Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real - And

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,243

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    You do realize no one was denied their right to free speech, right?

    This was about the privelege to operate tax free.

    Tax free status is not a right. Check the Constitution
    But equal treatment under the law is a right...check the Constitution.
    And that's not even considering harassment by the Federales.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    But equal treatment under the law is a right...check the Constitution.
    And that's not even considering harassment by the Federales.
    You'll have to show me where that's.covered.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,243

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    You'll have to show me where that's.covered.
    I'll assume your serious and not just stalling for time ... The Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment and a whole s'load of related Court rulings.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I'll assume your serious and not just stalling for time ... The Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment and a whole s'load of related Court rulings.
    And yet the fine for driving alone in the carpool lane is a weeks pay at minimum wage and a few minutes (seconds?) pay for a hedge fund manager.

    Hardly seems like an "equal" punishment.

    Further, the LAW says 501(c)(4)s are "exclusively" social benefit. The IRS changed it to "primarily".

    So if the LAW is followed, NO 501(c)(4) can engage in political intervention activities.
    Last edited by What if...?; 02-08-14 at 10:51 AM.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,243

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    And yet the fine for driving alone in the carpool lane is a weeks pay at minimum wage and a few minutes (seconds?) pay for a hedge fund manager.

    Hardly seems like an "equal" punishment.
    That's probably the worst example you could have come up with.

    Even with that irrelevant example, yes, the punishment is the same.

    You'd be on firmer ground talking about people with influence getting away with something you or me couldn't.

    But using that line to excuse selective harassment to suppress political expression would fail judicial review.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    That's probably the worst example you could have come up with.

    Even with that irrelevant example, yes, the punishment is the same.

    You'd be on firmer ground talking about people with influence getting away with something you or me couldn't.

    But using that line to excuse selective harassment to suppress political expression would fail judicial review.
    And yet the groups in question only made up a third of those selected for further scrutiny. And the issue could have been avoided by simply filing for a 527.

    So it wasn't JUST conservative groups, or even a majority, which clearly demonstrates they weren't "singled out".

    What it was, patently, was an attempt to provide anonymity to donors, the only difference between a 501(c)(4) and a 527.

    Why are y'all so averse to knowing who your politicians are beholden to? Why do donors want to donate millions anonymously? Why aren't you concerned about foreign entities influencing our political process, which is facilitated by anonymity?

    If money is speech, they should stand behind what they're saying, not hide behind a wall of anonymity. What have they got to hide?

    The Treasury report makes it clear that abuse of 501(c)(4) status is a thing of the past. They want ALL groups scrutinized, and hard rules established as to what constitutes "primary activities" and flagging groups approved for further scrutiny. Brass tacks, this means groups could lose their status after the fact if shown to be primarily engaged in political intervention activities. The party's over.

    This whole thing is nothing but a bureaucratic snafu. Ginned up to a "scandal".

    Throwing smoke bombs and yelling "Fire!".
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,243

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    And yet the groups in question only made up a third of those selected for further scrutiny. And the issue could have been avoided by simply filing for a 527.

    So it wasn't JUST conservative groups, or
    even a majority, which clearly demonstrates they weren't "singled out".
    What it was, patently, was an attempt to provide anonymity to donors, the only difference between a 501(c)(4) and a 527.

    Why are y'all so averse to knowing who your politicians are beholden to?
    Why do donors want to donate millions anonymously? Why aren't you concerned about foreign entities influencing our political process, which is facilitated by anonymity?

    If money is speech, they should stand behind what they're saying, not hide behind a wall of anonymity. What have they got to hide?

    The Treasury report makes it clear that abuse of 501(c)(4) status is a thing of the past. They want ALL groups scrutinized, and hard rules established as to what constitutes "primary activities" and flagging groups approved for further scrutiny. Brass tacks, this means groups could lose their status after the fact if shown to be primarily engaged in political intervention activities. The party's over.

    This whole thing is nothing but a bureaucratic snafu. Ginned up to a "scandal".

    Throwing smoke bombs and yelling "Fire!".
    (1) Incorrect ... you're getting bad information.
    (2) Unions

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    (1) Incorrect ... you're getting bad information.
    (2) Unions
    The treasury report says a third.

    You'll have to explain the second one.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #59
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    it appears the witnesses were right
    after its evaluation, the GAO found no instances of corruption
    here, read for yourself:
    U.S. GAO - IRS Examination Selection: Internal Controls for Exempt Organization Selection Should Be Strengthened
    and the 10 GAO recommendations to eliminate any appearance of favoritism:
    U.S. GAO - IRS Examination Selection: Internal Controls for Exempt Organization Selection Should Be Strengthened

    the complete report:
    http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/671362.pdf


    there was no inappropriate handling of 501c4 organizations - including those that are right wing


    look forward to issa's comments about this finding
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #60
    Hates Kittens
    NonoBadDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mountains
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    15,193
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Not a 'Smidgen' of Corruption? Witnesses Say the IRS Targeting Scandal Is Real -

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Because at the time there was a list of conservative organizations that were supposedly "targeted". For some reason the fact that it wasn't targeting but was applied to groups on the left didn't come out until months later.

    I'm not justifying anything. I'm asking for proof. Somehow higher ups in the administration ordered career bureaucrats (including and IRS commissioner that was appointed by Bush) and they did it...of course without any sort of email chain or trail or evidence. Yeah...ok...maybe in a make believe world where Democratic Presidents are ominous boogeymen but in the real world that's not a credible story.
    Just thought I would shoot you a link. Lerner at least was involved. It doesn't lead to Obama at this point. All the emails are linked from this article.

    New IRS Documents Used Donor Lists to Target Audits
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    We should always be aware and on alert of government over-reach and whittling away of rights....not just when our political party isn't in the Oval Office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'm sorry that you feel the need to defame the Americans who voted for Hillary Clinton, and that democratic institutions mean so little to you.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •