Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 126

Thread: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass Sen

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Of those jobs, hotel desk and cleaning staff require no training or education. You just dont go from making cars to being a nurse at a hospital, or to preparing taxes. And that is my point.
    Actually the temporary tax prep people are just plugging your numbers in to Turbo Tax or a similar program like H&R Block software. There are advantages to having a low income when it comes to job training. Back before I started this business my wife wanted to go to school for medical lab tech but we could not afford it. I was making decent money but on top of our other bills I couldn't pay for school. Then I started the business and we experienced very low income for the first couple of years. At that point she qualified for both a Pell grant and Hope thru the state. We actually made money on that. They covered all expenses and she ended up getting about $1000 from overages (from buying used books and such to reduce expenses) per quarter. She is now working in a histology lab at the local hospital and making decent money with a promotion coming up. Before that she had one of those jobs listed in the paper this week, night audit at a hotel which paid half as much. She continued to work that job 3 nights a week for the first year of school until the homework ramped up. I think too often people are looking for their ideal job instead of being creative. School was 2 1/2 years, I remember in the beginning she thought the task was insurmountable. But we decided to look at it one semester at a time and adjust as necessary and we made it.

    And that is MY point. There are jobs, there are grants, there are other opportunities available for those who can look past their preconceived notions of what their career should look like and do the work. I have a customer who took welding classes in high school and then paid his way thru technical college with an engineering degree without loans while making $15 an hour part time as a welder. It's all in how you look at it and what you are willing to do to make it happen.

  2. #82
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    That is the biggest load of crap i have ever heard in my lifetime.
    Oh?

    You do what you have to do in order to provide for your family and if that means flipping burgers then by God you flip burgers. until you can find something else.
    Yes but how can you find something else if you are working 10 hours a day flipping burgers to maybe pay the electrical bill?

    Cause guess what sitting on your butt collecting a check for less than minimum wage (by the time you factor taxes) isn't doing you any good.
    See that is the biggest load of crap I have heard in a while. Are you saying that the millions of unemployed are all lazy and sit on the butt and not doing anything to get a job? You sound like the same right wing fanatics that think all unemployed and poor are slackers and should not get any handouts, where as they the rich privilege should get tax breaks and handouts for being who they are.

    If you are on unemployment longer than 6 month you have no shot at getting hired. companies aren't even looking at your resume.
    see the article i posted. it tells you why continuing to expand unemployment is doing more harm than good.

    It only takes longer than 2 years if you aren't trying. you can find a job doing something in 2 years. no it might not be what you want to do but it at least shows you are able to be hired.
    And that is a problem in it self.... bias by the employers. Also if you are over 40 then chances of a job are much less.

    If i see two resume's with the same qualifications but one person has been on unemployment for 5 months and the other guy in that time has been working i am going to look at the guy who has been working.
    LOL well that is your bias that comes into it. Let me guess you would higher the 20 something over the 50 something right?
    PeteEU

  3. #83
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Taxing the hell out of productive people to keep unproductive people reliant on Government for Votes is the DNC way... and that just keeps people chained in a cycle of poverty.
    So the "productive" people in the US are being taxed the hell out off? HAHAHA

    The GOP believes YOU will do what it in your best interest when faced with adversity, where as people like yourself believe that without Government people will just die in the streets.
    No that is what they say, but what they believe is in staying in power at any cost and that cost is giving tax breaks and handouts to their rich backers. The idea of self reliance and less government has not been part of actual GOP policy since the 1960s.
    PeteEU

  4. #84
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Actually the temporary tax prep people are just plugging your numbers in to Turbo Tax or a similar program like H&R Block software. There are advantages to having a low income when it comes to job training. Back before I started this business my wife wanted to go to school for medical lab tech but we could not afford it. I was making decent money but on top of our other bills I couldn't pay for school. Then I started the business and we experienced very low income for the first couple of years. At that point she qualified for both a Pell grant and Hope thru the state. We actually made money on that. They covered all expenses and she ended up getting about $1000 from overages (from buying used books and such to reduce expenses) per quarter. She is now working in a histology lab at the local hospital and making decent money with a promotion coming up. Before that she had one of those jobs listed in the paper this week, night audit at a hotel which paid half as much. She continued to work that job 3 nights a week for the first year of school until the homework ramped up. I think too often people are looking for their ideal job instead of being creative. School was 2 1/2 years, I remember in the beginning she thought the task was insurmountable. But we decided to look at it one semester at a time and adjust as necessary and we made it.

    And that is MY point. There are jobs, there are grants, there are other opportunities available for those who can look past their preconceived notions of what their career should look like and do the work. I have a customer who took welding classes in high school and then paid his way thru technical college with an engineering degree without loans while making $15 an hour part time as a welder. It's all in how you look at it and what you are willing to do to make it happen.
    I understand and agree, but as you point out yourself.. it takes time. Your wife did not overnight get the qualifications for her new job, and that time it takes also requires money to live off. Like it or not, it is not easy to change professions... or cheap, and not by a long shot. Add in the family aspect and then it gets even harder and the older you are the less of a chance of profession change and employment.

    And by removing unemployment benefits without alternatives will only push people into two categories... those you mention above.. the minority, and then the rest will be pushed into poverty.
    PeteEU

  5. #85
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,564

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Taxing the hell out of productive people to keep unproductive people reliant on Government for Votes is the DNC way... and that just keeps people chained in a cycle of poverty.

    The GOP believes YOU will do what it in your best interest when faced with adversity, where as people like yourself believe that without Government people will just die in the streets.
    In case you missed it, taxation is now a mere option - the federal gov't simply borrows the difference between what "needs to be" spent and what it dares to ask for in direct taxation. Although both parties profess to disagree with that "budgeting" arrangement, it has received bipartisan support for over four decades.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    The problem with ending the benefits is there wasn't a "transition" phase that included retraining or possibly child care. Retraining is not free and during that time child care is needed. Now some will just say "Well it's not our faults that they have kids". No, it isn't however, ending the benefits and forcing people out on the streets is going to be creating a problem for people eventually.

    Too many times the GOP and the Dems look at a problem from only ONE side and they don't think ahead to what will happen later when they pass or don't pass something.

    Sad really that people continually think the Dems and Reps are actually FOR the people. They are FOR themselves.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,529

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Thank you for pointing this out. I was not aware the Fed's database contained all BLS data.



    Yes, but let me assure you it was not my intent.



    It does provide a more accurate metric than simply subtracting ratios.

    It seems that no matter what figures or graphs you use, they all show a huge jump in unemployment around 2008/2009, and a gradual decrease since then, but with unemployment still a lot higher than it was before the recession.

    You can spin those numbers however you want. If you're a Democrat, then it's the "Bush recession" that is responsible for the jump in unemployment. If you're a Republican, then the higher numbers currently are obviously due to having a Democrat in the White House, this despite the fact that little changed when the letter after the POTUS' name changed.

    The fact of the matter is that a lot of people are hurting financially, and that they therefore aren't contributing to the tax receipts, nor are they keeping the wheels of commerce spinning by buying that new car, big screen, washing machine, or anything else.

    which, of course, keeps the recession moving along.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #88
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Taxing the hell out of productive people
    A qualitative statement lacking both context and relativity.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #89
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Ya know, when I left the Navy, I had a high paying job lined up. The day of the interview a Hurricane hit Houston. The company I was going to work for their building was damaged and the company folded. I got stuck, on family land in San Antonio. I went on unemployment, for 3 weeks. I couldn't tolerate those checks. I took a base level position with Best Buy. I actually made LESS on that then I did my unemployment check, but I was earning it. I quit that job after landing a better job, and kept looking for better opportunities.

    It's been almost 9 years since I got out of the Navy, my wife and I started out making at or just above Min wage, today, we're doing much much better. We had nothing, now we have something. We are planning to buy a house this year. We went without lots of nice things, we went pay check to pay check. We worked our asses off. I have rich relatives, I could have leaned on them for money, but I didn't. I could have lived on their land, living off unemployment and all kinds of welfare for years, but I refused to be a leech.

    I have little pity for people that refuse to work hard, sacrifice to get ahead. I have compassion for people in need who strive to improve.

    Life ain't fair, wallowing in self pity or believing you're owed something isn't right.
    A deterministic anecdote following a normative rant. I guess that is the way of things
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Unemployment Rate Set To Plunge As Bill To Restore Jobless Benefits Fails To Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I understand and agree, but as you point out yourself.. it takes time. Your wife did not overnight get the qualifications for her new job, and that time it takes also requires money to live off. Like it or not, it is not easy to change professions... or cheap, and not by a long shot. Add in the family aspect and then it gets even harder and the older you are the less of a chance of profession change and employment.

    And by removing unemployment benefits without alternatives will only push people into two categories... those you mention above.. the minority, and then the rest will be pushed into poverty.
    It comes down to a decision of whether or not an individual wants to settle for the status quo or put forward the effort to succeed. Our route was a challenge and while she was going to school there were considerable logistics involved to be able to make it all work. For those who have been long term unemployed they have had enough time to figure out that what they were doing was not going to cut it. What they decide (or have already decided) to do is an individual decision, but it is entirely possible if you are willing to "accept the suck" long enough to achieve the goal. And we did have family to deal with as well, our son was in grade school at the time.
    Last edited by tech30528; 01-16-14 at 12:50 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •