Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 180

Thread: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Actually Loving versus Virginia established that marriage is a fundamental right when it abolished interracial marriage bans in over a dozen states. It sounds to me like you reject all court precedent and seek a perception of the Constitution where every single right has to be enumerated by an amendment to the Constitution.
    That's because it violated the 14th amendment.....

    I have news for you blacks/ethnic minorities are not the same a gays. Also, if it even matters - blacks can change the color of their skin but gays can choose not to be gay - regardless - sex is a choice. Gays don't have to have sex or get married.

    But I digress....

    Like I said in a previous post - I don't believe government should be involved in marriage period!

  2. #92
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Whether this has good, ill, or no effect, it's not the Attorney General's call to make, nor is it the POTUS who makes this call. Congress makes this call, or doesn't.

    Actually SCOTUS made the call when they found Section 3 of DOMA unconstitutional last June. That simply returned the Federal government back to the previous status, recognizing legal Civil Marriages entered into under State law.



    >>>>

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's promoting marriage, which is a stabilizing factor and in the state's interest.



    Because it's a big deal to those opposing it. If it's not a big deal, then just let them have their marriage.
    First - no it's not a "stabilizing factor" in society...... I know plenty of couples who have families and they're not married and don't intend to.....

    Second, I don't give a **** what gays do - if they want to have a civil union then fine - but I don't want them shoving their gay **** down my throat like the pro-gay marriage supporters continually do and even worse many gays themselves.

  4. #94
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick
    IMO, I don't hate gays either. I just wish they stop shoving their sexuality down peoples throats..... As far as I'm concerned (given my religion as a Catholic) gays making out in public and such is the equivalant of Islamophobes throwing bacon at Muslims just minding their own business. It's very offensive to some, but at the same time I have been in situations where I saw that happening and you know what I did? I got up and left.... Unlike a progressive who would have gone to the manager if they saw or heard something they disagree with....

    You see that is real tolerance.
    Um...how many gay people have come to your house and had sex in front of you? Other than doing that I am not sure how gays are forcing their sexuality on you. It sounds like you are trying to paint yourself as some kind of victim just because gays are not hiding that they exist.

  5. #95
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    First - no it's not a "stabilizing factor" in society...... I know plenty of couples who have families and they're not married and don't intend to.....

    Second, I don't give a **** what gays do - if they want to have a civil union then fine - but I don't want them shoving their gay **** down my throat like the pro-gay marriage supporters continually do and even worse many gays themselves.
    No-one's shoving anything down your throat, relax. Are you angry because of the gay people already married? If so, it's completely nuts to let people who are doing things you can't even tangibly experience right now get to you this badly.

    And yes, marriage does contribute to more stable households.

  6. #96
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That's because it violated the 14th amendment.....

    I have news for you blacks/ethnic minorities are not the same a gays. Also, if it even matters - blacks can change the color of their skin but gays can choose not to be gay - regardless - sex is a choice. Gays don't have to have sex or get married.

    But I digress....

    Like I said in a previous post - I don't believe government should be involved in marriage period!
    You can choose to marry someone of your own race rather than someone of a different race. But let us assume that people can choose to be gay. Why should same sex couples be denied equal protection under the law for their unions?

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    That's not true. Just a couple of quick examples:

    1. There is no "Civil Contract" that allows for a couple to file a single tax return claiming one income for both and then using two deductions.

    2. There is no "Civil Contract" that allows for the tax free transfer of property the same that currently exists between spouses.

    3. There are no "Civil Contracts" that allow for the seamless inheritance of property tax free on the death of a spouse. True, there are Wills, but a will does not make it tax free.

    4. There is no "Civil Contract" that allows for a spouse to sell their home and claim the $500,000 (Married) exemption vice the $250,000 (Single) exemption upon the death of the other spouse. This tax exemption is ONLY available to the widow(er) of a Civilly Married couple.




    >>>>
    1. yes you can How to File Taxes When Your Spouse is Your Business Partner | Fox Small Business Center

    2. yes there is - you can transfer anything you want to anyone you want just as long as it's free/gift. You don't even need a contract for that.

    3. A will? how about try power of attorney?? (besides that **** is moot anyways with Obamas "death tax" in place now where they will rape everyones inheritance.

    4. You're right there (sort of) see #1

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You can choose to marry someone of your own race rather than someone of a different race. But let us assume that people can choose to be gay. Why should same sex couples be denied equal protection under the law for their unions?
    In many states they're NOT.

    Like I said this is a Tenth Amendment issue here because there is no amendment that even touches on gay marriage.

  9. #99
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    You realize that link is about SPOUSES right, you know legally married people.

    Of course most Civilly Married people do not own their own business.

    If you and your spouse own a business together, you are supposed to file a partnership tax return with the IRS. There is no tax due at the partnership level, the profit or loss flows out on a Schedule K-1 to your individual income tax return where it is combined with other sources of taxable income and deductions then ultimately taxed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    2. yes there is - you can transfer anything you want to anyone you want just as long as it's free/gift. You don't even need a contract for that.
    No you can't. There is a limit on the value of gifts and then taxes due. Something that doesn't occur with a spouse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    3. A will? how about try power of attorney?? (besides that **** is moot anyways with Obamas "death tax" in place now where they will rape everyones inheritance.
    A power of attorney does nothing toward exemption from estate taxes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    4. You're right there (sort of) see #1
    #1 referred to businesses run by husband and wives, you know Civilly Married couples.



    >>>>

  10. #100
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: More Federal Privileges to Extend to Same-Sex Couples

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That's because it violated the 14th amendment.....

    I have news for you blacks/ethnic minorities are not the same a gays. Also, if it even matters - blacks can change the color of their skin but gays can choose not to be gay - regardless - sex is a choice. Gays don't have to have sex or get married.

    But I digress....

    Like I said in a previous post - I don't believe government should be involved in marriage period!
    how does one choose not to have thier sexual orientation lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •