Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 242

Thread: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

  1. #41
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You didn't answer the question.
    I requested more information before answering. Is that Ok?

    Is marijuana illegal in Wisconsin?

  2. #42
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,591

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Let me ask you, Maggie: do you believe that it's acceptable that someone who's served their sentence and repaid their debt to society should never be allowed to vote again?
    That same argument can be made for the 2A right as well. I understand your argument, but as Maggie said, that is currently left up to the states. Since the right was removed only after due process, it is constitutional.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #43
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I know a guy who got charged with assault because he got in an altercation with a bouncer while drunk, at the age of 22.

    Never gets to vote again. His whole life.
    That seems harsh, but then, perhaps it's not a good idea in that state to get drunk and fight with people.

  4. #44
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That same argument can be made for the 2A right as well. I understand your argument, but as Maggie said, that is currently left up to the states. Since the right was removed only after due process, it is constitutional.
    Interesting. So you would agree that it's acceptable to ban guns so long as it's the state making that decision?

  5. #45
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,453

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I would not support permanently denying gun ownership rights to any and all felons. Would you?
    A year ago, I would have. Since then, I've come to believe that if an ex-con is too dangerous to own a firearm, he is too dangerous to be walking the streets.

    I feel the same way about voting, I guess. I also believe that most ex-cons wouldn't bother to vote, anyway, making it irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #46
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,793

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Yet black religious groups were instrumental in passing CA's gay marriage ban.

    Doesnt seem to support you conclusion.
    Not actually true. While black people certainly leaned in favor of Prop 8, they were not "instrumental."
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #47
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,793

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    I requested more information before answering. Is that Ok?

    Is marijuana illegal in Wisconsin?
    The post you quoted answered that question, just not directly. If you can't figure out how it already answered the question, let me know and I'll explain it to you. If you could answer it, but asked this question anyway, you're not worth talking to.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #48
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Let me ask you, Maggie: do you believe that it's acceptable that someone who's served their sentence and repaid their debt to society should never be allowed to vote again?
    Excuse me for stepping in, but why is the loss of voting also not part of the debt owed to society? Seems to me, people determined the debt owed to society was not only the fine and incarceration part, but also the voting rights part. Why are you trying to exclude that from the "debt owed" portion?

  9. #49
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,793

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    A year ago, I would have. Since then, I've come to believe that if an ex-con is too dangerous to own a firearm, he is too dangerous to be walking the streets.

    I feel the same way about voting, I guess. I also believe that most ex-cons wouldn't bother to vote, anyway, making it irrelevant.
    But when you say "ex-con," are you picturing a murderer or a liberal hippie college student who was dumb enough to get caught twice with a quarter ounce of weed in his pocket? Because that second guy doesn't seem like he should have basic constitutional rights permanently revoked.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #50
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: 6 Million Americans Without a Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Yet black religious groups were instrumental in passing CA's gay marriage ban.

    Doesnt seem to support you conclusion.
    The most important statistical factors in that vote were church attendance, age and political leaning. Race was actually one of those lowest statistically important factors in the prop 8 vote.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •