Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 135

Thread: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is too

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    What an over extension of the argument. The Democrats are the ones that perpetuate poverty, rather than reforming the programs to enable people to rise out of poverty. Many minorities have similar base values as the Republican party but feel that that GOP doesn't care about them due to the GOP's marginalizing of their situation in life as well as the Democrat's painting the GOP as evil and hateful toward minorities. This has been debated here hundreds of times, and will not be agreed upon by either of us in a way that would put it to bed tonight.
    What a load of crap and sound bites. I want people to go go to work. Barring that I want people to get some basic humanity in the civilized way possible.
    W

  2. #52
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Ok, fine, so what does that have to do with me?
    Nothing as far as i am known. Just quoting someone who started the debate so i figured you probably shared the same view since you came into the same discussion.


  3. #53
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    While I totally, even vehemently, disagree with him in terms of commercial property owner's rights, to claim he wants to repeal the Civil Rights Act is a lie. But it is a Democrat race-baiting talking point and it is your role to repeat it.
    Then he is against "parts of the civil rights act".....


  4. #54
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I'm no lover of the Democratic party either, which has nothing to do with the thread topic really. I was just explaining my personal stance of racism and bigotry and why I am more accepting of one type vs another. Do with it what you will. Suggesting somehow that minding my manners is the best way out of inequality is very .... telling.

    You really do TRY to put yourself into the victim role! Do you enjoy doing so? I never even hinted at "minding (your) "manners." I don't have a clue how you could legitimately have read it that way. It is your interpretation that is "telling," but candidly I don't see this as a dispute thing between us. Like I said, I don't know you. It's just forum personaes.

    To instead explain what I meant, is that rather than using and seeking excuses, a person should just tactically power thru and beyond it. Once I became an adult my way of dealing with being treated unfairly was to power thru, over or past it. That is the exact opposite from minding my manners. A person should play the cards they have, rather than lamenting those they don't.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Nothing as far as i am known. Just quoting someone who started the debate so i figured you probably shared the same view since you came into the same discussion.
    Well, there is no such thing as a equal playing field when it comes to employment.

  6. #56
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well, there is no such thing as a equal playing field when it comes to employment.
    If you can discriminate based off skin color then of course it is. But then again we kinda do in a lot of states cuz in some states can discriminate in sexuality.


  7. #57
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,513
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Really? Do you or him believe a word you say?

    In the Michael Dunn trial, the media and prosecutor are calling him a racist because of letters he wrote. Yet in none of those did he claim that the white race is superior or black race inferior.

    So... then you MUST agree calling him a "racist" is wrong, that the media and prosecutor are lying - correct?

    Same with George Zimmerman. He never said blacks are inferior. So all that a LIE LIE LIE too right? From now on, neither of you should EVER use the words racism and racist UNLESS you can show the person specifically declared another race is inferior.
    What are you on about here? Zimmerman? Dunn? Listen. This is what you wrote, "For example many see President Obama as "the black president," - that his foremost definition to THEM is his race. Therefore, since that is what is MOST important to them they assume is most important to everyone else. Therefore, those who oppose his actions and policies must be because of Obama's race assuming everyone shares their racial-measuring of people." You're accusing non-existent people of racism based on hypothetical behaviour applied against a contrived definition. That's wrong in so many ways it's hard to sort it out.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  8. #58
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    You really do TRY to put yourself into the victim role! Do you enjoy doing so? I never even hinted at "minding (your) "manners." I don't have a clue how you could legitimately have read it that way. It is your interpretation that is "telling," but candidly I don't see this as a dispute thing between us. Like I said, I don't know you. It's just forum personaes.

    To instead explain what I meant, is that rather than using and seeking excuses, a person should just tactically power thru and beyond it. Once I became an adult my way of dealing with being treated unfairly was to power thru, over or past it. That is the exact opposite from minding my manners. A person should play the cards they have, rather than lamenting those they don't.
    I believe trying to put myself in other people's shoes when I've forming an opinion is a very good trait. I can tell you don't. Now I'm not very warm and fuzzy when I step into those shoes, but I do try to analyze fairly, often referring to the whole do unto others aspect by reviewing if I have any situation that would resemble "theirs" whoever "theirs" is, in this case AAs. It's not a matter of enjoyment, it's a matter of doing my best to logically solve the problem of having no natural empathy.

    I read it legitimately that way because that's essentially what your first sentence indicates. Sometimes anger is the right response for those that are under the thumb of others. To say one shouldn't get angry as your leading questions indicate, is the same as to say, "mind your manners." Again you know all this, you're just backpeddling because you got caught.

    "Power through it" is pretty vague. And I see that now you are presenting a different presentation than you did in the first sentence of your prior post. So for some folks powering through it may require a level of anger, or frustration, or any of the other responses I mentioned in the post prior to your focusing on the word "anger" and trying to claim that I enjoy being a "victim".
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  9. #59
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    05-29-17 @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    It's funny. My husband is black. I am white. When we lived in Baltimore we got more racist comments from blacks the whites. He would constantly get snide comments from black women when we went out to clubs. Some of his co-workers and friends had a real problem with him being with a white woman. Said he was a sell out. I had more then a few black women tell me I was stealing their men, that i should stick with my own kind. The white people really didn't give a crap one way or another. Now that we live in the country where it's 99% white we get a few nasty looks from some of the old timers who will never accept inter-racial marriages, but for the most part he and I are accepted as just an average married couple. Race isn't an issue. I was surprised by this. My husband wasn't.

  10. #60
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I believe trying to put myself in other people's shoes when I've forming an opinion is a very good trait. I can tell you don't. Now I'm not very warm and fuzzy when I step into those shoes, but I do try to analyze fairly, often referring to the whole do unto others aspect by reviewing if I have any situation that would resemble "theirs" whoever "theirs" is, in this case AAs. It's not a matter of enjoyment, it's a matter of doing my best to logically solve the problem of having no natural empathy.

    I read it legitimately that way because that's essentially what your first sentence indicates. Sometimes anger is the right response for those that are under the thumb of others. To say one shouldn't get angry as your leading questions indicate, is the same as to say, "mind your manners." Again you know all this, you're just backpeddling because you got caught.

    "Power through it" is pretty vague. And I see that now you are presenting a different presentation than you did in the first sentence of your prior post. So for some folks powering through it may require a level of anger, or frustration, or any of the other responses I mentioned in the post prior to your focusing on the word "anger" and trying to claim that I enjoy being a "victim".
    I'm not back pedaling, although do understand how you could see it that way. Emotions - anger, self pity, fear or whatever had no value in my childhood and were only very detrimental that could bring severe harm. There was no sense of such things as right or wrong, fairness or justice because they did not exist. Just reality and questions of power. The only outward display of emotions that made sense were tactical. Internally they were only dangerous distractions that could break a person. My responses were tactical for my self interests and to calculate what I needed to do.

    As an adult it was very rare that I would become angry and if so it would be displayed in sudden violence - which would be about someone hurting a child or woman, not me. If violence was about me, it was tactical, not emotional. This, of course, is generally not acceptable in civilized society's laws or conduct expectations. I see value in aggressiveness and in being tactical, but not in anger or fear or self pity. I doubt anyone who has ever known me would use the word "nice."

    But rather than go further down this path, I do understand why in the context of most people you would conclude that questioning the value of angry would equate to being submissive and nice. If it is to my best tactical advantage or to reach a goal I will be submissive. I do not make myself a victim nor ever accept that I am one. I can accept reality for what it is. I think it best to just leave it at that.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •