Page 56 of 75 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 749

Thread: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

  1. #551
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That is not a scientific study. It is an article about a book and an expedition. You will not find any published studies in any peer reviewed journals that show evidence of a worldwide flood that wiped out all life with the exception of what was taken on board Noah's Ark.
    I'm guessing you missed the bit about the taxonomy and carbon dating of the fossils on the sea bed to determine the geological history of the Black Sea, and the discovery that the sea was once a smaller fresh water lake, lending credence to the theory that the great flood actually did happen? You probably also missed the fact that the study found evidence of ancient buildings 95m under water?

    None of this would have been found had we chosen to write off Genesis as entirely mythical.

    Frankly, I would question the ability to think critically of anyone that would buy into such nonsense.
    I question the ability of someone to think clearly who fails to read a whole article before passing judgement on it.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #552
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    It dawned on me that you were probably talking about this?

    Other than the headline, there is nothing there really to describe what is commonly referred to as civilization. It's certainly what would be considered a precursor to civilization, though.
    But you're still looking at YECs who are claiming that the entire universe was created 4000 years ago (or on October 23, 4004 BCE at 9:30am if you want to be specific). Whether we push back the dates of human civilization to 10000 BCE or 20000 BCE, the creationists are still entirely wrong.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #553
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Oh, also, you have to actually ignore scientific study to arrive at the conclusion that the great flood definitively never happened.

    Oh irony.
    No, we only have to look at the facts to conclude that the great flood never happened. There simply isn't enough water on the planet to account for a worldwide flood, which is definitely what the Bible describes. Never happened.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #554
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Um, moon?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #555
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I'm guessing you missed the bit about the taxonomy and carbon dating of the fossils on the sea bed to determine the geological history of the Black Sea, and the discovery that the sea was once a smaller fresh water lake, lending credence to the theory that the great flood actually did happen? You probably also missed the fact that the study found evidence of ancient buildings 95m under water?

    None of this would have been found had we chosen to write off Genesis as entirely mythical.
    We know that there was once a catastrophic flood at the Black Sea. That is not what is described in Genesis. Any attempt to re-interpret Genesis into a local flood simply doesn't work.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #556
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    I'm not suggesting that creationists don't believe in prisms. The point is only that when creationists answer "God did it", they're effectively destroying future inquires.
    No, that is exactly what you argued. Yo may realize it was a stupid thing to say now, but it doesn't change the fact that you said it.

    And no, "God did it" doesn't seem to stop people from conducting scientific investigation as you say. Hell, Galileo believed in God and he still studied the heavens!

    I anticipate a future post wherein you again claim to have not said precisely what you just said.

    Science pushes the ball forward when we ask why, and get an answer that we're not satisfied with. Then we go out and experiment, measure, and theorize, until we have a better explanation. The problem with creationism is that it draws a stark line "THOU SHALT NOT LOOK BEHIND THIS CURTAIN".
    Again, NOBODY IS SAYING THAT. Criminey your argument is nothing but a giant basket full of straw men.

    Your attempts to characterize religion on the actions of the church over 400 years ago is like judging all of science based on the Eugenics movement of 100 years ago.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #557
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,542

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I'm guessing you missed the bit about the taxonomy and carbon dating of the fossils on the sea bed to determine the geological history of the Black Sea, and the discovery that the sea was once a smaller fresh water lake, lending credence to the theory that the great flood actually did happen? You probably also missed the fact that the study found evidence of ancient buildings 95m under water?

    None of this would have been found had we chosen to write off Genesis as entirely mythical.



    I question the ability of someone to think clearly who fails to read a whole article before passing judgement on it.
    Floods happen. They've always happened. Much of the Philippines was devastated by flooding last year. However, because buildings have been found under water doesn't mean that the a global flood put them there.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  8. #558
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    No, that is exactly what you argued. Yo may realize it was a stupid thing to say now, but it doesn't change the fact that you said it.

    And no, "God did it" doesn't seem to stop people from conducting scientific investigation as you say. Hell, Galileo believed in God and he still studied the heavens!

    I anticipate a future post wherein you again claim to have not said precisely what you just said.



    Again, NOBODY IS SAYING THAT. Criminey your argument is nothing but a giant basket full of straw men.

    Your attempts to characterize religion on the actions of the church over 400 years ago is like judging all of science based on the Eugenics movement of 100 years ago.
    The problem with creationism is what happens when you ask a question that you don't know the answer to. Creationists say "well the Bible says .... " and that's it. There's no reason for further inquiry. Look at the sun, the Bible says it goes around the Earth; why look further? The Bible says that God created all the animals. Why look any deeper?

    The subjects are different, but the idea is the same. Creationism teaches kids to stop asking why when they ask a question no one can answer. Science says look further.

  9. #559
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Um, moon?
    Tell BillO

  10. #560
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    We know that there was once a catastrophic flood at the Black Sea. That is not what is described in Genesis. Any attempt to re-interpret Genesis into a local flood simply doesn't work.
    I'm not reinterpreting Genesis, I have never said that the text is 100% factual, I am simply pointing out that statements like "the flood didn't happen" are just as closed minded as people here claim Christians are. A massive flood DID happen in that region and it would have appeared to anyone in that basin at the time that the whole world was gone.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 56 of 75 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •