Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 232

Thread: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

  1. #161
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed and on hold means they are not in force. The license cannot be exercised. Thus, as they sit now, worthless pieces of paper that cannot be honored.
    And on hold does not mean VOID. Void means canceled, not on hold.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  2. #162
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Btw, something I didn't know, both the Ninth and the California Supreme Court ruled that in this case the People DO have standing, the SCOTUS disagreed as part of their avoidance of the overall issue.

    MercatorNet: When a state government refuses to defend its marriage laws
    The supreme court made their decision, but it doesn't matter unless they were going to overturn the lower courts decisions. Both the 9th and the CA supreme court made the same decision.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  3. #163
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    1.)Are you alright? Is there something wrong with you? You're posting like someone that appears to be drunk?

    You said the governor was a bigot, I showed you why with specificity you were wrong on that assertion. You then claimed that SSM is an equal rights issue, and I stated (in good faith) that it was an equal rights issue to some, a civil matter to some, and a social issue to some. The courts have many instances where they also share the same opinion depending on who you cherry pick, that it is a social issue, a civil matter, and or an equal rights matter. Dude, what else do you require for proof? So are you now saying that because of the few examples you posted which I just debunked with text that states it's an equal rights issue that is not also a civil issue, or social issue? You're not really saying that are you? Talk about rose colored glasses, and I suspect it is why people generally avoid your brand of debate. you're completely and entirely disingenuous at best, or an outright liar at worst.


    Tim-
    right on time when facts defeat your posts you post failed insult, incivility and failed deflections. BUt facts remain and your posts are still losing to facts
    you have debunked NOTHING lol

    basically what your post did is this:
    i said its a fact that a certain car has wheels, then you posted hahaha the car is made by ford you were just debunked! lol
    Then i pointed out the fact that your post claiming its made by ford changes nothing about the fact it has wheels.
    Then you posted another failed deflection and strawman and ask me, are you saying the cars not made by ford, i hope you are not saying that LMAO

    nobody educated honest and objective will ever fall for such nonsense

    nice try but its another complete failure and ive lied about nothing


    FACTS:

    by definition the governor is a bigot
    SSM is an equal rights issue

    let me know wehn you can present ONE fact proving otherwise because your meaningless opinion will never do so and will simply, factually, continually fail
    I bet your next post is more of the same, all opinion, deflection failed insults and not facts. THis is what typically happens when one is unable to defend ones failed positions or bring any facts to the table.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #164
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    right on time when facts defeat your posts you post failed insult, incivility and failed deflections. BUt facts remain and your posts are still losing to facts
    you have debunked NOTHING lol

    basically what your post did is this:
    i said its a fact that a certain car has wheels, then you posted hahaha the car is made by ford you were just debunked! lol
    Then i pointed out the fact that your post claiming its made by ford changes nothing about the fact it has wheels.
    Then you posted another failed deflection and strawman and ask me, are you saying the cars not made by ford, i hope you are not saying that LMAO

    nobody educated honest and objective will ever fall for such nonsense

    nice try but its another complete failure and ive lied about nothing


    FACTS:

    by definition the governor is a bigot
    SSM is an equal rights issue

    let me know wehn you can present ONE fact proving otherwise because your meaningless opinion will never do so and will simply, factually, continually fail
    I bet your next post is more of the same, all opinion, deflection failed insults and not facts. THis is what typically happens when one is unable to defend ones failed positions or bring any facts to the table.
    Okay, okay I give.. I'll let me statements stand on their own, anyone interested can make up their own minds, not that anyone would care.. LOL

    Sheesh.. I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like you, AGENTJ, and I've been doing this for a long, long time.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #165
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Utah can try to do whatever it wants to try to do, but the U.S. government has said that it recognizes the same-sex marriage licenses issued by Utah as lawful and eligible for all federal benefits.

    Read all about it here:http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ite_state.html

    I believe that there's a chance that the state of Utah will end up paying any gay couples in Utah who lose any money or other benefits because of the states actions in this case a good bit of money.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 01-10-14 at 06:00 PM.

  6. #166
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    1.)Okay, okay I give..
    2.)I'll let me statements stand on their own, anyone interested can make up their own minds, not that anyone would care.. LOL
    3.) Sheesh.. I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like you, AGENTJ, and I've been doing this for a long, long time.


    Tim-
    1.) good move since facts will always win
    2.) correct nobody cares about opinion when there are facts at hand
    3.) ok I know a few like you, some of them are here, they are equally entertaining, some even more so.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #167
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    The supreme court made their decision, but it doesn't matter unless they were going to overturn the lower courts decisions. Both the 9th and the CA supreme court made the same decision.
    Not as to standing they didn't. Both the Ninth and the California Supremes decided the People DID have standing in the case even and especially if the state abandoned their duty.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Ok, I'll go along with you on that, so long as you agree that they (all states) can tell the feds to **** off on ANY issue they like.
    If Colorado can tell the feds to **** off and sell marijuana openly, then Utah has every right to regulate marriages by traditional standards.

  9. #169
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    And on hold does not mean VOID. Void means canceled, not on hold.
    Indeed, however, in this case, those marriages ARE voided unless Utah loses the decision, in which case they will be restored. They are currently unable to exercise the license.

    And Agent J, not Holder's call to make. The fed does not issue or control the issue of marriage licenses.

  10. #170
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If Colorado can tell the feds to **** off and sell marijuana openly, then Utah has every right to regulate marriages by traditional standards.
    You know, the Fed does seem to be selective as to which "state issues" they turn a blind eye to.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •