Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 69

Thread: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

  1. #21
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Wrong... You cant give up your rights guaranteed to you in the bill of rights unless you defect to another country.
    Taking up arms against the United States, in a foreign army, is in effect defecting.

    How about you email Obama and complain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #22
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    And how will we know that?
    Not everything needs to be vetted through Montecresto, so it really doesn't matter how you'll know it. Your representatives will know it was or wasn't, and that's what matters. Not what you know or don't know.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  3. #23
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you saying we can't trust Obama?
    Yes! Why, does that shock you? Are you aware that the founders gave us a constitution and the people's Bill of Rights because men are not angels and can't be trusted and thus we have the need for checks and balances, oversight and oversight oversight. Or did you think that only republican governments can't be trusted?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #24
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Not everything needs to be vetted through Montecresto, so it really doesn't matter how you'll know it. Your representatives will know it was or wasn't, and that's what matters. Not what you know or don't know.
    That's where your wrong, and the very reason we have men like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, Jim Sensenbrenner amongst many working to repair programs that have failed us.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #25
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That's where your wrong
    err...no, I'm not? The public doesn't need to know about a great many things. That's your representatives' jobs. Write them a letter or something. Stop trying to get everything released to the general public, it's stupid and dangerous.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  6. #26
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    I've never understood this objection to drone strikes on Americans who are up in arms against the United States.
    Americans abroad are supposed to be under our protection, and if they are suspected of committing crimes against the American people in some way then we are supposed to be bringing them back here for trial and due process. That's what extradition and extraterritorial processes are for.

    Our country is abandoning justice, one strike at a time. They can kill anyone now and we are just supposed to take their word for it that the person was guilty. If they can do it to this person, they can do it to any one of us.

  7. #27
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Americans abroad are supposed to be under our protection, and if they are suspected of committing crimes against the American people in some way then we are supposed to be bringing them back here for trial and due process. That's what extradition and extraterritorial processes are for.
    And what happens when you can't do that? Nothing? Just....do nothing?

    Our country is abandoning justice, one strike at a time. They can kill anyone now and we are just supposed to take their word for it that the person was guilty. If they can do it to this person, they can do it to any one of us.
    Anyone can do anything to you, unless you can physically stop them, so I don't understand your point. What is "justice" in your opinion? People throw around these terms and just assume that everyone must agree with their definition of it. Silly.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  8. #28
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    And what happens when you can't do that? Nothing? Just....do nothing?
    There was a time when if we wouldn't extract an American dissident to be tried at home, we would do just that: nothing. Our principles of justice mattered more than just blackbagging people. The fact that it's already a combat zone is why these principles are being disregarded, because we can get away with it. If it were a non-combat zone we would have to use the treaty system to extract suspects to be tried at home.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    What is "justice" in your opinion? People throw around these terms and just assume that everyone must agree with their definition of it. Silly.
    Justice (for American citizens) is due process as defined by the Constitution, and it's not an opinion, it's a legal and empirical fact.

    When the People support or consent to these drone strikes, they are essentially saying that they trust the secret evidence our government has collected but is not disclosing, and that they trust the government to carry out a sentence without implementing any kind of trial (even in absentia).

    I don't trust government to do this, mostly because it's the nature of government to expand its powers. It's our job as the People to temper statism, and to ensure the rights, freedoms, and liberties of all citizens, even ones we suspect of horrible wrong doing. Justice is supposed to be blind.

  9. #29
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    There was a time when if we wouldn't extract an American dissident to be tried at home, we would do just that: nothing.
    Okay, well now we can do something.

    Our principles of justice mattered more than just blackbagging people.
    Maybe. Maybe we just couldn't do it. So either our ability got better or we stopped being pussies about it. Either way, I like it.

    Justice (for American citizens) is due process as defined by the Constitution, and it's not an opinion, it's a legal and empirical fact.
    No, it's not a fact. You just pretended your definition of justice meant that. And it's funny.

    When the People support or consent to these drone strikes, they are essentially saying that they trust the secret evidence our government has collected but is not disclosing, and that they trust the government to carry out a sentence without implementing any kind of trial (even in absentia).
    Right. That's what your representatives are for. Information isn't just going to be released to the entirety of the world, nor should it.

    I don't trust government to do this, mostly because it's the nature of government to expand its powers. It's our job as the People to temper statism, and to ensure the rights, freedoms, and liberties of all citizens, even ones we suspect of horrible wrong doing. Justice is supposed to be blind.[/QUOTE]
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #30
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US looks to target American citizen with drone strike

    [QUOTE=OldWorldOrder;1062917890]err...no, I'm not? The public doesn't need to know about a great many things. That's your representatives' jobs. Write them a letter or something. Stop trying to get everything released to the general public, it's stupid and dangerous.[/

    Nobodies asking for that, stop exaggerating. It's real accountability, which seems hard to come by in our government. We hear promises, as we did for example about the O administration being the most transparent, lmao.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •