Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 232

Thread: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    (CNN) – Utah will not recognize the hundreds of same-sex marriages that were temporarily allowed by a federal judge's ruling but before the Supreme Court issued an injunction, the state announced Wednesday.

    Officials say more than a thousand marriage licenses between gay and lesbian couples were issued in the 17 days between the initial ruling and the high court's Monday order blocking enforcement.

    Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    That doesn't seem like the right move to me. They shouldn't just withdraw recognition of legally performed marriages.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  3. #3
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    That doesn't seem like the right move to me. They shouldn't just withdraw recognition of legally performed marriages.
    I tend to agree, however, the legality of the matter is still at issue.

    What's a few weeks/months in the big scheme of things anyway - if marriage is forever, waiting until the Supreme Court rules shouldn't be too onerous.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Good for Utah...... It's about time states told the feds to go **** off.....

  5. #5
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I tend to agree, however, the legality of the matter is still at issue.

    What's a few weeks/months in the big scheme of things anyway - if marriage is forever, waiting until the Supreme Court rules shouldn't be too onerous.
    My wife would never have accepted that arrangement back in the day.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Good for Utah...... It's about time states told the feds to go **** off.....
    Ok, I'll go along with you on that, so long as you agree that they (all states) can tell the feds to **** off on ANY issue they like.

  7. #7
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    My wife would never have accepted that arrangement back in the day.
    I'm guessing, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of gay couples in Utah have been living together, basically as married couples, for long stretches, perhaps years. Getting a legitimization paper from the government isn't going to change that relationship nor will waiting a few months to get it accepted. They might miss out on some state and federal sponsored benefits, but nothing they haven't been living with up until now.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #8
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Good for Utah...... It's about time states told the feds to go **** off.....
    If you're happy about pointless and desperate gestures like this, sure. You know as well as I do how the higher courts are going to rule.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'm guessing, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of gay couples in Utah have been living together, basically as married couples, for long stretches, perhaps years. Getting a legitimization paper from the government isn't going to change that relationship nor will waiting a few months to get it accepted. They might miss out on some state and federal sponsored benefits, but nothing they haven't been living with up until now.
    I hear ya, I'm just saying, let them tell it.

  10. #10
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    I think it's precisely what a governor who actually represents the people of his state would do in this situation. Doesn't matter how he thinks the courts will rule after this, matters that he stuck up for the will of the people of his state - there's nothing "pointless" about that.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •