Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 232

Thread: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

  1. #211
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    This sure seems like opinion (because it is).
    No, that is the way the laws work. States can not pass laws that violate the constitution and expect them to stand.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  2. #212
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes well that's the issue, are such bans unconstitutional? Does the fed have the grant (constitutionally speaking) to define the marriage contract? Is this a constitutional matter of equal rights? Everyone has opinions on the answers to those questions, however, the sole determiner in law has yet to conclusively ring in on those answers. In fact they've gone to great lengths to avoid answering.
    So far many cases have said that marriage falls under the 14th amendment. One would assume that judges know a thing or two about constitutional law.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  3. #213
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    States can not pass laws that violate the constitution and expect them to stand.
    Your opinion on the constitutionality is an opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    So far many cases have said that marriage falls under the 14th amendment. One would assume that judges know a thing or two about constitutional law.
    Marriage never meant gay.

  4. #214
    User tiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-15-14 @ 08:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Your opinion on the constitutionality is an opinion.



    Marriage never meant gay.
    Yes it is not traditional marriage like one man and a few women :P

  5. #215
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    I believe the several States should know better by now; Article 4, Section 2 is a rational choice of law in any conflict of laws arising under the authority of the United States. It was ratified by the several States.

    The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

  6. #216
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    I believe the several States should know better by now; Article 4, Section 2 is a rational choice of law in any conflict of laws arising under the authority of the United States. It was ratified by the several States.
    Bring on the concealed carry licences applying to all state.

  7. #217
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Bring on the concealed carry licences applying to all state.
    It is about privileges and immunities that apply to civil Persons who are specifically unconnected with militia service, well regulated.

    Why should a person need to conceal their Arms?

  8. #218
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    It is about privileges and immunities that apply to civil Persons who are specifically unconnected with militia service, well regulated.

    Why should a person need to conceal their Arms?
    Ask every single state why, as they all have concealed carry of some sort.

  9. #219
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Ask every single state why, as they all have concealed carry of some sort.
    Our Second Amendment claims a well regulated militia is a States' right.

  10. #220
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Our Second Amendment claims a well regulated militia is a States' right.
    What are you talking about? The militia is the population, and well regulated means well equipped.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •