Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 135

Thread: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is too

  1. #31
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    It was "you" (the forum you) I was responding to. I don't know the real you.

    I'm in a very white community now, very much old KKK country and Confederate flags are not rare - and in some circles the number is growing. There is a lot of racism/bigotry around here, but most of it is passive and of no real effect. There also are a lot of old folks, so someone saying "I voted for that negro for president" wouldn't be that rare. Does it become racism if another person said "I voted against that negro?"

    Prior I was in basically an African-American ghetto is Chicago. It was far more racist and far more dangerously so in real terms. I can't think of any area around here where a black person could walk and be in danger for his/her race - even where the most Confederate flags are. Not so of a white person walking thru that black ghetto.

    Prior to there, I was on very remote Native American land. Those folks were the most racist and dangerously so of all. Thus the oddity of if I am prejudiced against any "race," it is my own on the wider scale (my ancestry a different tribe than that one on one that was notably not racist in societal functions.)

    What Thomas appears to be talking about is the expectations white liberals put on him because of his race. That he is supposed to be some kind of symbol and voice for his race. Like many presume a female politician would mostly focus on "women's issues."

    Democrats also tend to put issues into racial terms. So if speaking to a group of African-Americans they will talk about Republicans cutting food stamps and social programs, on the presumption that African-Americans are poor and need help.

    Example of what I'm talking about. A private school decided to have some kind of black heritage day, serving fried chicken, corn bread and watermelon. OH HOW RACIST! But I see "Italian" and "Chinese" and "Mexican" restaurants everywhere. Just by the sign I have a good idea of their menu. So they are all racists? Where is the outrage?!

    The media and press have become so fanatical in seeking "gotjas" that they seek any possible way to interpret anything as having any racial context and the shout racist! And the Democratic Party uses this.

    Take the George Zimmerman matter. He could have been guilty as hell, but racism? He had African-Americans in his family. He went to his prom with an African-American date. Had an African-American business partner. Has African-American friends and even who spoke in his defense as not a being a racist. But none of that matters. Florida was a key state and polls showed lackluster support among African-Americans - so it was used. So Democrats and the media left declared him a racist - and still do.

    This is not without consequence. An entire next generation of African-Americans have been indoctrinated to believe they are downtrodden, victims and to be angry about it. An entire welfare lifestyle has been established in support of it. The effects on the African-American community is devastating.

    Our oldest daughter - like many teens I suspect - turning some guy down who was African-American would be told "you won't go with me because I black!" trying to use that as an excuse for himself and an accusation against her.

    The hyper and fake sensitivity to race and racism is destructive and worsening. USUALLY if someone is accusing someone of being a racist I don't care to hear anymore of it - because usually its just nothing and I see the person making the accusation as the racist.
    And you'll not find me disagreeing, and I've got equally interesting stories, but... ultimately I have to realize that like me, a woman, legal equality has not meant equal opportunity or equal rights, and unfortunately that really gives their anger, sensitivity, hatred of us more legitimacy than ours against them. Just as my anger, frustration, etc. at the white male patriarchy is more valid than any man's anger against feminism. Or so is how I see it.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  2. #32
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I must be reading the wrong publications because I am not seeing these metaphors.
    Eh, they are scattered throughout the historical record. An easily googled incident (google makes it difficult to find anything other than the past few years) occurred just a short time ago with a Congressman from Minnesota who let one fly a little too willingly on Twitter.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    My comment.

    A racist is someone who looks at people and events thru racial eyes. So-called "liberals" who analyze every word, event and statement in racial context are the worst racists in the country at this time. Most racist messages on this forum are posted by those who identity their lean as liberal or progressive, although not exclusively.

    For example many self defined liberals and progressives foremost definite President Obama as "the black president," - that his foremost definition to THEM is his race. Therefore, since that is what is MOST important to them they assume is most important to everyone else. Therefore, those who oppose his actions and policies must be because of Obama's race - because they assume everyone shares their racial-measuring of people.
    I don't look at people looking at Obama as the "black president" as you claim is racist. I think that is an award against racism to be honest. Now that isn't to say racism doesn't exist, it does. It exists between many races IMO.

    If you think there aren't people that hate Obama because he is black you are living in a dream world. I don't think the overall majority are racist but there are some. And there are some racists that are for blacks and against whites as well.

    Personally in today's time, I think it is more acceptable for blacks to be against whites than it is for whites to be against blacks. That's not a good thing, only what I have seen.

  4. #34
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas told a group of college students on Tuesday that race and gender relations are worse now than when he was a kid.

    Speaking at Palm Beach Atlantic University in West Palm Beach, Florida, Thomas, the second black justice to serve on the court, lamented what he considers a society that is more 'conscious' of racial differences than it was when he grew up in segregated Georgia in the days before and during the civil rights era.

    The conservative justice who, among other things, has written opinions supporting limits on Affirmative Action, added that 'the worst things that have been done to me, the worst things that have been said about me, by northern liberal elites, not by the people of Savannah, Georgia.'


    Read more: America is too sensitive about race says Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas | Mail Online
    ]


    'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is too sensitive about race says Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas.

    My comment.

    A racist is someone who looks at people and events thru racial eyes. So-called "liberals" who analyze every word, event and statement in racial context are the worst racists in the country at this time. Most racist messages on this forum are posted by those who identity their lean as liberal or progressive, although not exclusively.

    For example many self defined liberals and progressives foremost definite President Obama as "the black president," - that his foremost definition to THEM is his race. Therefore, since that is what is MOST important to them they assume is most important to everyone else. Therefore, those who oppose his actions and policies must be because of Obama's race - because they assume everyone shares their racial-measuring of people.
    Name one. But first tell me what " progressives foremost definite President " means.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  5. #35
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Eh, they are scattered throughout the historical record. An easily googled incident (google makes it difficult to find anything other than the past few years) occurred just a short time ago with a Congressman from Minnesota who let one fly a little too willingly on Twitter.
    Alright, well, you said they are 'not uncommon', and I guess the evaluation as to whether that is true is inherently subjective. In my experience, I are 'not uncommon' only because they are simply rare.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  6. #36
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I'm not defending racism. I'm saying that what you claim is racism isn't racism. You are attempting to change the definition of the word "racist" in order to call your political opposites racists. That's painfully dishonest.
    Those guys work the same magic with the word, 'liberal'. If you say any lie loud enough, often enough, maybe you can make it the truth.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  7. #37
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    but democrats are more racist as a whole. They are the ones that cannot be colorblind, and insist on quota systems. The use of a quota system for example implies that blacks cannot compete on an equal playing field,
    Coming from the party that houses people that wanna get rid of the civil rights act thats pretty funny to say...


  8. #38
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    And you'll not find me disagreeing, and I've got equally interesting stories, but... ultimately I have to realize that like me, a woman, legal equality has not meant equal opportunity or equal rights, and unfortunately that really gives their anger, sensitivity, hatred of us more legitimacy than ours against them. Just as my anger, frustration, etc. at the white male patriarchy is more valid than any man's anger against feminism. Or so is how I see it.
    Do you think that "anger, frustration" benefits you? Or that any man's "anger against feminism" helps him?

    What I think Thomas is saying that I agree with is the hyper-sensitivity about racism has not been beneficial as much as it has been harmful.

    Too many people believe that if they can show they are in some victim role they should get something out of it, that others somehow owe them or that such excuses - even if accurate - are worth anything.

    There are other topics Republicans play the hyper sensitive game - and BOTH parties do it about women. I think doing so is not helpful, and it distracts from REAL instances of racism and bigotries.

  9. #39
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Coming from the party that houses people that wanna get rid of the civil rights act thats pretty funny to say...
    Which party is that?

  10. #40
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Northern liberal elites treated me worse than the segregated South': America is

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Those guys work the same magic with the word, 'liberal'. If you say any lie loud enough, often enough, maybe you can make it the truth.
    Really? Do you or him believe a word you say?

    In the Michael Dunn trial, the media and prosecutor are calling him a racist because of letters he wrote. Yet in none of those did he claim that the white race is superior or black race inferior.

    So... then you MUST agree calling him a "racist" is wrong, that the media and prosecutor are lying - correct?

    Same with George Zimmerman. He never said blacks are inferior. So all that a LIE LIE LIE too right? From now on, neither of you should EVER use the words racism and racist UNLESS you can show the person specifically declared another race is inferior.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •