Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 98

Thread: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    So what were the two very different things you were comparing? Obviously you knew what they were when you said it.



    Because when you say that two things are very different you need to be able to express what those two things actually are rather than hide behind a colloquialism. I made the mistake of assuming you knew the two things you were comparing, apparently you don't?
    Well obviously I was talking about unpaid interns and minimum wage workers and the kind of folks who typically occupy each of those types of work. I mean I thought it was obvious I was talking about the stuff mentioned in the OP and the title of the thread, but I guess it wasn't clear.

    So what do you think Dems want to make everyone when you said apples?

  2. #52
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    That is what is wrong with NY, CA, and NJ. The cost of living in those states is ridiculous because of all the various levels of handouts.
    That's not true.

    NJ doesn't offer any "handouts" that TX, KY, and AL don't also offer.

    The cost of living is high in NJ because we're among those states with the highest average income.

    If people can afford to pay more for stuff (and many Jerseymen can) businesses will charge more for stuff.

    That works out okay if you're at or above the average state income of about $70,000 a year.

    But if you're on the low end, making closer to the national average of $49,000, or in the lowest two quintiles (averaging $28,000 or $11,000 respectively), getting by in NJ can be a real bear.

    The same is true for NY, CA, and a number of other Northeastern states.
    ďNow it is not good for the Christianís health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: ďA Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.Ē

  3. #53
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,655

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Well obviously I was talking about unpaid interns and minimum wage workers and the kind of folks who typically occupy each of those types of work. I mean I thought it was obvious I was talking about the stuff mentioned in the OP and the title of the thread, but I guess it wasn't clear.
    Yes, it was obvious which is why it was so odd to find you so confused by my response. Given that the Democrats have been beating the "living wage!" drum for a few months now and bemoaning minimum wage as insufficient for workers I figured it would be quite obvious, when given the choice of minimum wage workers and people who work for no wages at all, which group I was talking about. Did you think I meant that the Dems wanted people to work for no money?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Yes, it was obvious which is why it was so odd to find you so confused by my response. Given that the Democrats have been beating the "living wage!" drum for a few months now and bemoaning minimum wage as insufficient for workers I figured it would be quite obvious, when given the choice of minimum wage workers and people who work for no wages at all, which group I was talking about. Did you think I meant that the Dems wanted people to work for no money?
    Christ I asked because I didn't want to assume nor make your argument for you.

  5. #55
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,655

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Christ I asked because I didn't want to assume nor make your argument for you.
    You rightly trusted your "apples and oranges" statement could be noodled by the rest of us. My response gave you a 50/50 shot if you were guessing, and a 100% chance if you used your brain.

    The reason the Democrats are hypocrites, and why this isn't an apples to oranges comparison, is that the "Living Wage" screed itself makes no differentiation between the middle class kid saving money for an Xbone and a middle aged mom earning money to buy food. The former is FAR more likely to be getting paid an actual minimum wage than the latter is.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #56
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,562

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I don't really see how this is hypocritical, its comparing apples and oranges.
    It is also apples and oranges when discussing those, with different needs, that now earn the minimum wage (MW); for those that need mainly beer, date and book money (like the OP interns) they are fine with the current MW (or even less), but those that must support a spouse and two kids need more income than the MW provides.

    This is still true, possibly worse, after raising the MW to $10.10/hour because, while the student's expenses are still met (or exceeded), the family provider then sees many of their living expenses rise, and "safety net" help fall, due to the national MW increase. Of course, we could then adjust the poverty level upward, restoring the "safety net" help, but then that just puts us right back to square one. The bottom line is that trying to make the MW into a living wage (Obama's real wish?) fails.
    ďThe reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.Ē ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #57
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,655

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It is also apples and oranges when discussing those, with different needs, that now earn the minimum wage (MW); for those that need mainly beer, date and book money (like the OP interns) they are fine with the current MW (or even less), but those that must support a spouse and two kids need more income than the MW provides.

    This is still true, possibly worse, after raising the MW to $10.10/hour because, while the student's expenses are still met (or exceeded), the family provider then sees many of their living expenses rise, and "safety net" help fall, due to the national MW increase. Of course, we could then adjust the poverty level upward, restoring the "safety net" help, but then that just puts us right back to square one. The bottom line is that trying to make the MW into a living wage (Obama's real wish?) fails.
    You can actually see this happen time and time again throughout recent history. The gains made by raising the minimum wage take only a few years to be gobbled up by the inflation caused by the rise in the minimum wage.

    In constant dollars the minimum wage is on par with what it was through the entire Clinton administration, a time when Democrats thought the economy was doubleplusgood.
    Last edited by jmotivator; 01-29-14 at 04:13 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #58
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    You can actually see this happen time and time again throughout recent history. The gains made by raising the minimum wage take only a few years to be gobbled up by the inflation caused by the rise in the minimum wage.
    Correlation/causation error.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Weíll say what? Something like ďnothing happenedĒ ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #59
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    Yeah interns tend to be unpaid because the experience they get. Most interns are still in school and it helps them build their resumes for once they graduate. Hell I had the chance to be a paid intern this summer and turned the money in exchange to going on lunch meetings and interacting more with people.
    The only thing you are doing by taking a unpaid internship is telling future employers that you are a dumbass who like to be taken advantage of.

    Class of 2013: Paid Interns Outpace Unpaid Peers in Job Offers, Salaries
    Among 2013 graduates who had applied for a job, those who took part in paid internships enjoyed a distinct advantage over their peers who undertook an unpaid experience or who didnít do an internship.
    Results of NACEís 2013 Student Survey show that 63.1 percent of paid interns received at least one job offer. In comparison, only 37 percent of unpaid interns got an offer; thatís not much better than results for those with no internshipó35.2 percent received at least one job offer.
    In terms of starting salary, too, paid interns did significantly better than other job applicants: The median starting salary for new grads with paid internship experience is $51,930ófar outdistancing their counterparts with an unpaid internship ($35,721) or no internship experience ($37,087).
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #60
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: 96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Donít Pay Their Interns

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I don't really see how this is hypocritical, its comparing apples and oranges.
    No its not.People complaining that minimum wage needs to be increased should be paying all their employees at least the wage they want minimum wage increased to.Interns are doing work and as such they should be paid money for that work.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •