Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 268

Thread: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

  1. #171
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    i never said that.
    The NAACP advocates for policies which help black people. Some of those policies are race-neutral in language but race-specific in effect and so they have spill-over beyond the black community - policies like expansion of welfare. Other policies that they favor actively harm white people while benefiting black people - policies like affirmative action, hiring quotas, support for small minority owned business programs.

    Some NAACP policies work to actively harm whites. This is exactly what the KKK does with respect to blacks.

    What is it that you disagree with?

  2. #172
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    How did the exit pollsters determine the voters were racists?

    The asked the voters if the race of the candidate was the primary reason that they voted for the candidate of their choice. More Obama voters voted for Obama BECAUSE he was black than voted for McCain because he was white. Judging a person, not as an individual, but as a racial symbol of some kind is a racist act. It dehumanizes people.

  3. #173
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    The NAACP advocates for policies which help black people. Some of those policies are race-neutral in language but race-specific in effect and so they have spill-over beyond the black community - policies like expansion of welfare. Other policies that they favor actively harm white people while benefiting black people - policies like affirmative action, hiring quotas, support for small minority owned business programs.

    Some NAACP policies work to actively harm whites. This is exactly what the KKK does with respect to blacks.

    What is it that you disagree with?
    First of all you can't legitimately compare those organizations without looking like a spokesperson for the KKK so unless you have a white sheet hanging in your closet you might want to nip that one in the bud.

    An organization such as the NAACP that seeks to level the playing field by assuring fair representation and opportunity in schools or in the work place is not targeting white people. Whites may have their advantage reduced indirectly by those efforts but that's different.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  4. #174
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The NAACP does not believe that black people have different human character or ability or that black people are superior to others - part one of the definition does not apply.
    Either definition applies. Think about it.

    You can be a racist for having a prejudice based on race WITHOUT that prejudice being based on the belief spelled out in definition #1.

    The NAACP does not discriminate against nor promote prejudice against people of other races - support of the advancement and betterment of the lives of one group is not, by definition, support of the disadvancement and worsening of the lives of other groups.
    Sure it is, when it gets to specifics. If they have an airy goal - all blacks, and all people for that matter, should be free to strive to their highest potential - then that's not racist. It becomes racist when they translate that goal into policies specifics which mandate that less qualified blacks be admitted in place of more qualified whites, or that a small minority owned business be granted government contracts even if other businesses submit more favorable bids. Now we're talking zero-sum choices - what one party gets, the other party is denied.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Good catch, but it's mostly beyond the point. Almost all organizations have rules in place to preserve the goals and character of the organization in order to prevent a highjacking from occurring. This was a favorite tactic of American Communist back in the 20-50s. They'd join an organization, scope it out, then they'd organize a mass enrollment where they constituted a majority of the members, call for elections, vote themselves into office, subvert the mission of the organization and reorient it towards some Communist mission and they'd deplete the resources of the organization and then abandon it.

    I'm pretty sure that the NAACP has some provision in its charter to prevent the KKK from mass enrolling, taking over the NAACP and then spending the NAACP resources on KKK propaganda.

    Christian groups on college campuses often admit people who are not Christian but who are curious or working towards adopting the faith. Same with Muslim groups, same with Mormon groups. What they object to, and what college administrator push on them, is to allow such people to lead groups and to change the mission of the group to be more inclusive.

    The NAACP is not race-inclusive in its mission even though it admits some token whites either as spectacles, as supporters of the mission, or as some form of observer.
    I see little difference in your description of the NAACP and the tea party.

    Conservatives feel threatened when minorities try to organize themselves or try to speak with one voice. Hence, the relentless attacks on their organizations and community leaders.

  6. #176
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    First of all you can't legitimately compare those organizations without looking like a spokesperson for the KKK so unless you have a white sheet hanging in your closet you might want to nip that one in the bud.
    Screw that noise - that's a disqualification tactic that you're trying to use in order to save yourself from admitting you're wrong. It's a pretty pathetic tactic too, I might add.

    The point in play here is a uniform application of the principle that you're advocating.

  7. #177
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Conservatives feel threatened when minorities try to organize themselves or try to speak with one voice.
    They do? How about that. I did not know this. You must be a conservative who does know this because you are reporting your first hand experience. Right?

    It's odd though, I'm a conservative, like you, but I don't feel that way and have never heard any other conservatives express that viewpoint, but then again, conservatism is a broad tent and I shouldn't be surprised that there are people like you who do feel as you do. Thanks for sharing your personal feelings.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    The asked the voters if the race of the candidate was the primary reason that they voted for the candidate of their choice. More Obama voters voted for Obama BECAUSE he was black than voted for McCain because he was white. Judging a person, not as an individual, but as a racial symbol of some kind is a racist act. It dehumanizes people.
    It's even more racist to vote for McCain because Obama is black or born in Kenya or a Muslim. Dehumanizing people is what conservatives do best.

  9. #179
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Screw that noise - that's a disqualification tactic that you're trying to use in order to save yourself from admitting you're wrong. It's a pretty pathetic tactic too, I might add.

    The point in play here is a uniform application of the principle that you're advocating.
    Now who's panties are in a bunch? hmmmmmm If you don't want to be associated with that group then don't make such ridiculous comparisons that only serve to legitimize a hate based organization that has killed and tortured innocent people for years based on nothing other then the color of their skin. Find an organization that works to promote policies that serve the needs of it's members to use instead of one with a wholly different mission.

    I am not applying YOUR uniform application because you tried twisting my words and we got derailed.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  10. #180
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: "NYC: More Black Babies Killed by Abortion Than Born " This is so sad

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Either definition applies. Think about it.

    You can be a racist for having a prejudice based on race WITHOUT that prejudice being based on the belief spelled out in definition #1.



    Sure it is, when it gets to specifics. If they have an airy goal - all blacks, and all people for that matter, should be free to strive to their highest potential - then that's not racist. It becomes racist when they translate that goal into policies specifics which mandate that less qualified blacks be admitted in place of more qualified whites, or that a small minority owned business be granted government contracts even if other businesses submit more favorable bids. Now we're talking zero-sum choices - what one party gets, the other party is denied.
    1. In that case, it's not prejudice - wanting to improve yourself and improve your access to a better life does not explicitly or implicitly require the detrimental treatment of others.

    2. Since when does the NAACP mandate anything? Since when does the NAACP govern college/university admissions? Since when does the NAACP grant government contracts? You may be indicating that colleges, universities, government etc. are racially prejudice in application of their policies, but that doesn't mean the NAACP is. The NAACP pushes for better access for black people to these mostly or partially government funded services. In many cases, your Supreme Court has ruled that such policies are not racially discriminatory because they, in effect, counterbalance racial discrimination that came before them.

    Rather than claim the NAACP is bad or racist, maybe your argument is against those who try to balance out past prejudice with racial bias today. I'm sure the NAACP would tell you that every white young man/woman, every asian young man/woman, etc. who wants to go to university/college should have the opportunity to go - expand access for all - stop pricing education out of the hands of the poor, who are mostly minorities, and perpetuating a cycle of poverty - but their focus is on improving the lot of black people, period.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •