Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 98

Thread: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Liberals are really pushing raising the minimum wage for 2014. Thirty states have put forward bills to increase it, and Democrats have made this issue part of their political strategy for this year. Yet, a new study from the Employment Policies Institute (EPI) has exposed the proponents of raising the minimum wage of their "hypocrisy." It seems that 96% of Democrats who support such measures don't pay their interns.

    The abstract of the EPI study noted that "the same Members of Congress who are supporting a 40% wage hike on private sector employers are simultaneously failing to provide any wages to their own employee interns."

    Last year, I wrote for Newsbusters about how the media rail about the gender wage gap, but seem to ignore that the Obama White House paid their female staffers 88.3% of what their male ones earn.

    96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Don

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Well I guess dems not paying interns is a step up from using them for human humidors.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    I don't really see how this is hypocritical, its comparing apples and oranges.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    You know unpaid interns are typically college students or other young professionals seeking experience in a certain field of work, they already have a means of living which is why they can afford to work unpaid. They also aren't typically the sort of folks who will end up working minimum wage jobs and certainly not relying on a minimum wage job to survive. Comparing a young college kid going to school to a mature adult working minimum wage as their only source of income are two very different things.

  5. #5
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    You cited a conservative news website, which cited a website that is against raising the minimum wage, which linked to a table on its own website and not the "study's" table. Where's the list of Republicans and their internship payments? Where's the official rules of internship and specific guidelines as to when they are supposed to be paid?

    I'm probably going to be criticized for my skepticism yet again. "Blah blah blah of course a liberal would say that!"

  6. #6
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,410

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Liberals are really pushing raising the minimum wage for 2014. Thirty states have put forward bills to increase it, and Democrats have made this issue part of their political strategy for this year. Yet, a new study from the Employment Policies Institute (EPI) has exposed the proponents of raising the minimum wage of their "hypocrisy." It seems that 96% of Democrats who support such measures don't pay their interns.

    The abstract of the EPI study noted that "the same Members of Congress who are supporting a 40% wage hike on private sector employers are simultaneously failing to provide any wages to their own employee interns."

    Last year, I wrote for Newsbusters about how the media rail about the gender wage gap, but seem to ignore that the Obama White House paid their female staffers 88.3% of what their male ones earn.

    96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Don
    And 96% of Republicans who disapprove of the minimum wage hike have reportedly burnt toast in the last 12 months. Whether or not it is the right thing to do has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not politicians are douchebags.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    And 96% of Republicans who disapprove of the minimum wage hike have reportedly burnt toast in the last 12 months. Whether or not it is the right thing to do has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not politicians are douchebags.
    it is not the right thing to do. Minimum wage or jobs for people with no skill or in other words entry level. Just because someone doesn't have enough sense to better themselves should not fall to the rest of us to make up the difference. That is what is wrong with NY, CA, and NJ. The cost of living in those states is ridiculous because of all the various levels of handouts.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    You know unpaid interns are typically college students or other young professionals seeking experience in a certain field of work, they already have a means of living which is why they can afford to work unpaid. They also aren't typically the sort of folks who will end up working minimum wage jobs and certainly not relying on a minimum wage job to survive. Comparing a young college kid going to school to a mature adult working minimum wage as their only source of income are two very different things.
    Not when that adult "chooses" to work that entry level job instead of improving themselves. We should not be baling out people that put out little or no effort to improves themselves.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JoCo Kansas
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    373

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    You cited a conservative news website, which cited a website that is against raising the minimum wage, which linked to a table on its own website and not the "study's" table. Where's the list of Republicans and their internship payments? Where's the official rules of internship and specific guidelines as to when they are supposed to be paid?

    I'm probably going to be criticized for my skepticism yet again. "Blah blah blah of course a liberal would say that!"
    CNS is totally unbiased. /sarcasm

  10. #10
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Well I guess dems not paying interns is a step up from using them for human humidors.
    OK, I'll bite. Human humidors? Care to share?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •