Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 180

Thread: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

  1. #61
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Another great reason why the government shouldn't have a say in whom you want to call your spouse. It has nothing to do with them.

    Which means if everyone had a list of people they wanted to get special treatment, call them benefactors, then the government wouldn't have to have special definitions for this that or the other. They don't need to be involved in an individual's choosing, regardless the reason or nature.
    But the government needs to know who a person wants to have as that specific legal kin. And there has to be a limit for the legal recognition for pure logistics purposes.

    And people want the government to automatically recognize certain people as legal kin. The vast majority does anyways because the vast majority recognize that we, as humans, at least during this stage of our development/evolution, see blood relations and those whom we see as "family" as being the most deserving of recognition by the government. And the easiest way to gain that recognition for the most people is to simply make it that way through generally speaking legal records such as birth certificates, adoption papers, birth records (where birth certificates aren't available), marriage records, and, now DNA tests showing links. That is how we establish family ties and the vast majority is okay with this.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #62
    Advisor Chocolate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    America!
    Last Seen
    10-15-15 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    IMO, I don't even believe our government(s) should be involved in marriage in the first place....

    A marriage is nothing more than a civil contract anyways...

    But since marriage is not a civil rights issue, but rather a 10th amendment issue - it is up to the states to allow gays to marry.

    I mean if homosexuals want the right to marry then amend the ****ing Constitution and define marriage..... There is no definition of marriage in the Constitution.

    So I don't know how gays civil rights are being violated when there is nothing that outlines gays or straights in the Constitution or Bill of Rights, hence there is no "civil right" to be violated.
    I am gay, and I sort of agree with you but I think it is a federal thing, and the government is involved because of the federal tax thing soooo yes it is kind of a civil rights thing.... I mean if we could just marry and get the little tax change thingy I think then our civil rights were not being violated

    .-. I don't know it's so tricky, american gays tend to annoy me, where there disgusting parades and perverse attitude sometimes, that I can see why you're just tired of it.... if that is the case :/

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,421

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Not pictured above: an example of the "severe impacts" of female inequality. You made the claim, now substantiate it.
    Actually I did not use the inequality of females as an example but the opposite. Also I gave you a pointer of an impact from legal, social etc equalization of women in the demographic development. I know it is/was a rather complex development from the first steps towards equality to the our present problem. But it is in general terms relatively simple.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Think about it.
    Oh I read it and it's bull**** that makes absolutely ZERO sense and hardly touches on the subject at hand.

    And honestly, if my friend brought a bunch of unnecessary crap while we went hiking I would NOT carry his bag because that extra crap would be his responsibility - furthermore I have never been in that situation because when I go hiking or camping we always carry our own **** because we BOTH have 50 pound bags...... What the hell you thought? you just go hiking and everyone else carries your ****?

    I understand your ignorant analogy but it makes zero sense.

    You think about that!

  5. #65
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    IMO, I don't even believe our government(s) should be involved in marriage in the first place....

    A marriage is nothing more than a civil contract anyways...

    But since marriage is not a civil rights issue, but rather a 10th amendment issue - it is up to the states to allow gays to marry.

    I mean if homosexuals want the right to marry then amend the ****ing Constitution and define marriage..... There is no definition of marriage in the Constitution.

    So I don't know how gays civil rights are being violated when there is nothing that outlines gays or straights in the Constitution or Bill of Rights, hence there is no "civil right" to be violated.
    Everyone's civil rights are being violated because sex/gender is being used as a criteria to whether or not people can form a legal contract establishing kinship where sex/gender has no actual bearing on the ability of the legal terms of that contract to be fulfilled. Just as was true when it was race being used as the criteria to prevent people from entering into that contract.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #66
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    So you don't have an answer or any examples or citations - just a half-assed analogy that makes no sense.
    The legal area known as "civil rights" has traditionally revolved around the basic right to be free from unequal treatment based on certain protected characteristics (race, gender, disability, etc.) - See more at: "Civil Rights" vs. "Civil Liberties" - FindLaw


    https://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics...under-New-Law/

    ....President Barack Obama has signed legislation that elevates homosexuals to the class of citizens that enjoy special protections under the law...."
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  7. #67
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 12:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,888

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But the government needs to know who a person wants to have as that specific legal kin. And there has to be a limit for the legal recognition for pure logistics purposes.

    And people want the government to automatically recognize certain people as legal kin. The vast majority does anyways because the vast majority recognize that we, as humans, at least during this stage of our development/evolution, see blood relations and those whom we see as "family" as being the most deserving of recognition by the government. And the easiest way to gain that recognition for the most people is to simply make it that way through generally speaking legal records such as birth certificates, adoption papers, birth records (where birth certificates aren't available), marriage records, and, now DNA tests showing links. That is how we establish family ties and the vast majority is okay with this.
    People also want to limit who "family" is, even when they are blood related, under certain circumstances. Being able to designate individuals as benefactors, regardless of blood relation, physical/emotional relation, or any relation at all, frees a person into defining what system works best for them. There would be a default at birth, obviously, but would be customization available for those that wish it(e.g. marriage, friendship, black-sheep )

    With that in place, the government( at all levels ) can have simple recognition of an individuals wishes, and grant whatever different rules/regulations reflecting this designation. This puts control back in the individual's hands, where I feel it belonged in the first place.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    I am gay, and I sort of agree with you but I think it is a federal thing, and the government is involved because of the federal tax thing soooo yes it is kind of a civil rights thing.... I mean if we could just marry and get the little tax change thingy I think then our civil rights were not being violated

    .-. I don't know it's so tricky, american gays tend to annoy me, where there disgusting parades and perverse attitude sometimes, that I can see why you're just tired of it.... if that is the case :/
    I cant believe I agree with a gay communist - that is a first.

    The tax thing isn't a problem at all because you can sign civil contracts (and even business contracts) that makes paying taxes in "joint" rather easy.

    It just so happens in many states marriage just makes that process de facto the second you say "I do".

    IMO, what I believe is that gays (not saying you) actually believe that "government recognition of marriage" is some sort of a statement of acceptance - as if the government were to endorse gay marriage that means all 300,000,000 would be forced to accept gay marriage - as if we're all drones who get our morals and ethics via government or something.

  9. #69
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Actually I did not use the inequality of females as an example but the opposite. Also I gave you a pointer of an impact from legal, social etc equalization of women in the demographic development. I know it is/was a rather complex development from the first steps towards equality to the our present problem. But it is in general terms relatively simple.
    You're spending so much time with your thesaurus that you're forgetting what you wrote four posts ago. Here, I'll help you.

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    You think so? Some of the more severe impacts of female equality are just now starting to affect us.
    So again, please enlighten us. What are some of these impacts? Ditch the thesaurus -- it's not adding content to your argument.

  10. #70
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    You mean like tax bracket definition differences?
    please proceed Governor...
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •