Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 156

Thread: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I assumed nothing. His driver broke the law and he is responsible. It is particularly noteworthy given the fact that he has launched a campaign about driver and pedestrian safety. You can excuse it all you want, but many people are going to see it differently than you. There's no doubt that this story will hurt him politically
    Ya sure did, but let's clear up a few mis-facts of yours... it isn't a LAW, it is civil code. You violate civil code and get citation. You break a law and get cuffs and a tour of a local jail. next security details do act differently than mommy mobiles. Like it or not they ignore certain civil codes and if there are any threats against the Mayor the security detail doesn't take chances.

    If the reporter caught the Mayor heading to Walmart in his private car, at the wheel driving like this, yeah have fun. But he was leaving a public event anyone with a grudge knows about. I know it chaps some civilians but an LE driver of a security detail does stand a tad above civil codes when it comes to the safety of the VIP he is charged with safeguarding.

    I have no doubt many see it differently, but I doubt it hurts him much- those who don't like him will continue to do just that. Those who support him will shrug it off as he still is better than....... Those like me, know North East Yankees drive like insane folks at the best of times. What I saw the driver do, roll stop signs and speed is absolutely no different than what I saw in Philly/NJ/ New York/ New Hampshire/Mass/ even quaint Maine... the joke many Penn folks tell is, "Oh he must be from NY" if they see a driver drive crazy.

    Now again you ASS-U-ME the Mayor knew the driver rolled signs, sped and spit on the sidewalk. You ASS-U-ME that LE security details don't have approval to ignore civil codes IF they in their highly professional opinion cause no harm and it helps safeguard their VIP.

    I ask again- what would you have him do as being 'responsible'???

  2. #72
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Mr. De Blasio is a mayor, not a police officer. If he hadn't been preachy on the topic, this event would have gone unnoticed by everyone.

    IMHO, this was hypocritical, not catastrophic. He's not a paragon of evil. But he set a poor example on a topic he seems to be promoting. I'm not calling for the death penalty, just recognition of a false face.
    If I take as a given that his security arrangements are a necessary evil, it is reasonable to me that his driver do certain basic things to make the job of someone trying to hurt the mayor more difficult. I have no more issue with this than I would with the mayor wearing a ballistic vest despite the fact that the average citizen is not allowed to.

    If the question is the risk-benefit analysis of the tactics used, that would be a whole different story, but that's not what's happening here. This is like complaining that the Secret Service can walk into the White House armed while average citizens can not. Duly appointed authority figures are given powers that most of us do not have because it has been decided that they need them to do their job.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #73
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It is a violation of the law. Your example does not apply to this event.
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Please show the portion of the law which prohibits the mayor's protection detail from doing what it has been observed doing. Not the portion of the law that anyone else would've been cited for violating -- the portion of the law which says his protection detail can't do that.
    I'd like to see some actual legal references out of either you or ludin, since you're making a very specific assertion.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #74
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    No, sorry. If you need to be someplace at a certain time to do your job, you do what everybody else does -- you hit the street early enough to get there on time. Failure to do doesn't give you the right to break the law, it just means you suck at your job and should be replaced.
    So you never go 10 mph over the speed limit? How...conformist of you.

  5. #75
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Ya sure did, but let's clear up a few mis-facts of yours... it isn't a LAW, it is civil code. You violate civil code and get citation. You break a law and get cuffs and a tour of a local jail. next security details do act differently than mommy mobiles. Like it or not they ignore certain civil codes and if there are any threats against the Mayor the security detail doesn't take chances.

    If the reporter caught the Mayor heading to Walmart in his private car, at the wheel driving like this, yeah have fun. But he was leaving a public event anyone with a grudge knows about. I know it chaps some civilians but an LE driver of a security detail does stand a tad above civil codes when it comes to the safety of the VIP he is charged with safeguarding.

    I have no doubt many see it differently, but I doubt it hurts him much- those who don't like him will continue to do just that. Those who support him will shrug it off as he still is better than....... Those like me, know North East Yankees drive like insane folks at the best of times. What I saw the driver do, roll stop signs and speed is absolutely no different than what I saw in Philly/NJ/ New York/ New Hampshire/Mass/ even quaint Maine... the joke many Penn folks tell is, "Oh he must be from NY" if they see a driver drive crazy.

    Now again you ASS-U-ME the Mayor knew the driver rolled signs, sped and spit on the sidewalk. You ASS-U-ME that LE security details don't have approval to ignore civil codes IF they in their highly professional opinion cause no harm and it helps safeguard their VIP.

    I ask again- what would you have him do as being 'responsible'???
    The civil code is part of the law and there is no evidence that the drivers were responding to any threat.

    The security detail is not above the law and there is no evidence that the drivers were responding to any threat.

    What people in Okla-freakin-homa think, or even people in Philly, Mass, etc think, doesn't really matter. It's what his constituents think. And while I don't think this is going to lead to an impeachment, it does make him look bad which is what I said in the very first post I posted in this thread.

    And again, I did not assume anything. Please stop misrepresenting what I've said.

    And what I would have him do is to give clear instructions to his drivers that they should obey the traffic laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #76
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    So you never go 10 mph over the speed limit? How...conformist of you.
    No, more like smart. I live in deer country. Not speeding gives me a greater ability to stop before Bambi plasters themselves all over my hood.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #77
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I'd like to see some actual legal references out of either you or ludin, since you're making a very specific assertion.
    Do you seriously doubt that there are laws which prohibit speeding?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #78
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Do you seriously doubt that there are laws which prohibit speeding?
    I am asking you to point to the law or ordinance that proves that the mayor's security detail does not have the legal authority to speed.

    Please do not re-frame the question or change the subject.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #79
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Do you seriously doubt that there are laws which prohibit speeding?
    Yeah, I do. They are civil codes. Besides, I don't know the codes in NYC, perhaps city vehicles on city business are exempt.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Are you really saying that - online or not - it is inappropriate to criticize a politician that seems to flout the very laws that he preaches? That's all I did you know. My comments in the thread were apolitical. It was reported that a politician was touting traffic safety and then didn't seem to feel that he was subject to those regulations or ideas. I did criticize him for that. So, instead of making this about me, or my rights of criticism, how about telling me why I'm wrong and why he should not be subject to criticism. I'm amenable to explanation - if I'm wrong to do this and you make a good case why, I'll retract my statements. That's the "debate" part of this. FWIW, I also criticized his predecessor, albeit for other reasons. That is what we do here. I hope you're not defending him because he belongs to a party that you support. I'm an equal opportunity politician-basher.
    What I am really saying is it is inappropriate for those ignorant of even the basics (it is a violation of civil code not the law) to attempt to comment on things they know not of.

    The politician wasn't driving, did he order the driver to roll stop signs and speed?

    I can and will take to task those who are ignorant of the facts, and or misapply them.

    You ASS-U-Me way too much, and forget the Mayor is a target to be protected. Like I told another poster, catch him driving his own vehicle violating civil code and ya got something.

    Now who said I wanted you to retract a damn thing? Leave that crap up there for all to see. Ignorance and misstatements, but I DAMN sure can rely.

    When it comes to 'supporting' the Mayor, ya can kiss my shiny hiney, around here 'New York City' is said as a cuss word. I have little concern for big city anybodies, no matter their political lean, pay grade, job title.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •