Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475
Results 741 to 749 of 749

Thread: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

  1. #741
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,369

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Considering his stance on AGW, it doesn't help his credibillity one bit on a variety of issues, including creationism.

    He's just another left wing hack whos marginalized by his ideology.

    Nothing "scientific" about that.
    I don't have an opinion on global warming, that is not what this thread is about.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  2. #742
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    Ideally you start by examining the facts themselves.

    Looking at the motivations of the person bringing the facts first is silly.
    Either you will follow a particular track because a authoritative person has brought the information or you will dismiss it out of hand and may well be ignoring the truth of a situation.

    You should be skeptical of all the claims. You should be reasonable skeptical of the data and expect any conclusions to stand up to rigorous challenge. If either of these fail then treat such information as speculation at best. It's probably a good idea to look at the motivation of the source at such a point.
    It's anything but silly.
    The very first thing you should do is determine who the messenger is.
    Can save a lot of time and surprises later.
    Like ... if you heard a Socialist pushing a plan he/claims will advance Capitalism you know it ain't so.
    Along those lines, if you hear a President say he prefers Single Payer then later claim that with his healthcare plan you can keep your current doctor and plan you could turn your set off right then.

  3. #743
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,308

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    Ideally you start by examining the facts themselves.

    Looking at the motivations of the person bringing the facts first is silly.
    Either you will follow a particular track because a authoritative person has brought the information or you will dismiss it out of hand and may well be ignoring the truth of a situation.

    You should be skeptical of all the claims. You should be reasonable skeptical of the data and expect any conclusions to stand up to rigorous challenge. If either of these fail then treat such information as speculation at best. It's probably a good idea to look at the motivation of the source at such a point
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    It's anything but silly.
    The very first thing you should do is determine who the messenger is.
    Can save a lot of time and surprises later.
    Like ... if you heard a Socialist pushing a plan he/claims will advance Capitalism you know it ain't so.
    Along those lines, if you hear a President say he prefers Single Payer then later claim that with his healthcare plan you can keep your current doctor and plan you could turn your set off right then.

    Even those who propose ideas out of the wrong motivations might have the best answers. To not look at them denies you possible solutions you have not thought about. The communist may have some good points. That he has never had any so far is not a block on him beginning to think sensibly in the future.

  4. #744
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post

    Even those who propose ideas out of the wrong motivations might have the best answers. To not look at them denies you possible solutions you have not thought about.
    The communist may have some good points. That he has never had any so far is not a block on him beginning to think sensibly in the future
    Then that Communist should start off with "I've been so so wrong for so so very very long.".
    That's what David Horowitz & Ronald Radosh did after a long period of fellow traveling before beginning to "think sensibly".

  5. #745
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,041

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    Bill Nye the science guy!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  6. #746
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,308

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Then that Communist should start off with "I've been so so wrong for so so very very long.".
    That's what David Horowitz & Ronald Radosh did after a long period of fellow traveling before beginning to "think sensibly".
    Ideally but that does not preclude a good idea coming out of the mouth of a communist.

  7. #747
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    Ideally but that does not preclude a good idea coming out of the mouth of a communist.
    Maybe ... but I say maybe only because I haven't heard each & every one of their ideas. Hope springs eternal and all that.

  8. #748
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    Anyone watching BattleBots?
    This is the only thread that popped up on my search.

    Bite Force v. #1 Tombstone in the Finals
    Last edited by NIMBY; 07-26-15 at 10:25 PM.
    Physics is Phun

  9. #749
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

    And the winner is #3 Bite Force.
    I've never watched this before--last night's replays from 24 to 16, 16 to 8, and 8 to 4.
    With semis and finals tonight--it was awesome.
    And of course they have their knock-out females as an anchor, reporter and judge also .
    Physics is Phun

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •