Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 91

Thread: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

  1. #51
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    No plenty of military there, but the hands are tied so badly it's very difficult to get the job done. Lots of regulations and rules that normally in times of war do not exist. Very political situation. We need to get out I agree, but as I just stated I am highly concerned on what will happen when we do. Most of the afghan people are actually good people.

  2. #52
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    No plenty of military there, but the hands are tied so badly it's very difficult to get the job done. Lots of regulations and rules that normally in times of war do not exist. Very political situation. We need to get out I agree, but as I just stated I am highly concerned on what will happen when we do. Most of the afghan people are actually good people.
    I'm not saying they arent good people what im saying is that we had no business to be there in the first place because of the realistic political situtation. If the Afghan people actually want to strive forward they will on there own. The Soviets tried the same thing we did just under a guise of a different socio-economic system and they failed there was no reason for us to believe if we did it then we would achieve.


  3. #53
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I'm not saying they arent good people what im saying is that we had no business to be there in the first place because of the realistic political situtation. If the Afghan people actually want to strive forward they will on there own. The Soviets tried the same thing we did just under a guise of a different socio-economic system and they failed there was no reason for us to believe if we did it then we would achieve.
    I think AFG was necessary. Our ultimate goal was to get OBL and take out those that harbored him. The leadership highly miscalculated the levels of resistance it would face in both wars. Plus we gotta remember both wars were nearly unanimous in support from congress.

  4. #54
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    I think AFG was necessary. Our ultimate goal was to get OBL and take out those that harbored him. The leadership highly miscalculated the levels of resistance it would face in both wars. Plus we gotta remember both wars were nearly unanimous in support from congress.
    I would disagree about the support of the wars cuz the Iraqi war barely passed congress when it came to the democratic vote.
    But other than that i would still disagree. Now i agree something had to be done. I think honestly airsrtirkes were in need on various targets but other than that congress and the White House knew we couldnt do much. We would invade a country that was still stuck on a tribal system and was vastly underdeveloped and would try to catch a small group of militants. Hell look at what happened if the Taliban was in control of a village that village would love them to death but once we entered and kicked out the Taliban then that village would love us but once we left the Taliban would enter right back in and next thing you know that village would love the Taliban again. Honestly i think the Afghani residents dont really give a **** who controls them as long as people leave them alone and i think we see this now with Karzi even welcoming the Taliban to the negotiating table.


  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,361

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    If you're going to dump 30,000 men on a region and then simply leave the sitting on the ground with their thumbs up their asses instead of allowing them to do the job they were sent to do, you can't really expect results, now can you?



    So he can buy time for withdrawal without looking like a weakling who abandons his allies at the earliest possible opportunity.

    Nevermind the fact that he's simply opted to do so at a slight later opportunity instead, of course.



    There never was an especially massive "offensive" in the first place; just some minor skirmishing here and there.

    The only reason they've agreed to expand the drone campaign is because it is comparatively quiet and costs little in the way of political capital.
    Wait a minute...1st you say the Afghan Govt. is working against us and now we are abandoning our allies? Which is it?
    By the way....."kill 'em all" is not a plan.

  6. #56
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I would disagree about the support of the wars cuz the Iraqi war barely passed congress when it came to the democratic vote.
    But other than that i would still disagree. Now i agree something had to be done. I think honestly airsrtirkes were in need on various targets but other than that congress and the White House knew we couldnt do much. We would invade a country that was still stuck on a tribal system and was vastly underdeveloped and would try to catch a small group of militants. Hell look at what happened if the Taliban was in control of a village that village would love them to death but once we entered and kicked out the Taliban then that village would love us but once we left the Taliban would enter right back in and next thing you know that village would love the Taliban again. Honestly i think the Afghani residents dont really give a **** who controls them as long as people leave them alone and i think we see this now with Karzi even welcoming the Taliban to the negotiating table.
    The people really just want to be left alone to live their lives.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Wait a minute...1st you say the Afghan Govt. is working against us and now we are abandoning our allies? Which is it?
    Karzai knows full well what's happening here, and that we're basically giving him the shaft. He also knows that there isn't jack all he's going to be able to do to stop the Taliban after we leave.

    He's doing his very best to get on their good side now precisely because of those facts. That is the primary cause of the Afghan Government's recent obstructionism.

    If they felt that we were actually serious about getting the job done, rather than simply puffing out our chests in the interests of saving face, he would be more willing to work with us.

    Again, their culture respects strength above all else, not good intentions.

    By the way....."kill 'em all" is not a plan.
    Which is why I never suggested it.

  8. #58
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    The people really just want to be left alone to live their lives.
    And i agree. And i dont think our troop presence and drown strikes are leaving them so much alone.


  9. #59
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    And i agree. And i dont think our troop presence and drown strikes are leaving them so much alone.
    Most the drone strikes aren't in Afghanistan, but I agree. Who likes their home being bombed

  10. #60
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 74% of U.S. Afghan Casualties Came After Obama Ordered Troops Increased

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    Most the drone strikes aren't in Afghanistan, but I agree. Who likes their home being bombed
    I agree they arent but they are mostly right along the border region.
    But then again we did agree that Afghanis really dont give a rats ass who they are goverened by as long as they are left alone.


Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •