Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 232

Thread: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

  1. #111
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Except they are not recognizing the null and void marriages, which is 100 percent legal.
    He didn't nullify or void those marriages. He said that the state will not recognize them until the case is over. When the SSM side wins the state will have to recognize those marriages.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  2. #112
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    He said that the state will not recognize them until the case is over.
    So they are null and void currently?

  3. #113
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    He didn't nullify or void those marriages. He said that the state will not recognize them until the case is over. When the SSM side wins the state will have to recognize those marriages.
    And, if it doesn't they won't, which has been the argument all along.

  4. #114
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Federally?
    The Prop 8 case was a state case. And it used the 14th amendment to overturn a voter referendum that banned SSM. Just like the Utah case.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  5. #115
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,833

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    1.)I'm not sure how anyone puts up with you?

    2.) Ok real quick. The governor is not a bigot for upholding the will or his constituents that through due process chose to preserve the traditional definition of marriage between a man and a woman.
    3.) Fact, some are calling SSM a equal rights issue. Fact, some are calling SSM a civil rights issue. Fact, some are calling SSM a social issue. Fact, rights, laws, court cases, and precedence, and I'll add legislative measures prove I'm correct with all three assertions above.

    So what ya got now?


    Tim-
    Nailed it AGAIN

    1.) Deflections wont help you they just further expose your failed post and entertain me
    2.) weird can you quote where i said thats why he is a bogot? BOOM! thats right i never did its another failed strawman by you lol

    so again your answer is no agent J i have no facts that support my failed and proven wrong claims, GOT IT!

    Let me know when you do

    FACTS:
    SSM is and equal rights issue
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #116
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    The Prop 8 case was a state case. And it used the 14th amendment to overturn a voter referendum that banned SSM. Just like the Utah case.
    SCOTUS did not rule the person had no standing to sue?

  7. #117
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    That case used the 14th amendment to overturn Prop 8. Even though the USSC decided not to give the case cert the lower court decision stands. So basically the 14th amendment applies to state marriage laws.

    Yes and as I stated this brief shows why the court was wrong in doing so. The USSC was cowardly, and simply chose to reply on a technical standing provision that has many in legal circles scratching their heads over.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  8. #118
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    So they are null and void currently?
    No. they are not being recognized by the state. When a marriage is voided, it is like it never happened. Voiding is basically canceling. The marriages are not canceled, just put on hold.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  9. #119
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,833

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yet another perfect self-descriptor! You're on a roll today.
    still nothign thats what I thought, let us know when you have any facts to support you we'd love to read them

    facts:
    SSM is an equal rights issue
    the marriages issued are 100% intact and legal and all those people are still factually and legally married as far as the FED is concerned and any other state that recognizes equal rights, Facts defeat your post again.

    is there one facts that proves otherwise that you can present? one?

    who wants to take bets the request is dodged again and more failed insults and meaningless opinions and deflections are posted instead of anything on topic, factual, accurate and civil?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #120
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    No. they are not being recognized by the state.
    So the marriages are null and void currently?

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •