Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 146

Thread: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

  1. #111
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,887

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Okay, I'm going to be an educated bitch now. In fact the earth does not "circle" the sun, it "orbits" around the sun, it might even "revolve" around the sun, but it isn't a "circle" and unfortunately in today's education-less level, it might give some the idea that orbits are circular, which they effectively are not.
    The earth's orbit around the sun is nearly circular(3.3% variation)

    On the plus side, 34% of Europeans also think the sun orbits the Earth.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    So much for our union run education system.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Still, Earth going around the Sun is....pretty basic.
    That it is. It may be more on the retentive skills or perhaps on the will to learn. There are a lot of kids these days that go to school only because they have to, they are not at all interested in learning.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #114
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,033

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    That it is. It may be more on the retentive skills or perhaps on the will to learn. There are a lot of kids these days that go to school only because they have to, they are not at all interested in learning.
    Thats my thought as well. Kids simply arent listening, and schools are letting them graduate anyway.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Thats my thought as well. Kids simply arent listening, and schools are letting them graduate anyway.
    Exactly, schools these days are more worried about self esteem and feelings than learning. Show up and graduate, learning not mandatory.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #116
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    That it is. It may be more on the retentive skills or perhaps on the will to learn. There are a lot of kids these days that go to school only because they have to, they are not at all interested in learning.
    That has ALWAYS been true. I know I didn't really care that much, if I did I would have gotten straight As. I was content to coast by with Bs and Cs.

    Regardless, this fact seems to be like a "2+2=4" thing. It's like the first thing you learn about space, it's not Steven Hawking level stuff. We should change around some songs a bit, maybe that would do it "Twinkle Twinkle little star, the Sun is a star that the Earth goes around" or something.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #117
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Okay, I'm going to be an educated bitch now. In fact the earth does not "circle" the sun, it "orbits" around the sun, it might even "revolve" around the sun, but it isn't a "circle" and unfortunately in today's education-less level, it might give some the idea that orbits are circular, which they effectively are not.
    Even if they think it's circular, that would be a big improvement.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,033

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Exactly, schools these days are more worried about self esteem and feelings than learning. Show up and graduate, learning not mandatory.
    Of course. its ultimately the parents fault. They are primarily responsible for raising their children, not society. They let the schools get away with it.

  9. #119
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So much for our union run education system.
    You would make this about unions.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: 1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That has ALWAYS been true. I know I didn't really care that much, if I did I would have gotten straight As. I was content to coast by with Bs and Cs.

    Regardless, this fact seems to be like a "2+2=4" thing. It's like the first thing you learn about space, it's not Steven Hawking level stuff. We should change around some songs a bit, maybe that would do it "Twinkle Twinkle little star, the Sun is a star that the Earth goes around" or something.
    You would think. Back in my day if a kid didn't learn, they kept them in the same grade as long as it took to achieve what that grade was suppose to teach them. No asking of parents if they could or worrying about personal self esteem. It was worrying about what the kid learned or didn't. I don't know what happened, knowing the earth revolves around the sun was pretty much 6th grade science if not before.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •