Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 156

Thread: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

  1. #101
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    If I take as a given that his security arrangements are a necessary evil, it is reasonable to me that his driver do certain basic things to make the job of someone trying to hurt the mayor more difficult. I have no more issue with this than I would with the mayor wearing a ballistic vest despite the fact that the average citizen is not allowed to.

    If the question is the risk-benefit analysis of the tactics used, that would be a whole different story, but that's not what's happening here. This is like complaining that the Secret Service can walk into the White House armed while average citizens can not. Duly appointed authority figures are given powers that most of us do not have because it has been decided that they need them to do their job.
    I'll concede the tactic but not the timing. Of course he's important and famous and rich and he's the Mayor of New York which is one of very few Mayoral positions that will make you nationally famous. It's good security, as it should be. Perhaps if during his impassioned plea for greater safety, he should have mentioned that there were exceptions to the rule for important people and that this should not be viewed as permission for unimportant people to do it. Then this wouldn't be news, just the same old song.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Yes, or no: Is it your assertion that it is illegal for police officers acting in an official capacity to exceed the speed limit?
    police officers that are not on a code 3 emergency with their lights on with sirens are not allow to speed or break other traffic laws. the fact that they do is of no consequence if they do they are breaking traffic laws. just as they are breaking the law then they do it to run through a red light and not have to wait. which i have seen them do as well.
    that is not the discussion here though that is a strawman.

    it doesn't matter if you are a cop or the president of the US the law still applies to you as well. you don't get a special pass just because.

    in this case the driver of the mayors car broke the law and should be cited the various fines of breaking those laws.

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,625

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The civil code is just as much a part of the law as the criminal code is. As far as the CBS article goes, I didn't see the link. If you repost the link, I will read to determine if it applies.
    The big difference is a traffic code violation isn't criminal, an arrest, nor part of a criminal record. Past a media attempt at gotcha, it isn't changing anything and doesn't negate the security detail's duty to safeguard the mayor.

    I don't link well, but it is a simple matter to GOOGLE/BING cbs news mayor runs stop sign.... several other sources say the same thing- if you can google NY traffic stuff I reckon ya can handle this....

  4. #104
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It is your assertion that the mayor's driver is exempt from the law - an assertion you have yet to prove
    If you can't even answer a simple yes or no question, we're done.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #105
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    read the OP so that you know what you are talking about. if you don't read the OP then you don't know what we are discussing and have 0 support for anything that you say.
    if you had read the first post in this thread like i have then you would already know
    that the driver of the car went through 2 or 3 stop signs and was speeding up to 15 mph over the posted speed limit. that is breaking the law.

    so you are the only one in this thread that has failed to backup their assertion.
    Yes, or no: Is it your assertion that it is illegal for police officers acting in an official capacity to exceed the speed limit?

    ETA: Missed this:

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    police officers that are not on a code 3 emergency with their lights on with sirens are not allow to speed or break other traffic laws. the fact that they do is of no consequence if they do they are breaking traffic laws. just as they are breaking the law then they do it to run through a red light and not have to wait. which i have seen them do as well.
    that is not the discussion here though that is a strawman.

    it doesn't matter if you are a cop or the president of the US the law still applies to you as well. you don't get a special pass just because.

    in this case the driver of the mayors car broke the law and should be cited the various fines of breaking those laws.
    Can you point me to the portion of the law that restricts this authority specifically to circumstances when lights and siren are employed? This isn't a strawman, to me it's the whole point, because the protection detail is being provided by on-duty police officers.
    Last edited by TacticalEvilDan; 02-23-14 at 07:45 PM.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #106
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    police officers that are not on a code 3 emergency with their lights on with sirens are not allow to speed or break other traffic laws. the fact that they do is of no consequence if they do they are breaking traffic laws. just as they are breaking the law then they do it to run through a red light and not have to wait. which i have seen them do as well.
    that is not the discussion here though that is a strawman.

    it doesn't matter if you are a cop or the president of the US the law still applies to you as well. you don't get a special pass just because.

    in this case the driver of the mayors car broke the law and should be cited the various fines of breaking those laws.
    That first is not true. Example, on duty undercover officers and security details.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    The big difference is a traffic code violation isn't criminal, an arrest, nor part of a criminal record. Past a media attempt at gotcha, it isn't changing anything and doesn't negate the security detail's duty to safeguard the mayor.

    I don't link well, but it is a simple matter to GOOGLE/BING cbs news mayor runs stop sign.... several other sources say the same thing- if you can google NY traffic stuff I reckon ya can handle this....

    traffic laws are still laws this is what we call nit picking. the fact still remains that the driver of the SUV broke traffic laws in a non-emergancy situation in which any other person would be cited with moving violation and given that the speed was 15 mph or more over the speed limit probably reckless endangerment.

    his license would be suspended.

  8. #108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That first is not true. Example, on duty undercover officers and security details.
    no it isn't unless they are in an emergency situation or responding with lights and sirens to an emergency situation they still have to obey traffic laws. period end of story.

  9. #109
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    The big difference is a traffic code violation isn't criminal, an arrest, nor part of a criminal record. Past a media attempt at gotcha, it isn't changing anything and doesn't negate the security detail's duty to safeguard the mayor.

    I don't link well, but it is a simple matter to GOOGLE/BING cbs news mayor runs stop sign.... several other sources say the same thing- if you can google NY traffic stuff I reckon ya can handle this....
    I never said a traffic code violation is criminal. I said that violating it was against the law.

    BTW, you can be put in jail for speeding.

    And I did Google the story and found one by CBS but it had no link or description of the rules concerning when and why police officers can disregard the law.

    Mayor de Blasio’s Caravan Caught Speeding, Violating Traffic Laws CBS New York
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #110
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: NYC mayor's SUV caught breaking traffic laws

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    If you can't even answer a simple yes or no question, we're done.
    I accept your surrender
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •