Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 146

Thread: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    A much earlier post, and in some places, it is. But it absolutely is against the law. You are arguing over semantics. That is basically where you are with this "crime" argument.
    Yes, a much earlier post where you introduced the point that jaywalking is a crime and then when push come to shove you are wondering: "Why are you going off on whether or not it is a crime?" Now, instead of apologizing, you're accusing me of engaging in semantic?


    I already provided where it says that the "impression" of witnesses was that he fell. This is an open investigation.

    Why are you purposely so vague about your source by using "it"?


    The "it" is not an unbias news agency or report is it? In fact, the "it' is the NYPG Police Commissioner who was reported to have said he got the "impression" of the witnesses whom we the public have yet heard. But, don't you know the Police Commissioner is looking at a 5 million dollar lawsuit. Is he just going to fess up that his men had roughed up an octogenarian during an impromptu jaywalking stink?


    Then again it's far a cry from your previous claim about the attribution to the alleged fall "as reported that witnesses believed it was", isn't it?


    This is an open investigation. That means that many things about the case cannot be released to the public via public officials. Private citizens, such as the man suing the city don't have to follow such rules when it comes to information release. Unfortunately that also means that the private citizen also has an advantage in getting to give his/her side of the story without much rebuttal or evidence to the contrary to avoid contaminating any evidence or saying something wrong (which a city official can get into more trouble for doing than a private citizen). This is also why I have a lot of skepticism of anyone who brings lawsuits against the city or police without much more information. Because it is almost always skewed in the citizen's favor to begin with, then normally more information comes out (usually during the trial or the weeks prior to) that shows that the police weren't at fault or didn't do anything wrong.
    That whole speech is a moot point.


    That octogenarian is beyond his age and had paid enough fat share of his income to feed the gluttony of the tyrant hands that bite him back. He should be given his due of senior citizen respect and assisted to cross the NY street safely instead of going from stop and frisk to stop and push you down for the beating by a few able-bodied NYPD cops. It really put this nation to shame worldwide on how our supposedly able-bodied police officers can't even handle an octogenarian without resorting to excessive force that bloodied the elderly victim to the hospital.

  2. #62
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    Yes, a much earlier post where you introduced the point that jaywalking is a crime and then when push come to shove you are wondering: "Why are you going off on whether or not it is a crime?" Now, instead of apologizing, you're accusing me of engaging in semantic?

    Why are you purposely so vague about your source by using "it"?

    The "it" is not an unbias news agency or report is it? In fact, the "it' is the NYPG Police Commissioner who was reported to have said he got the "impression" of the witnesses whom we the public have yet heard. But, don't you know the Police Commissioner is looking at a 5 million dollar lawsuit. Is he just going to fess up that his men had roughed up an octogenarian during an impromptu jaywalking stink?

    Then again it's far a cry from your previous claim about the attribution to the alleged fall "as reported that witnesses believed it was", isn't it?

    That whole speech is a moot point.

    That octogenarian is beyond his age and had paid enough fat share of his income to feed the gluttony of the tyrant hands that bite him back. He should be given his due of senior citizen respect and assisted to cross the NY street safely instead of going from stop and frisk to stop and push you down for the beating by a few able-bodied NYPD cops. It really put this nation to shame worldwide on how our supposedly able-bodied police officers can't even handle an octogenarian without resorting to excessive force that bloodied the elderly victim to the hospital.
    In other words, yes you are playing a semantic argument. Jaywalking is a ticketable offense in NYC. While not a violent crime (obviously), it is still punishable by the law (via fine) and involves the police to enforce.

    Your own argument against the police is based on the other side, an old man who stands to get $5M from the police for what was his own fault (jaywalking, failing to learn enough English to understand at least emergency personnel/police officers, impatience for a situation that was taking so much time mainly due to his lack of being able to communicate, trying to attack and/or resist police officers, and by his own admission, making an assumption based on nothing really about the police officer's intentions and taking inappropriate actions toward the officer based on those assumptions). All of what I have stated is based on the old man's account of what occurred. He would not have been arrested at all, nor even touched by the police at all had he either a) learned English sometime during his 50 years in this mainly English speaking country or b) been patient enough to wait for the police officer to either let him go or an interpreter. The man's actions brought about all the problems he faced.

    It is not an officer's place to help anyone, old or not break the law. Unless you can prove the man didn't jaywalk, then he likely deserved the ticket. His word is not proof.

    And no, the police did not beat that man. Your bias against the police is showing through here.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    In other words, yes you are playing a semantic argument. Jaywalking is a ticketable offense in NYC. While not a violent crime (obviously), it is still punishable by the law (via fine) and involves the police to enforce.

    Your own argument against the police is based on the other side, an old man who stands to get $5M from the police for what was his own fault (jaywalking, failing to learn enough English to understand at least emergency personnel/police officers, impatience for a situation that was taking so much time mainly due to his lack of being able to communicate, trying to attack and/or resist police officers, and by his own admission, making an assumption based on nothing really about the police officer's intentions and taking inappropriate actions toward the officer based on those assumptions). All of what I have stated is based on the old man's account of what occurred. He would not have been arrested at all, nor even touched by the police at all had he either a) learned English sometime during his 50 years in this mainly English speaking country or b) been patient enough to wait for the police officer to either let him go or an interpreter. The man's actions brought about all the problems he faced.

    It is not an officer's place to help anyone, old or not break the law. Unless you can prove the man didn't jaywalk, then he likely deserved the ticket. His word is not proof.

    And no, the police did not beat that man. Your bias against the police is showing through here.
    So, if jaywalking is a crime then you are a convicted criminal when you are fined? Are you trying to go in circle here?

    You weren't there, so your claim that the cops did not beat the old man just ring hollow.


    Like I said before several times, I don't have to go with either side. Just look at the picture of the bloodied old man being lifted up by several cops with his hands already hand cuffed behind his back, is this how you think the cops should handle an octogenarian like that?

  4. #64
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    So, if jaywalking is a crime then you are a convicted criminal when you are fined? Are you trying to go in circle here?

    You weren't there, so your claim that the cops did not beat the old man just ring hollow.


    Like I said before several times, I don't have to go with either side. Just look at the picture of the bloodied old man being lifted up by several cops with his hands already hand cuffed behind his back, is this how you think the cops should handle an octogenarian like that?
    My claims are supported by the picture we have of him. We know where the blood came from, the fall to the ground (whether police caused or accidental is the only thing in question here) caused a gash on his head. There is no evidence that the police caused any injury to him. No bruises, handprints, or even indication of pain/injury besides that cut on his head. That photo supports me a lot more than you.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #65
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,623
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    This is one of those incidents that there just isn't enough evidence one way or the other to make a judgment. I'm not willing to give the old guy the benefit of doubt, because I know a hell of a lot of 80-year-olds who are ornery, mean-spirited pricks/prickesses who think the world owes them deference simply because they are still breathing. OTOH, if police can't detain an 84-year-old without blood being spilled, the situation should be scrutinized a bit by their superiors.

    Given the other extremely serious cases of obvious police brutality and misconduct I've seen over the years, this is not even a blip on my radar.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    My claims are supported by the picture we have of him. We know where the blood came from, the fall to the ground (whether police caused or accidental is the only thing in question here) caused a gash on his head. There is no evidence that the police caused any injury to him. No bruises, handprints, or even indication of pain/injury besides that cut on his head. That photo supports me a lot more than you.
    None of your claims are supported by the picture or the news report. You made stuffs up all the time. There is no news report of a single witness who stated the old man fell.


    All you have are some media reports about the Police Commissioner having the impression from the witness or witnesses which to date wasn't even supported by any fact. Yet you latched on this tidbit and blew it out into a false claim about a witness' belief and maintained the falsehood to use it against the old man throughout your whole argument.


    There was also not a single media report about the cop calling and waiting for an interpretator but yet you continued to use that as if it were fact by accusing the old man of being impatient for not waiting for the interpretator.


    That old man had four staples to the head and yet you said he had either a cut or one gash to the head. Even so, it goes to show the brutality of the cops handling this case.


    There are more stuffs you made up then I care to list them all. And the picture of the old man already handcuffed while on the ground is more consistent with the police pushing him to the ground with his head against the floor for the purpose of arresting and handcuffing than him falling to the ground. That's the unmistaken modus operandi of aggressive police tactics to execute an arrest when they perceive uncooperativeness of the person to be arrested.


    If an elderly person is falling, an able person should be able to catch it or at least break the fall and check for sign of bone fractures or head concussions and attended to the well being of the person instead of swarming around and handcuffing him off the floor without making sure he wasn't seriously injured.


    If an elderly person fell and fracture his hip or other bony part of his body, you shouldn't move or lift the person up on his feet. I'd think if the elderly did fall the police officers should have some basic training in dealing with such medical issue. Apparently the elderly man didn't just fall but was pushed down, as the victim said, by the cops without regards to his well being as we saw in the picture.
    Last edited by dolphinocean; 01-30-14 at 12:26 AM.

  7. #67
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinocean View Post
    None of your claims are supported by the picture or the news report. You made stuffs up all the time. There is no news report of a single witness who stated the old man fell.


    All you have are some media reports about the Police Commissioner having the impression from the witness or witnesses which to date wasn't even supported by any fact. Yet you latched on this tidbit and blew it out into a false claim about a witness' belief and maintained the falsehood to use it against the old man throughout your whole argument.


    There was also not a single media report about the cop calling and waiting for an interpretator but yet you continued to use that as if it were fact by accusing the old man of being impatient for not waiting for the interpretator.


    That old man had four staples to the head and yet you said he had either a cut or one gash to the head. Even so, it goes to show the brutality of the cops handling this case.


    There are more stuffs you made up then I care to list them all. And the picture of the old man already handcuffed while on the ground is more consistent with the police pushing him to the ground with his head against the floor for the purpose of arresting and handcuffing than him falling to the ground. That's the unmistaken modus operandi of aggressive police tactics to execute an arrest when they perceive uncooperativeness of the person to be arrested.


    If an elderly person is falling, an able person should be able to catch it or at least break the fall and check for sign of bone fractures or head concussions and attended to the well being of the person instead of swarming around and handcuffing him off the floor without making sure he wasn't seriously injured.


    If an elderly person fell and fracture his hip or other bony part of his body, you shouldn't move or lift the person up on his feet. I'd think if the elderly did fall the police officers should have some basic training in dealing with such medical issue. Apparently the elderly man didn't just fall but was pushed down, as the victim said, by the cops without regards to his well being as we saw in the picture.
    4 staples is nothing. That is the exact amount my son got when he was 2 years old for the gash on his head from falling onto our windowsill.

    Since you like to play semantics, I want evidence of a beating. A single gash that we know was caused by impact with the ground (whether caused by him falling or being pushed is the only thing in question here) is not evidence of a beating as you claim. There are no bruises on that man, not even a split lip, bloody nose, or black eye. No other cuts at all. If you care going to claim beating, then actually show evidence of a beating, not a fall resulting in a single gash to the head, something a 2 year old gets when they are still wobbly on their feet.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    It's interesting how a fellow who has lived here for 50 years, the majority of his life, can't speak english when getting a ticket but somehow gives clear english responses to questions asked in english by reporters.
    Probably didn't really have a need for it. Many first generation Irish/Italians/Greeks/Chinese didn't speak English or even bothered to learn when they first came to the US. They could live perfectly well in their communities without it. All they needed was an acquaintance or family member with a basic understanding of English.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #69
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Name these *alleged* corrupt group of police across the country
    Arvin Ca police dept. for starters. The Arvin traffic court for seconds. Bakersfield Ca police dept. for thirds. I could name plenty more if you like.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  10. #70
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    re: Gang of NYPD cops beating up on 84 year-old man for jaywalking [W:129]

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Arvin Ca police dept. for starters. The Arvin traffic court for seconds. Bakersfield Ca police dept. for thirds. I could name plenty more if you like.
    Go on a case-by-case basis. Don't generalized

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •