Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 104

Thread: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

  1. #51
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Again, keep playing from the liberal handbook and shoot your opponents down with false accusations related to race. I mentioned race NOT ONCE!!

    The stupidity I refer to is an electorate who suffered through 4 years of Obama incompetence and economic disaster with no relief in sight and ran back to the ballot box to give the idiot four more years.
    The GOP failed to make its case for a plan to improve things, and spent way too much time telling black people they were greedy and only voted for Obama because he's black.

    Also, screaming over and over that Obama is incompetent doesn't actually make a case for him being incompetent. Few people actually share your distorted perception of reality wherein literally every action taken by Obama is seen in a negative light. Even when he does something you actually agree with.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #52
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You're the second liberal who's alluded to race when there was zero mention of race in my comments. It's a typical liberal argument when it comes to this President - if you have no basis of counter-argument, scream race.
    Do you seriously deny conservatives were saying over and over that black people voted for Obama based on race? Don't try and confuse this conversation as being about you personally. You don't even live here. Your opinion isn't relevant to the outcome of our elections.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #53
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    And again they never had to deal with a movement like the tea party. You don't like the president fine I expect that from the right, but let not pretend that he has a willing body to negotiate with. On his inauguration, the GOP were already planning a strategy of resistance. members of the GOP said it themselves that compromise is a bad word. How do you start off from there?


    I repeat there would have been nothing that Romney could have done in this environment. You have republicans who are more conservative than Romney either retiring or changing parties because they don't like the direction their party is going.

    What would Romney do to bring the party back together?
    How would he get the tea party to trust him?
    How would he had gotten the debt ceiling raised?
    That's a pretty convenient cop-out that doesn't have a lot of evidence to back it up.

    1. The first two years of Obama's Presidency, he had a majority of Democrats in both the House and Senate and yet he could get very little done. Republicans for the most part voted in favour of the just under $1 trillion stimulus package adopted in January/February 2009, in Obama's first 60 days in office and Obama and his administration proceeded not to use it on "shovel ready" projects because they couldn't apparently find any and spend a great deal of it on bribing state governments to retain teachers/police/firefighters and other public service employees with stimulus monies even though after a year or so that money dried up and state governments were left to hold the bag and layoff many of these workers anyway - smarter states saw through the scam and refused the money with strings attached.

    2. Obama "delegated" healthcare reform to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid - who proceeded to totally botch it on partisan lines and then when Obama deigned to meet with Republicans, he famously ignored them and petulantly told John McCain "I won the election". He's been in campaign mode every day of his time in office.

    3. Every initiative Obama has begins with a campaign style tour whose sole purpose is to through up straw men, claim the Republicans are evil supporters of those straw men, and then rail against the obstructionist Republicans. If I was a Republican legislator, I'd tell the asshole to go shove it. In 2010, after the Obamacare debacle, the American people told Obama to shove it by overwhelmingly returning the House to Republicans and that's where it's going to stay - the Senate may very well follow suit this year if the Republicans forget to shoot themselves in the foot this time. Unlike Clinton, when the country told him they didn't like the direction he was taking and turned the House over to Gingrich and the Republicans, Obama choose to double down on name calling and bad mouthing the very people he needed to get anything done. Clinton worked with congress after the people spoke, Obama didn't. He's too good to work with congress - they must bow to him - well, that has gotten Obama and the country pretty much nowhere.

    Reagan had a history of working with a Democrat legislature in California - Clinton had a history of working with Republicans in Arkansas - Bush had a history of working with Democrats in Texas - Romney had a history of working with a Democrat legislature in Massachussetts - Obama had a history as a community organizer who couldn't organize his own closet on the federal level. That's the problem.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #54
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,757

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    I read this article The Republican Party's Talent Gap - Alex Roarty - The Atlantic. The last presidential election surprised me. It seemed to me the Republicans were on the defensive not pro-active in the media. I could not believe they ran Romney. The Republican's don't seem to have that WOW factor. They didn't put out a lot that would sway Democrat's to their side. Romney said today he would not be a contender in 2016, he felt it would help Democrats win. D.C. Notebook: Why Mitt Romney won
    The GOP will continue to lose the Presidential election until they re-org like the D's did and shift to the center.

    IMO, if the D's nominated Dennis Kucinich in 2008, McCain would have won, even with Palin. If McCain had chosen Lieberman as his running mate, Obama would have lost--people feared he was too far Left. Had the GOP run a moderate candidate in 2012 who didn't flip flop like Romney, Obama would have lost.

    In fact, that the GOP lost by as wide of a margin that they did to a relatively ineffective presidential incumbent is proof the GOP is in a pickle. It was their Kerry moment. In 2004, Bush was a disaster in the making, but Kerry was an even worse option. Hello Mittens.
    Last edited by calamity; 02-24-14 at 05:44 PM.

  5. #55
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Do you seriously deny conservatives were saying over and over that black people voted for Obama based on race? Don't try and confuse this conversation as being about you personally. You don't even live here. Your opinion isn't relevant to the outcome of our elections.
    Do you seriously deny that black people overwhelmingly voted for Obama based on race? Do you seriously deny that more black people went to the polls to vote for Obama in 2008 than in any other election for a Democrat Presidential candidate?

    Don't confuse the conversation about Obama's incompetence and the problems he's created - not solved - with the colour of his skin. We know how he got into office - now the discussion is what he's done since he got there.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #56
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    That's a pretty convenient cop-out that doesn't have a lot of evidence to back it up.

    1. The first two years of Obama's Presidency, he had a majority of Democrats in both the House and Senate and yet he could get very little done. Republicans for the most part voted in favour of the just under $1 trillion stimulus package adopted in January/February 2009, in Obama's first 60 days in office and Obama and his administration proceeded not to use it on "shovel ready" projects because they couldn't apparently find any and spend a great deal of it on bribing state governments to retain teachers/police/firefighters and other public service employees with stimulus monies even though after a year or so that money dried up and state governments were left to hold the bag and layoff many of these workers anyway - smarter states saw through the scam and refused the money with strings attached.

    2. Obama "delegated" healthcare reform to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid - who proceeded to totally botch it on partisan lines and then when Obama deigned to meet with Republicans, he famously ignored them and petulantly told John McCain "I won the election". He's been in campaign mode every day of his time in office.

    3. Every initiative Obama has begins with a campaign style tour whose sole purpose is to through up straw men, claim the Republicans are evil supporters of those straw men, and then rail against the obstructionist Republicans. If I was a Republican legislator, I'd tell the asshole to go shove it. In 2010, after the Obamacare debacle, the American people told Obama to shove it by overwhelmingly returning the House to Republicans and that's where it's going to stay - the Senate may very well follow suit this year if the Republicans forget to shoot themselves in the foot this time. Unlike Clinton, when the country told him they didn't like the direction he was taking and turned the House over to Gingrich and the Republicans, Obama choose to double down on name calling and bad mouthing the very people he needed to get anything done. Clinton worked with congress after the people spoke, Obama didn't. He's too good to work with congress - they must bow to him - well, that has gotten Obama and the country pretty much nowhere.

    Reagan had a history of working with a Democrat legislature in California - Clinton had a history of working with Republicans in Arkansas - Bush had a history of working with Democrats in Texas - Romney had a history of working with a Democrat legislature in Massachussetts - Obama had a history as a community organizer who couldn't organize his own closet on the federal level. That's the problem.

    So Obama gets all the blame for things not getting done in Washington right now? This congress is doing a great job and are willing to work with Obama, but he refuses to give them anything?

    Is this what I am hearing?

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  7. #57
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    It may have been wise after all for Majority Leader Cantor to cut the Number of official work days for the House from 126 to 114 days this year.

    The GOP has already announced they are hopelessly deadlocked within their own caucus,
    unable to come up with 218 votes for anything major, such as what they promised .
    Physics is Phun

  8. #58
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Do any of you recall a House Majority Leader beginning the new year with a plan that was a "blank sheet" of paper?
    As we've seen out of these guys for over three years now, you juswt can't make this stuff up .
    Physics is Phun

  9. #59
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    You hit the nail on the head there. Perhaps unintentionally. Nobody had a clear idea of what his positions were. He was a moderate one minute and a TPer the next.

    Kind of like being against gay marriage and then for it. Oh, that's right, Obama was just "evolving."
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  10. #60
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Republicans Presidential Campaigns

    Yet they can't keep their yaps shut.
    DEMs could never have dreamed of the gifts of Nugent/Abbott and Wolf/Kansas in the last week.
    If for no other reason, folks should stay tuned to the GOP for their next Akin moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    It's a pattern, innit? Every discussion of US federal politics becomes post after post of conservatives mewling to each other about how the White House was stolen from their man by media bias, voter ignorance and/or subterfuge. Somehow they can't see past their own impotence and offended sense of ownership of the presidency to the fact that they (conservatives) have been chipping away at their own constituency and alienating voters in whole blocs.
    If the Republican Party comes back to the White House it'll be because they've managed to bring more of the center and center-left into their fold and been able to make the conservatives keep their yaps shut.
    Physics is Phun

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •