Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 749

Thread: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

  1. #81
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Half of the country is ignorant and refuse to learn anything about evolution, because they're afraid to learn. They think it turn them and their children into atheists.



    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Right, it was settled 100 years ago.... that's why half of the country doesn't believe in evolution.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Half of the country is ignorant and refuse to learn anything about evolution, because they're afraid to learn. They think it turn them and their children into atheists.
    Actually, most proponents of intelligent design want evolution to continue to be taught in schools, they just want equal time for competing beliefs to be explored as well. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would oppose this.

    It's the anti-God, pro-evolution crowd that wants to silence everyone else, and drown out the 50% or so of Americans who have heard their arguments for evolution but upon examining the facts simply chose to believe something else.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Half of the country is ignorant and refuse to learn anything about evolution, because they're afraid to learn. They think it turn them and their children into atheists.
    Also, it's pretty insulting, bigoted, and rude to call half the country IGNORANT.

    Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them ignorant. If we believed that, we might as well throw the concept of democracy out the window because, by God, we can't let ignorant people make important decisions can we?

  4. #84
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Bill Nye's entertainment career ended in the 90's. That's what I said, that's how it is. He doesn't have a show anymore. He doesn't go on talk shows. People aren't lining up to interview him.
    You better tell that to the people keeping track of him:

    Even on a 15 second search, your entire claim is proven laughably false:

    Bill Nye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Nye remained interested in science education through entertainment. He played a science teacher in Disney's 1998 TV movie The Principal Takes a Holiday; he made a hovercraft to demonstrate science in an unusual classroom manner. From 2000 to 2002, Nye was the technical expert in BattleBots. In 2004 and 2005, Nye hosted 100 Greatest Discoveries, an award-winning series produced by THINKFilm for The Science Channel and in high definition on the Discovery HD Theater. He was also host of an eight-part Discovery Channel series called Greatest Inventions with Bill Nye. He created a 13-episode PBS KCTS-TV series about science, called The Eyes of Nye, aimed at an older audience than his previous show had been. Airing in 2005, it often featured episodes based on politically relevant themes such as genetically modified food, global warming, and race. Nye has guest-starred in several episodes of the crime drama Numb3rs as an engineering faculty member. A lecture Nye gave several years ago on exciting children about math was an inspiration for creating Numb3rs.[20] He has also made guest appearances on the VH1 reality show America's Most Smartest Model.[21]

    Nye has appeared numerous times on the talk show Larry King Live, speaking about topics such as global warming and UFOs. He argued that global warming is an issue that should be addressed by governments of the world in part because it could be implicated in the record-setting 2005 Atlantic hurricane season.[22] On UFOs he has been skeptical of extraterrestrial explanations for sightings such as those at Roswell and Malmstrom Air Force Base in 1967.[23]

    Nye appears in segments of The Climate Code on The Weather Channel, telling his personal ways of saving energy. He still makes regular appearances on the show, often asking quiz questions. As of fall 2008, Nye also appears on the daytime game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire as part of the show's reintroduced "Ask the Expert" lifeline. In 2008, he also hosted Stuff Happens, a show on the then new Planet Green network. In November 2008, Nye appeared in an acting role as himself in the fifth-season episode "Brain Storm" of Stargate Atlantis alongside fellow television personality and astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.[24]

    In 2009, portions of Bill Nye's shows were used as lyrics and portions of the second Symphony of Science music education video by composer John Boswell. Nye recorded a short YouTube video (as himself, not his TV persona) advocating clean energy climate change legislation on behalf of Al Gore's Repower America campaign in October 2009.[25] Bill joined the American Optometric Association in a multimedia advertising campaign to persuade parents to get their children comprehensive eye examinations.[26] Nye made an appearance in Palmdale's 2010 video "Here Comes the Summer";[27] the band's lead singer Kay Hanley is his neighbor. Nye (as his TV persona) also made a guest appearance on The Dr. Oz Show.

    On March 12, 2011, Nye made an appearance on CNN to discuss the evolving nuclear incidents in Japan as a result of the devastating earthquake and tsunami there. Nye erroneously stated that cesium is used to "slow and control" the nuclear reaction.[28][29] In reality, cesium (specifically cesium-137) is a nuclear fission product, not a control rod material. Nye also erroneously stated that the nuclear reactor involved in the Three Mile Island incident is still running and that the use of boron to slow the nuclear chain reaction is uncommon, when in fact boron-10 is commonly used in control rods, and is circulated in the coolant of reactors in the United States, as well as stored on site as a method of emergency shutdown.[29][30][31]
    Look, face it Grimm, you made an easily disprovable claim. What's even more laughable is that you're stating he's trying to stay relevant. The museum actually contacted him for the debate. Not the other way around.

    'Bill Nye the Science Guy' to Debate Evolution at Kentucky's Creation Museum - ABC News

    The museum had been hoping to attract Nye after the star said in a Youtube video that teaching creationism was bad for children.

    "I say to the grown-ups, if you want to deny evolution and live in your world, in your world that's completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe, that's fine, but don't make your kids do it because we need them," Nye said in the video, which has amassed nearly 6 million views.
    So in short, you're stating that creationists are contacting an irrelevant personality for the sake of bringing attention to themselves? Doesn't sound too logical but you're a creationist so we won't really question your judgement of what is and isn't relevant.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #85
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    My comment was a joke FYI.

    Nye does, in fact, appear on talk shows and news programs. But I know, you will probably find some way to dismiss that and argue you haven't seen him on s*** and that's all that really matters. Where and how much you have seen him on television only counts...

    The other time wasting avenue we could go down in this discussion would involve the assumption that you're just attacking this particular article as biased towards Nye.

    But I'm not going to waste my time. I I think it is pretty obvious that you are opposed to learning anything about evolution at all, and you're more than likely misguided on anything you think you know.






    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Where washouts go to try to resurrect their careers. You just made my point for me.

    Would be funny to see that pencil neck geek try to dance though, I should have watched that.

  6. #86
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    I'm not anti religious or atheist. I just know the difference between religion and science. I studied and learned evolution and I was never taught intelligent design, and at no point during those science classes did I ever question the existence of God.

    Why else would you want God and religion in such a class, unless you're afraid people walk out atheist?




    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Actually, most proponents of intelligent design want evolution to continue to be taught in schools, they just want equal time for competing beliefs to be explored as well. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would oppose this.

    It's the anti-God, pro-evolution crowd that wants to silence everyone else, and drown out the 50% or so of Americans who have heard their arguments for evolution but upon examining the facts simply chose to believe something else.

  7. #87
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I stopped reading at "Bill Nye, the popular TV scientist...."

    He hasn't been a relevant public figure for 20 years. His career in television ended long, long ago.
    Evolution wasn't invented by Bill Nye.

    Sticking your fingers in your ears and ignoring counter-arguments against your beliefs is pretty much par for the course for ol' Grimm. Carry on in your young earth ignorance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Actually, most proponents of intelligent design want evolution to continue to be taught in schools, they just want equal time for competing beliefs to be explored as well. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would oppose this.

    It's the anti-God, pro-evolution crowd that wants to silence everyone else, and drown out the 50% or so of Americans who have heard their arguments for evolution but upon examining the facts simply chose to believe something else.
    When your side can produce 1/100,000th of the facts and verifiable, peer reviewed evidence like evolution has, you'll be allowed to teach in school. Until then, keep it in a church where all religion belongs.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 01-04-14 at 05:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #88
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    You can't understand why anybody would be against teaching intelligent design an evolution together... And you claim that most IT supporters want both taught. Then who are the over half of Americans you mentioned as not believing in evolution?

    I highly doubt that the pro IT and evolution side, disbelieve in evolution while insisting its taught. That makes absolutely no sense.

    so what is the real side of your story here?? other then the fact that you think I'm a bigot




    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Also, it's pretty insulting, bigoted, and rude to call half the country IGNORANT.

    Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them ignorant. If we believed that, we might as well throw the concept of democracy out the window because, by God, we can't let ignorant people make important decisions can we?

  9. #89
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Also, it's pretty insulting, bigoted, and rude to call half the country IGNORANT.

    Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them ignorant. If we believed that, we might as well throw the concept of democracy out the window because, by God, we can't let ignorant people make important decisions can we?
    If half the country said they believed in things that didn't make sense and completely refuted known scientific facts I wouldn't call them KNOWLEDGEABLE.

    Even the paranormal is more believable and that is still a bit on the fantastic side.

    I think the Creation Story was drawn from some older source than Judaism, possibly a mix of Sumerian and Babylonian?

    The story of Noah is almost exactly parallel to an older story from the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is of Mesopotamia and Sumerian origin.
    Even Abraham was originally from Ur of the Chaldees an area of southern Mesopotamia. It's believed that he brought many of the older biblical stories from his native land with him.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    My comment was a joke FYI.

    Nye does, in fact, appear on talk shows and news programs. But I know, you will probably find some way to dismiss that and argue you haven't seen him on s*** and that's all that really matters. Where and how much you have seen him on television only counts...

    The other time wasting avenue we could go down in this discussion would involve the assumption that you're just attacking this particular article as biased towards Nye.

    But I'm not going to waste my time. I I think it is pretty obvious that you are opposed to learning anything about evolution at all, and you're more than likely misguided on anything you think you know.

    I'm opposed to learning, yet how many assumptions did you make in this post of yours?

    The reason intellectuals try to avoid making assumptions is because it precludes learning.

    Not that it matters, but I do delight a bit in the irony.

Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •