Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100

Thread: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, as we know, whites in Mississippi have never engaged in any kind of animosity towards black. As a matter of fact, the state repudiated the KKK and you'd be hard to find a single white person from Mississippi who is in any way connected to the KKK.
    This happened recently. I happen to live in the south and hear stories about the days before and during the civil rights movement and the only person I know of who was associated with the KKK is ..... a Democrat Senator.

  2. #62
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, as we know, whites in Mississippi have never engaged in any kind of animosity towards black. As a matter of fact, the state repudiated the KKK and you'd be hard to find a single white person from Mississippi who is in any way connected to the KKK.
    Yes, we know that those Mississippians just spew racial epithets out involuntarily for no reason whatsoever, any time, day or night, they can't help themselves, no self control with them people...


  3. #63
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    This happened recently. I happen to live in the south and hear stories about the days before and during the civil rights movement and the only person I know of who was associated with the KKK is ..... a Democrat Senator.
    Well, isn't that far more convenient than a false flag operation in a state not known for its history with racism. Did you know that the song Mississippi Goddamn was written because of the way in which Mississippi stood up against racism?

    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #64
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,540
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Two racist white guys were seen in the area (or at least they were heard saying racist things). A racist gesture occurred. It is possible that they didn't do it, but circumstantially it looks like it.

    That is more evidence than "I think it's a hoax because I want to."
    I didn't say it was a hoax, just that a hoax was a possibility. You said witnesses saw two white guys do it, and that's not true.

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Do you have any proof that this was a 'false flag' operation?
    So you need proof now to mention that as a possibility? Why? It's not like that sort of thing never happens, is it now. I think it's more likely to be a hoax than real because it's such a gross provocation typical of such hoaxes -- hanging effigies from trees, scrawling racial epithets on people's dorm room doors and campus walls, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    So there's a possible indication that two white guy may have had something to do with it, but nothing concrete...but there's not even a possible indication that it was a false flag operation, other than in the minds of those who want to believe it.

    'scuse you. "Everyone" isn't even close to everyone - it's the blacks and the non-racist whites who get upset. Those whites who are racist or who tolerate racists either don't care about or even support that statue being dishonored.
    I doubt that there are as many racists on campus as you seem to think.

    And the Gulf Coast is not the Delta. Out here in Washington state it's like there's two states - the liberals on the west side of the Cascades, and the conservatives on the eastern side of the Cascades. Same thing in Mississippi - the Delta's like no other part of America. Not only that, but you'll find that the half of MS north of Jackson is also significantly different - with generally greater overt racial tension - than the half of MS south of Jackson. But as I pointed out - having been a racist, remember - once they're out of earshot of the blacks (or of whites they haven't yet come to trust), out comes the n-words and all the racist assumptions and prejudice. You haven't seen it because you haven't been a real part of the community. I've seen it - I've lived it.

    But when it comes to the college campuses, an interesting thing happened in the 2012 MS GOP primary. All the counties with the highest percentages of African-American populations - the Delta and the area around Jackson - voted for Romney...and so did the counties where Ole Miss and MSU are located. But pretty much the rest of Mississippi's 82 counties - the whitest counties - voted for Santorum. Now one would think that all that was normal since Romney was seen as more liberal than Santorum, and the heavily-black and the college counties would naturally be more liberal...

    ...but less than one percent of those who voted in the GOP primary were black. This begs the question of why is it that - given that the Delta is to this day ground zero for racism in America - the whites in the counties that were most heavily black voted for the less conservative Romney, yet the whites in the 'whitest' counties voted for Santorum (who has his own problems with race - Google "Santorum blah people" sometime). That's an interesting question, and I still haven't figured it out yet.
    You keep describing the whole state of Mississippi as if Ole Miss culture mirrors it. Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. It's an institution of higher learning.

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    This happened recently. I happen to live in the south and hear stories about the days before and during the civil rights movement and the only person I know of who was associated with the KKK is ..... a Democrat Senator.
    Well, that figures since Democratic Party membership was required for KKK membership.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Well, isn't that far more convenient than a false flag operation in a state not known for its history with racism. Did you know that the song Mississippi Goddamn was written because of the way in which Mississippi stood up against racism?

    No ****! Somebody wrote a song about it? Well, that changes everything....

  6. #66
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    No ****! Somebody wrote a song about it? Well, that changes everything....
    Well no, I'm simply saying that there is no way that a state like Mississippi would have racial tension. It's not known for violence, racism, prejudiced racial views or any kind of animosity that would be negative towards blacks.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #67
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,471

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I doubt that there are as many racists on campus as you seem to think.
    And I doubt that there are as few racists as you seem to think. Remember, I was once one of them - I know whereof I speak. I once lived that life - including at college, since I attended at Mississippi State University over in Starkville. It is true that the college towns will be by nature more liberal than other areas...but only in comparison to the local cultural norms.


    You keep describing the whole state of Mississippi as if Ole Miss culture mirrors it. Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. It's an institution of higher learning.
    No, quite the opposite - Ole Miss, like other colleges, will normally be more liberal than the local cultural norms...but if you knew Mississippi half as well as you seem to think you do, you'd know that "more liberal than the local cultural norms" ain't saying much at all.

    Well, that figures since Democratic Party membership was required for KKK membership.
    You're making the mistake of conflating Democratic v. Republican with Liberal v. Conservative...so I've got another story for you:

    One of our family acquaintances was a guy by the name of James O. Eastland. He was a U.S. senator for many years (my grandmother used to sell honest-to-goodness moonshine in his store) and he even offered to get me into the Naval Academy, which I declined - I somehow realized that I just wasn't ready for that, and I was right.

    Anyway, if you'll dig deeply into Sen. Eastland's story, you'll find that this particular senator (who was twice president pro tempore) was as conservative as they come - and for a generation, he was quite literally the most powerful racist in America - Google "White Citizens Council", which later became "Conservative Citizens Council". He was the driving force behind making those happen. And then there was his "Academy System" of schools to preserve segregation after the Civil Rights Act - and most of those academies are all-white even today...including Indianola Academy where I attended in 1976 - even today, IA is 100% white...in a 71% black county. Think about that.

    Yes, Eastland was a Democrat...and he was very, very conservative. You see, the South never really cared about being Democratic so much as they did about being Conservative...which is why the Democratic "Solid South" became the solid Republican base of today. Nixon understood this, which was why his "Southern Strategy" - wherein he would get the Souths "negrophobe vote" - would work to get him elected...and he was right.

    In other words, guy, just as I wouldn't presume to school you on Texas politics and Hispanic issues in Texas, don't try to school me on MS politics and African-American issues...because you're only showing just how much you don't know.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss



    Such gross and stupid incidents of racial incitement often turn out to be false flag operations.
    Far more than most these incidents turn out to be perpetrated by minorities themselves for political or sympathy reasons.

    They want to keep the lie of racism alive because it's a perfect excuse for them.....

  9. #69
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I didn't say it was a hoax, just that a hoax was a possibility. You said witnesses saw two white guys do it, and that's not true.



    So you need proof now to mention that as a possibility? Why? It's not like that sort of thing never happens, is it now. I think it's more likely to be a hoax than real because it's such a gross provocation typical of such hoaxes -- hanging effigies from trees, scrawling racial epithets on people's dorm room doors and campus walls, etc.



    I doubt that there are as many racists on campus as you seem to think.



    You keep describing the whole state of Mississippi as if Ole Miss culture mirrors it. Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. It's an institution of higher learning.




    Well, that figures since Democratic Party membership was required for KKK membership.



    Right.

    Ole Miss is an institute of higher learning in the state of Mississippi.

  10. #70
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,865

    Re: Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss

    The constant attempts to tie the KKK to today's Democratic Party, as if either party resembles their name-only counterparts from 100 years ago, is laughably dishonest.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •