Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 156

Thread: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

  1. #131
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,691

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Protection detail, on duty, is considered be "on a call". Lights and sirens are not necessary for police to meet this bar.
    no they are not. they are only allowed to do so if the situation calls for them to exit in a hurry. there was no such cause for such action.
    ON DUTY doesn't matter one bit, and no it doesn't mean on a call. you can be on duty but not on a call or responding to a call.

  2. #132
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Well there's a difference that one is speeding and the other is using highly illegal drugs that impact a person's mental state. Apples and oranges. Just because two things are illegal doesn't mean I have to have the same standard in my tolerance of them especially if they are so different.
    No difference at all if someone else is driving. Or speeding is worse and worse yet if drugs are influencing the driver.

    Why would anyone be concerned about another person's mental state unless they were directly affected? I walk around during moments of homicidal rage but I never kill anybody. Apples and orages, eaten wile driving and under the influence of drugs are much more dangerous than I am.

  3. #133
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    As I've already informed you, your link is inaccurate. It shows A PORTION of NY STATE law, NYC has exemptions and get to make their own traffic code.
    I have yet to see anyone post a link to those exceptions.

    Besides, the security angle is nonsense anyway. Our previous mayor used to ride the subway to work and back. There's no need to run stop signs and speed, especially while the mayor is engaged in a highly publicized campaign to improve road and pedestrian safety

    One has to be politically naive to not recognize how negatively that would be perceived
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #134
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,691

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    As I've already informed you, your link is inaccurate. It shows A PORTION of NY STATE law, NYC has exemptions and get to make their own traffic code.
    those exceptions only apply to emergency situations.

  5. #135
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    he ran through 2 or 3 stop signs and was speeding 15 mpg over the speed limit in is breaking the law traffic laws.
    they are not responding to an emergency situation they do not have permission to break traffic laws.
    Not accurate at all. Emergency responders must have lights and sirens going to qualify under every jurisdiction I can find, however police do not. As already stated, police in on duty protection detail are considered on a call.

  6. #136
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    those exceptions only apply to emergency situations.
    No, they do not. NYC gets to roll it's own traffic code. This isn't unusual. Large cities in many states get the same exemption.

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,691

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, they do not. NYC gets to roll it's own traffic code. This isn't unusual. Large cities in many states get the same exemption.
    you are wrong sorry you can't accept it. they do not get to write their own traffic code, and no many large cities do not get the same exemptions.
    you have provided 0 evidence and any cop will tell you that they are required unless in emergency situation or responding to a call they have to obey traffic laws.

    on call =/= responding to a call.

    his driver broke the traffic laws by running stop signs and speeding up to 15 mph over the speed limit in a non-emergency situation he should be handed the appropriate fines and violation for such reckless driving.
    Last edited by ludin; 02-23-14 at 08:32 PM.

  8. #138
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I have yet to see anyone post a link to those exceptions.

    Besides, the security angle is nonsense anyway. Our previous mayor used to ride the subway to work and back. There's no need to run stop signs and speed, especially while the mayor is engaged in a highly publicized campaign to improve road and pedestrian safety

    One has to be politically naive to not recognize how negatively that would be perceived
    Once again, NOT exceptions. Not talking exceptions in the post you're responding to. The City has exemption from the state code in favor of their own. The make their own traffic law.

    Don't care if you think there's a need for them to drive the way they do. They are on duty, on a call and exempt from traffic law, NYC or state. They however, must follow department and city policy.

    You are correct as to perception. So I should check those recent Obama is a hypocite gotcha threads to ensure you are saying the same about that?

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    No difference at all if someone else is driving. Or speeding is worse and worse yet if drugs are influencing the driver.

    Why would anyone be concerned about another person's mental state unless they were directly affected? I walk around during moments of homicidal rage but I never kill anybody. Apples and orages, eaten wile driving and under the influence of drugs are much more dangerous than I am.
    Because as the mayor of New York and the way drugs like cocaine or heroine affect the brain, it would be impossible for him to not impact the lives of others if he were using those drugs. Purchasing drugs also fuels criminal organizations within the city which makes crime worse.

    Speeding doesn't equate to drug use, don't try to make that argument.

  10. #140
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    you are wrong sorry you can't accept it. they do not get to write their own traffic code, and no many large cities do not get the same exemptions.
    you have provided 0 evidence and any cop will tell you that they are required unless in emergency situation or responding to a call they have to obey traffic laws.

    on call =/= responding to a call.
    You haven't a clue.

    (e) State law provisions superseded.
    Pursuant to authority provided by 1642 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law, the following provisions of such law shall not be effective in the City of New York: 1112, 1142(b), 1150, 1151, 1152, 1153, 1156(b), 1157, 1171, 1201, 1202, and 1234.
    Emergency vehicle (authorized). An "emergency vehicle (authorized)" shall mean every police vehicle, fire vehicle, emergency ambulance service vehicle, and every other emergency vehicle as defined in 101 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law.
    Law enforcement officer. A "law enforcement officer" shall mean a police officer or any authorized agent of the Department of Transportation.
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/trafrule.pdf

    On a call and responding to a call are exactly the same thing where it comes to traffic law. And no, any cop, of which there are many in my immediate family will not tell you that. Just as the CHP officers I've grew up with and known for decades won't.

    They won't tell me that, because it just isn't the case.
    Last edited by clownboy; 02-23-14 at 08:39 PM.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •