Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 398

Thread: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu[W:250]

  1. #361
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,890

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Why not twelve of them?
    Yes.....12 American History Months.

  2. #362
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    all that from thinking that watermelon and fried chicken as a celebration of black history was a bad idea?
    This whole thing demonstrates the real problem within it all. We spend so much time focusing on meaningless drivel, instead of the addressing the real hard stuff facing the black community today. These kinds of issues, which occur all the time, receive huge amounts of attention and "debate", while nobody really wants to talk about what's real. That's because what's real requires self-reflection and outside criticism, and that might chase away voters from that 95% bloc.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Yeah, that's it...

    If they wanted a "black" cuisine day, there are plenty of options (as pointed out by apdst). A little more thought than a stereotype would actually be what you are talking about. Perpetuating a stereotype by saying "Well I can't think of anything black people like other than fried chicken" is holding them back also, and you're standing up for that. You're here defending that someone did some really lazy ass thinking and relied on a stereotype, and blaming it on Democrats.
    This whole thread is about nothing but a food stereotype. It's nothing. Mindless drivel to distract the black community from real issues. Liberals don't want anything to do with addressing the real issues. That's messy, and it might cause real internal debate. There's no internal debate in a 95% voting bloc.

  4. #364
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu[W:250]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Nobody is older than 50? Wow, I guess life expectancy is lower in the South.
    Slavery ended 50 years ago? Wow! I've been reading all the wrong history books!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #365
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu[W:250]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slavery ended 50 years ago? Wow! I've been reading all the wrong history books!
    Racism died with slavery?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #366
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    This whole thread is about nothing but a food stereotype. It's nothing. Mindless drivel to distract the black community from real issues. Liberals don't want anything to do with addressing the real issues. That's messy, and it might cause real internal debate. There's no internal debate in a 95% voting bloc.
    So we should let the stereotype go because you're having a hissy fit that they don't vote Republican.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #367
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu[W:250]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Racism died with slavery?
    I was talking about slavery and you know it.

    You people will never let racism die, so it'll go on forever. However, we're talking about law and policy, not the ignorance of individual citizens. As far as a person's own racist ideas go, the best way to deal with it is to ignore it and move on. You won't force them to change their mind. The same applies to people who think serving fried chicken is racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #368
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu[W:250]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I was talking about slavery and you know it.

    You people will never let racism die, so it'll go on forever. However, we're talking about law and policy, not the ignorance of individual citizens. As far as a person's own racist ideas go, the best way to deal with it is to ignore it and move on. You won't force them to change their mind. The same applies to people who think serving fried chicken is racist.
    "You people?" I guess it's OK if you say it to a libbo.

    I wasn't talking about slavery, never did. So you equating it with slavery is dishonest, and you know it.

    It doesn't bother you in the least that someone's bright idea of what black people like to eat was "fried chicken and watermelon." If they simply treated black contributions to cuisine as equal - exactly as you were pointing out - they would have come up with something much better. It's intellectually lazy at the very least, and we shouldn't allow intellectual laziness in the schools. I didn't post this because "OMG it's racist," I posted it because the utter stupidity struck me. You and the other con posters in this thread want to turn it into "slavery" or "well, they vote for Democrats," or "but, Obama!" Bull****. This was about the fact that some guy automatically thought of fried chicken and watermelon, and nobody else recognized the potential ****storm. Who the hell is running that place, because they are freaking idiots.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #369
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So we should let the stereotype go because you're having a hissy fit that they don't vote Republican.
    The stereotype that black folks like fried chicken? Well, it's true. What's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #370
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Calif. school apologizes for black history lunch menu[W:250]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    "You people?" I guess it's OK if you say it to a libbo.
    It's ok, if I say it to anybody...lol!! The faux outrage over, "you people", is just another example of manufactured racism.

    I wasn't talking about slavery, never did. So you equating it with slavery is dishonest, and you know it.
    I was...get a grip. Stop trying to be some kind of, "great white hope", for the black community.

    It doesn't bother you in the least that someone's bright idea of what black people like to eat was "fried chicken and watermelon."
    I recognize how goofy the idea is that fried chicken and watermelon are representative of black cuisine and have pointed out that much better examples of black cuisine could have been chosen. Mainly because I don't think fried chicken was necessarily invented by black folks. Black cuisine not to be mistaken with African cuisine of course.

    I sure as hell didn't compare fried chicken to concentration camp food, like someone did.


    If they simply treated black contributions to cuisine as equal - exactly as you were pointing out - they would have come up with something much better. It's intellectually lazy at the very least, and we shouldn't allow intellectual laziness in the schools. I didn't post this because "OMG it's racist," I posted it because the utter stupidity struck me. You and the other con posters in this thread want to turn it into "slavery" or "well, they vote for Democrats," or "but, Obama!" Bull****. This was about the fact that some guy automatically thought of fried chicken and watermelon, and nobody else recognized the potential ****storm. Who the hell is running that place, because they are freaking idiots.
    That's exactly what you did. You were appalled at the idea of a Black History Month meal being served, to begin with. You're trying desperately to find racism where it doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •