gap via wealth redistribution, primarily taxes on the wealthy, min wage, and salary caps.

    The hypocrisy is what some point out as the absurdity. They pillaged our markets to earn billions. And by pillage I mean freely engaged with others who freely engaged in a marketplace that valued their contribution significantly. Now that they are ultra-wealthy, they sing a new tune. How convenient.

    But the real absurdity IMO is that the market simply isn't valuing things the way some dreamy people believe it should. People don't' really want to take advantage of all our marketplace has to offer, all the amazing access to information and learning, ridiculously inexpensive education and the most prosperous economy in human history, in the universe. No, that's not good enough, they want their cake and eat it too. And liberals are here telling them that indeed, that's the way to reach their dreams, to take from others and just keep up with the mediocrity and their dreams will come to them.

    You can want the wealth gap to be closed. That's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. It's a good dream, I'm being serious. But you can't force people to behave the way you want them to. You can't force a parent to raise their child with skills that our market values. They drink softdrinks and watch TV and absentee parent, and they live their own dream...much to your dismay. And you can't change that by INCENTIVIZING them, and anyone with sense can admit that.

  4. #24
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You said they were hypocrites, that isn't a misguided person?

    And who says that all rich people take advantage of everyone, ALL the time?

    I would say their opinion is more prominent and meaningful, than anyone else's, because of their status.
    Who knows better than not to be evil, than the Devil?
    A hypocrite is not necessarily 'misguided'. They could be very intentionally that way, giving lip service to what they think people want to hear, and many won't look past that to see that they aren't following through on their own level. A hypocrite is not necessarily someone who is just wealthy, it's someone who says one thing, and does another.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  5. #25
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    I can't say it any better than you have.
    At first glance, this looks like round two of philanthropy.
    As one example of Round one, Rockefeller built the road between the Tetons and Yellowstone, an awesome gift to this Nation.

    How many towns/cities are eternally grateful for the Libraries that Carnegie gave them, such as mine?
    I'm not saying that these Gilded Agers were perfect by any means.
    However, they gave back to the Nation and are the inspiration behind so many of the Philanthropic Foundations to come after them .
    Couldn't agree more, that the old money like Henry Ford, seemed to understand paying his employees enough to buy his cars was a winner.

    Look at Gates, redirecting the wealth of his corporation towards his foundation.

    I'm not advocating the extremes of "over taxing the rich" or "redirecting corporate wealth" thru force. I just think it's about time that the old model of screw them all, as much as possible for market share, has to change. Our definition of success can't be purely based, on excess material wealth.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #26
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,456

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    And who says that all rich people take advantage of everyone, ALL the time?
    vs
    Who knows better than not to be evil, than the Devil?
    You just ****ing called them the Devil. Good gods man, why not label some of us on DP the devil also and make it personal.

    . I just think it's about time that the old model of screw them all, as much as possible for market share, has to change. Our definition of success can't be purely based, on excess material wealth.
    Who the **** do you think you speak for? Who is using a model of "screw them all"? You? YOu are relating the wealthy to literally the Devil, I suspect if we just observe the facts you seem to be ready to burn "witches". Who measures their own life on excess material wealth? Who are these people that you presume to ****ing speak for?

    Your argument is based on a fantasy in your head about things you actually know nothing about as evidenced in your opinion on the matter. You may as well keep appealing to authority as you do in the OP, it's the least offensive of your fallacies.
    Last edited by Mach; 02-24-14 at 03:43 PM.

  7. #27
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,782

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Billionaires have been stepping up to the plate lately to give their opinion and float trial balloons.
    IMV, this is a good thing, even if some of the balloons get popped.
    There will be great things to emerge if this continues.

    My pet project would be an Eisenhower Interstate system of water pipelines, for all the reasons,
    which would be an incredible legacy for the 22nd Century folks to look back at,
    as we ensured a safe and plentiful supply of water to the entire Nation .
    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You said they were hypocrites, that isn't a misguided person?

    And who says that all rich people take advantage of everyone, ALL the time?

    I would say their opinion is more prominent and meaningful, than anyone else's, because of their status.
    Who knows better than not to be evil, than the Devil?
    Physics is Phun

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I thought we were discussing the "rich guys" list that started with Buffet. None of them can legislate anything, they can only opinionate© just like we can. Nothing we discuss here becomes law because we suggest it. Neither does Mr. Buffet et al.

    If I'm missing your point, please explain and I will read it carefully.

    Last I checked, they're wanting to shape policy. Now if they're saying "rich should do xxx because it's the right thing to do", that's one thing. The way they're wording it, they want the government monopoly to throw its weight around.

  9. #29
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    That's B.S. It's about closing the wealth gap via wealth redistribution, primarily taxes on the wealthy, min wage, and salary caps.

    The hypocrisy is what some point out as the absurdity. They pillaged our markets to earn billions. And by pillage I mean freely engaged with others who freely engaged in a marketplace that valued their contribution significantly. Now that they are ultra-wealthy, they sing a new tune. How convenient.

    But the real absurdity IMO is that the market simply isn't valuing things the way some dreamy people believe it should. People don't' really want to take advantage of all our marketplace has to offer, all the amazing access to information and learning, ridiculously inexpensive education and the most prosperous economy in human history, in the universe. No, that's not good enough, they want their cake and eat it too. And liberals are here telling them that indeed, that's the way to reach their dreams, to take from others and just keep up with the mediocrity and their dreams will come to them.

    You can want the wealth gap to be closed. That's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. It's a good dream, I'm being serious. But you can't force people to behave the way you want them to. You can't force a parent to raise their child with skills that our market values. They drink softdrinks and watch TV and absentee parent, and they live their own dream...much to your dismay. And you can't change that by INCENTIVIZING them, and anyone with sense can admit that.
    Couldn't disagree more. Taxes on the wealthy corporations are absurd the way they "dodge, shelter and get breaks". And a realistic, minimum wage increase would benefit everyone, eventually.

    I'd like to see more middle class, not necessarily less wealthy people.



    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    A hypocrite is not necessarily 'misguided'. They could be very intentionally that way, giving lip service to what they think people want to hear, and many won't look past that to see that they aren't following through on their own level. A hypocrite is not necessarily someone who is just wealthy, it's someone who says one thing, and does another.
    mis·guid·ed
    adjective \(ˌ)mis-ˈgī-dəd\

    : having wrong or improper goals or values

    hy·poc·ri·sy
    noun \hi-ˈpä-krə-sē also hī-\

    : the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do : behavior that does not agree with what someone claims to believe or feel

    They sound similar.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #30
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,782

    Re: 5 tycoons who want to close the wealth gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Who the **** do you think you speak for?
    I notice you came in here to dump all over grip's well-meaning thread.
    Maybe you should get a grip on your bashing and present your own ideas to take this Nation forward .
    Physics is Phun

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •