Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

  1. #31
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I know. He thought he was doing a good thing when he addressed stuff that was completely outside the realm of his experience. He probably did spend a few years early in his marriage during which he didn't have everything he was accustomed to, but that is the extent of it. Reminds me of John Kerry buying a hunting license and whathisname sticking his head out of a tank hatch. That junk never flies.
    Oh yea, Dukakis. He was actually ahead in the polls before that Tank video, but after that, he went into the toilet. Bush I crushed him. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #32
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,258

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Oh yea, Dukakis. He was actually ahead in the polls before that Tank video, but after that, he went into the toilet. Bush I crushed him. LOL.
    It's not like there isn't a precedent they could look to for a little guidance on what might be meaningful to the public and what will surely be taken as a joke. Romney was probably correct about the 47% thing, but somebody somewhere should've told him you simply don't stand up and say it. Some things are better off left unsaid regardless of their truthfulness, and an astute manager would've told him that in advance of the event. As it was, he betrayed himself with an off the cuff remark to an audience he assumed was friendly. In politics, there is no such thing as a friendly audience anymore. Everything is recorded and examined.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,247

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Probably. I just hate to think that Conservative has been narrowed to mean only the far right (religious right and other extreme rightists). I'm more of a Goldwater Republican, the true Conservative, what the Republican party was built on before the nut bags tried to take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Yea, Conservative doesn't mean the same today as it meant back in the days of Republican sanity. I'm an old Paleocon myself, and so I remember what it used to be like before the crazy took over.
    Oh I don't know about that at all.
    You guys may be Goldwater Conservatives but recall they were able to portray Goldwater as a war mongering nutball back then.
    These days the attack machine is a ubiquitous & finely tuned machine.
    They could destroy someone like Goldwater much more easily these days.
    Look what they're doing to Cruz ... You yourselves called him a nut bag and a crazy so you're buying into it.
    Not a good sign.

  4. #34
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Oh I don't know about that at all.
    You guys may be Goldwater Conservatives but recall they were able to portray Goldwater as a war mongering nutball back then.
    These days the attack machine is a ubiquitous & finely tuned machine.
    They could destroy someone like Goldwater much more easily these days.
    Look what they're doing to Cruz ... You yourselves called him a nut bag and a crazy so you're buying into it.
    Not a good sign.
    I can see where you can feel that way. I, however, call Cruz a nut bag because of his actions not his beliefs, which I don't necessary agree with either. If it was just his beliefs, I wouldn't call him that, but he tends to act out and on those beliefs in a way that's detrimental to him and the party. If it was just his beliefs, I would call him an ideologue, not a nut bag. The problem with Cruz? He's both. Which makes him very dangerous... IMHO.

    As for Goldwater, he took on the religious right extremists, and even said that Jerry Falwell needed his butt kicked. As far as being called a war monger, anyone that chooses to protect this country and its interests using the military is called that... including now by some on the far left... Obama himself.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,247

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I can see where you can feel that way.
    I, however, call Cruz a nut bag because of his actions not his beliefs
    , which I don't necessary agree with either. If it was just his beliefs, I wouldn't call him that, but he tends to act out and on those beliefs in a way that's detrimental to him and the party. If it was just his beliefs, I would call him an ideologue, not a nut bag. The problem with Cruz? He's both. Which makes him very dangerous... IMHO.

    As for Goldwater, he took on the religious right extremists, and even said that Jerry Falwell needed his butt kicked. As far as being called a war monger, anyone that chooses to protect this country and its interests using the military is called that... including now by some on the far left... Obama himself.
    I'm not slamming Goldwater by any means. I'm just saying you have to look closely at who & why the media chooses to target.
    ... consider this ...
    - Ted Cruz mounted a filibuster over defunding Obamacare ... something that affects every one of us ... I presume that filibuster is one of the things that got him the nut bag appellation ... the media and Democrats took him apart.
    - Wendy Davis, State Senator, in Texas mounted a filibuster over abortion ... the entire media apparatus portrayed her as a hero ... and that was over State legislation.

    And look at how they're going after Christie and he's hardly a Conservative.
    It matters less what the person stands for than who the person stands against.

  6. #36
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I'm not slamming Goldwater by any means. I'm just saying you have to look closely at who & why the media chooses to target.
    ... consider this ...
    - Ted Cruz mounted a filibuster over defunding Obamacare ... something that affects every one of us ... I presume that filibuster is one of the things that got him the nut bag appellation ... the media and Democrats took him apart.
    - Wendy Davis, State Senator, in Texas mounted a filibuster over abortion ... the entire media apparatus portrayed her as a hero ... and that was over State legislation.

    And look at how they're going after Christie and he's hardly a Conservative.
    It matters less what the person stands for than who the person stands against.
    Regarding the MSM, I totally agree. I've been laughing at all the talking heads on CNN that totally dismiss Benghazi and the latest Senate report when it's compared to "Bridge Gate." They say that Benghazi was no where near as bad as a political action made by people that currently don't even include Christie, and... they say that Christie should have known what was happening yet allow Obama to get by with the IRS scandal, Benghazi and all the rest because there's "no way" he could have known about it.

    Hypocritical BS, as usual.

  7. #37
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Does it really matter-- republican or democrat? Both parties are doing an exemplary job of draining the life of this country. I see them as figureheads.. a diversion of some kind.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  8. #38
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,863

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    It's not like there isn't a precedent they could look to for a little guidance on what might be meaningful to the public and what will surely be taken as a joke. Romney was probably correct about the 47% thing, but somebody somewhere should've told him you simply don't stand up and say it. Some things are better off left unsaid regardless of their truthfulness, and an astute manager would've told him that in advance of the event. As it was, he betrayed himself with an off the cuff remark to an audience he assumed was friendly. In politics, there is no such thing as a friendly audience anymore. Everything is recorded and examined.
    No, Romney wasn't correct about the 47% thing. He would have been correct if he had said that 47% of people don't pay federal income tax. What he said was that 47% of the people are dependent on government, and those are two completely different things.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #39
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,446

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Another interesting prediction. I think your Total Recall predictions didn't work out perfectly, but you did ok.

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Now, while Moran was in a district that is decidedly blue, which Republicans don't have a snowball's chance in hell of taking, other retiring Democrats have held office in districts which were slightly red, thus making it hard to defend those seats. Earlier this year, I predicted that, while Democrats would pick up a few seats, Republicans would still hold the House in the 2014 elections. I now change that prediction. Democrats might actually lose a seat or 2 this year.

    Why do I predict that House will remain Republican? It has to do with the paradigm each party is employing in it's races. While Democrats have a top down approach, which pushes mostly nationally, and relies on coattails of national figures to win local seats in many districts, the Republicans utilize a bottom up approach, concentrating on local races, and then leveraging their wins by taking over states and then gerrymandering their districts. The result is that, while Democrats seem to enjoy an edge these days in presidential races, many states which are considered purple, or even blue, are controlled by Republicans. Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are good examples of this. They all went for Obama in 2012, but their legislatures, as well as their congressional districts, are mostly Republican.

    Before Democrats start whining about how unfair this is, I must tell them that, if they had thought of this, they would have done it. But it was Republicans who came up with it, and it is Republicans who are enjoying the benefits. Democrats snoozed, and they loozed. LOL.

    Article is here.

  10. #40
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,258

    Re: Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    No, Romney wasn't correct about the 47% thing. He would have been correct if he had said that 47% of people don't pay federal income tax. What he said was that 47% of the people are dependent on government, and those are two completely different things.
    True. I was referring to the central fact that Romney was not likely to garner a vast portion of their vote.

    Edit: I should add that in saying that, Romney assured that he did not receive that vote.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •