Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 232

Thread: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

  1. #91
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Because there's an appeal to the decision. Issuing the certificates wasn't against state law because the state law had been overturned by the court.
    What circular nonsense. You just finished telling me there was no law and now you say there was a state law but it was overturned by a court. Well, guess what, the court decision was appealled and stayed, so that means the state law is still in force until such time as the higher court rules.

    It's really not that difficult to follow.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #92
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Feds recognize same-sex couples in Utah
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) The Obama administration extended federal recognition to the marriages of more than 1,000 same-sex couples in Utah that took place before the Supreme Court put those unions in the state on hold

    Feds recognize same-sex couples in Utah
    The interesting part is how Holder agrees the governor can choose to not recognize the marriages.

  3. #93
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    1. Facts and the dictionary PROVE you wrong, want to see. Definition of FACT - "1.something known to be true: something that can be shown to be true" Definition of Bigot - "a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas". The idea being "fairly" as the key to why you use it incorrectly. As I have explained previously to you, rationale, and fair depends on ones perspective and their interpretation of issues and events.
    2. You have presented no facts that say the Governor of Utah is a bigot.
    3. No it doesn't and I have shown you that the definition of what you think a bigot is, and what a bigot actually is, are not consistent with contemporary understanding.
    4. Ah, but see now we're getting somewhere. You're still using bigotry in the wrong context. Not everyone that was against elevating the rights of minorities and or women were bigots. There were very good rational reasons at the time and these opinions were shared by a great many. You use equal rights as if there is some magical understanding that all people regardless of any circumstance are all necessarily equal. You're comparing the plight of homosexuals to that of race and gender, yet I find no common sense reason to do so. My assertion is that homosexuality is a choice per say, not always conscious and often unconscious, but still a choice in that we choose to put ourselves in positions where the causal nature (Still not yet understood) of homosexuality influences our normal heterosexual potential. Now you are free to disagree with that assertion, and I have no facts to back me up, but then again, neither do you. What you can present is a political effort to sway the light science communities to portray an alternative scenario in which homosexuality is not a mental state that can be prevented, but one of biology, and completely out of the control of the individual.
    5. I don't deny anything. I've vested a great deal of time on the subject and have way more knowledge of it than you do, and that much is obvious. I am open minded on the subject, and have stated many times that if homosexuality were proven to be mostly or entirely biological, I would put on a gay pride shirt and march right along side them. I'm still waiting on that evidence.
    6. I know that makes you feel better.
    7. Weird? Hmm... But you imply in your arguments that equal rights is something that transcends all of man's whimsical nature, and that men who, by their whimsical nature deny equality, are they themselves bigots for doing so. So, by logical extension, if men decide what rights we have, then isn't it equally logical that men can also decide what rights we should not have? I guess my question to would be, whom do you define as "man"?
    8. No, I chose that path of argument specifically to show you up. I know it was a little mean on my part, but I wanted to illustrate just how incoherent you are on the subject matter when applied to a more advanced level of understanding. Your arguments from what I've seen are superficial, and never really approach meaningful debate that include intangible factors and variables that promote honest discussion.
    9. See #8? You originally claimed or implied that you had the facts, and the facts were that this judge had it right, and that the Governor of Utah was a bigot because he chose the side of the people who chose freely and without duress to choose to not sanction gay marriage in their state. Now, you're saying that any reference to the fundamental structure of our laws, the constitution is not applicable to any debate on that subject matter?
    10. No, se that's where you wrong. The voice of the people does matter, and I argue that in matters where society can be impacted it is not only wise to seek the peoples opinion in a free society, but they have a duty and responsibility to offer it. You equating homosexual marriage to race and gender is a non sequitor, and you should know it by now.
    11. I'm not running out of anything but patience.
    12. Once again I've never claimed my opinion to be anything other than an opinion of my interpretation of issues and events.
    13. No he's not, but SSM might be an equal rights issue, and that's for society to eventually decide.
    14. Here again with the facts thingy.


    Tim-
    Boom called it! just like i said you CANT, all you did is regurgitate lies and opinions that dont fool anybody educated, honest and objective. That was awesome thank you again for the entertainment.

    great long post but guess what, you could have simply saved yourself time and said the truth, "NO agent J i have no facts to support me"


    facts still remains your opinions have ZERO impact
    you posting lies over and over again will never change anything

    he is factually a bigot by definition
    SSM is factually an equal rights issues as facts, rights, laws, court cases and court precedent prove

    remind me again what you have on your side besides "nu-huh" because you dont like it

    thansk for proving me right tim and showing you have NOTHING, ZIP, ZERO ZILCH to change the facts

    and incase you didnt understand the question ill ask again, if you disagree simply provide any FACTS that prove otherwise, i bet you wont and can . . . again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #94
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    (CNN) –
    Utah will not recognize the hundreds of same-sex marriages that were temporarily allowed by a federal judge's ruling but before the Supreme Court issued an injunction, the state announced Wednesday.


    Officials say more than a thousand marriage licenses between gay and lesbian couples were issued in the 17 days between the initial ruling and the high court's Monday order blocking enforcement.

    Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs



    Sounds like Utah is going to spend a lot of money and time in court.

    This will end up costing Utah a lot.

    Don't be surprised if Utah ends up having to pay a lot of people a lot of money.

    Utah has made a bet that it is going to lose-bigtime.

    There is no upside for the state of Utah (And some other intolerant states.) in this situation.

    Wait and see.





    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    Last edited by shrubnose; 01-10-14 at 04:52 PM.

  5. #95
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Don't be surprised if Utah ends up having to pay a lot of people a lot of money.
    For what?

  6. #96
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Feds recognize same-sex couples in Utah
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) The Obama administration extended federal recognition to the marriages of more than 1,000 same-sex couples in Utah that took place before the Supreme Court put those unions in the state on hold

    Feds recognize same-sex couples in Utah
    yep just like i said, those marriages are 100% legal and valid according to FED and all other states that recognize equal rights for americans.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    The interesting part is how Holder agrees the governor can choose to not recognize the marriages.
    Where di holder say that?

  8. #98
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yep just like i said, those marriages are 100% legal and valid according to FED and all other states that recognize equal rights for americans.
    Not in Utah, they are 100 percent null and void, and this was confirmed by Holder to be 100 percent legal and allowable.

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Where di holder say that?
    If it was illegal do you think Holder would not share that?

  9. #99
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Boom called it! just like i said you CANT, all you did is regurgitate lies and opinions that dont fool anybody educated, honest and objective. That was awesome thank you again for the entertainment.
    And there we have it, a perfect self-description. Once realization finally dawns upon you, you'll finally have arrived.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Utah will not recognize same-sex marriages performed before high court stay

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Not in Utah, they are 100 percent null and void, and this was confirmed by Holder to be 100 percent legal and allowable.



    If it was illegal do you think Holder would not share that?

    You are just making **** up now that wasnt sais or even implied

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •