Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 242

Thread: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

  1. #61
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Leaves open the opportunity to abridge the right to vote for other reasons. "Race, color and previous condition of servitude does not cover conviction of a felony." And you and I have already been through Section 2, 14th. One just can't pretend that doesn't exist.
    The argument that imprisonment can be included under servitude can be made, and the 15th clearly applies to both state and Federal.

  2. #62
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The argument that imprisonment can be included under servitude can be made, and the 15th clearly applies to both state and Federal.
    What?? The origin of the WORD means slave.

  3. #63
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Because calling it a "debt" is misleading if you can never repay it. It also carries with it the assumption that every crime is deserving of that debt. It's a zero-sum position that is no different than "why shouldn't all felons be imprisoned for life?"
    Is it not true that some debts can never be repaid in full?

    It would seem people believed part of the debt owed to society for conviction of a felony was to lose voting rights. There are some good reasons this particular debt is a good one. However, like most things, I would imagine there are examples where such a debt would seem to be too much.

  4. #64
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Two can play that game. Does anyone think that conservatives aren't coming to the defense of voter disenfranchisement because of their belief that it ultimately helps the Republican party?

    Or would you like to stick to the defensibility of the laws themselves?
    Yeah, I would think it helps the republicans enormously that illegals, felons and folks without ID can't vote. Also, seems to help them when fewer of the dead vote too. Your argument isn't becoming more defensible.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,954
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I know a guy who got charged with assault because he got in an altercation with a bouncer while drunk, at the age of 22.

    Never gets to vote again. His whole life.
    Governors can pardon people if it is something like this. But for the most part it is not.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #66
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The argument that imprisonment can be included under servitude can be made, and the 15th clearly applies to both state and Federal.
    Not by anyone with knowledge of the language or the Constitution.

  7. #67
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    What?? The origin of the WORD means slave.
    Cpwill attempted to make the argument that voting was not a right, when the 15th amendment clearly states that neither the Federal nor State can prohibit it. Period.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,954
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Philosophically, my view is that once prison is over, a citizen should regain full citizenry, right to own a gun, right to vote, and more often than not have their records sealed so they can attempt to gain normal employment. While a lot of people will disagree, I see nothing less as just.
    Perhaps after a time and depending on the crime. Some crimes do not deserve having their record sealed, other do. I am willing to apply common sense to this issue and not condemn everyone who committed a felony to never being able to vote again. But in my mind the felon first must prove he is able to adjust to society in a non-violent manner for a time period. What that time period would be, I have no idea. Perhaps it could just depend on the crime, the felony committed.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #69
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Perhaps after a time and depending on the crime. Some crimes do not deserve having their record sealed, other do. I am willing to apply common sense to this issue and not condemn everyone who committed a felony to never being able to vote again. But in my mind the felon first must prove he is able to adjust to society in a non-violent manner for a time period. What that time period would be, I have no idea. Perhaps it could just depend on the crime, the felony committed.
    That's fair, they should pass their time of parole or whatever after prison. I can agree to that.

  10. #70
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, I would think it helps the republicans enormously that illegals, felons and folks without ID can't vote. Also, seems to help them when fewer of the dead vote too. Your argument isn't becoming more defensible.
    So now you're equating ex-felons being allowed to vote with voter fraud?

    Your position is not just absurd but disturbingly confused.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •