Page 36 of 75 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 749

Thread: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

  1. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanUNC View Post
    Why is it that the anti-intellectuals and really uneducated people on here are always "Conservative" or "Very Conservative"?
    This uneducated anti-intellectual holds a degree in an engineering-related field and has worked in the Structural Engineering, Architecture, and Utility Engineering fields for the last two decades. I also happen to own a more than 700 volume library which contains better than 50% non-fiction items and which I've ready at least 75% of.

    As for why many of us who identify as Conservative (to varying degrees) appear to be anti-intellectual or uneducated is because most of us realize that there are things which cannot and should not be explained. We understand that many times what is Right or Wrong is more important than what is Possible.

  2. #352
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,290
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    This uneducated anti-intellectual holds a degree in an engineering-related field and has worked in the Structural Engineering, Architecture, and Utility Engineering fields for the last two decades. I also happen to own a more than 700 volume library which contains better than 50% non-fiction items and which I've ready at least 75% of.
    Doesn't seem to have done you much good.

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Doesn't seem to have done you much good.
    It has done what I wanted it to.

  4. #354
    Educator ethanUNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Last Seen
    03-29-15 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    984

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    This uneducated anti-intellectual holds a degree in an engineering-related field and has worked in the Structural Engineering, Architecture, and Utility Engineering fields for the last two decades. I also happen to own a more than 700 volume library which contains better than 50% non-fiction items and which I've ready at least 75% of.

    As for why many of us who identify as Conservative (to varying degrees) appear to be anti-intellectual or uneducated is because most of us realize that there are things which cannot and should not be explained. We understand that many times what is Right or Wrong is more important than what is Possible.
    Ok, so you hold a degree in a trade. That's good--not very relevant.

    Why don't you have any curiosity about science? Why shouldn't our world be explained?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I don't want a "comprehension of science"
    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Why aren't monkeys having human children?

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanUNC View Post
    Why don't you have any curiosity about science? Why shouldn't our world be explained?
    I have little to no curiosity about science because I live in a "Should Do" world rather than a "Can Do" world. By which I mean that my life is based not on wants, needs, desires, or anything of that sort but on a set of traditions and ideals that tell me what I Should Do in any particular situation. Since that road is already laid out before me, and the correct path is clearly definable by a very basic set of If-Then statements, there really is no need to consider or ponder anything outside of that paradigm.

    I believe our lives here are intended to be based on the aforementioned concept of "Should Do" over "Can Do". Therefore the search for new things is unnecessary.

  6. #356
    Educator ethanUNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Last Seen
    03-29-15 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    984

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I have little to no curiosity about science because I live in a "Should Do" world rather than a "Can Do" world. By which I mean that my life is based not on wants, needs, desires, or anything of that sort but on a set of traditions and ideals that tell me what I Should Do in any particular situation. Since that road is already laid out before me, and the correct path is clearly definable by a very basic set of If-Then statements, there really is no need to consider or ponder anything outside of that paradigm.

    I believe our lives here are intended to be based on the aforementioned concept of "Should Do" over "Can Do". Therefore the search for new things is unnecessary.
    Where did those traditions and ideals come from?

    Even if you're going to put your blinders on and drive down the straight highway, why does that mean you need to deny scientific facts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I don't want a "comprehension of science"
    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Why aren't monkeys having human children?

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanUNC View Post
    Where did those traditions and ideals come from?
    Hundreds and Thousands of years of family and societal traditions.

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanUNC View Post
    Even if you're going to put your blinders on and drive down the straight highway, why does that mean you need to deny scientific facts?
    Mostly because those "facts" take the focus away from where it belongs.... on the Traditions and Ideals that we should all be following.

  8. #358
    Educator ethanUNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Last Seen
    03-29-15 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    984

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Hundreds and Thousands of years of family and societal traditions.



    Mostly because those "facts" take the focus away from where it belongs.... on the Traditions and Ideals that we should all be following.
    So you feel that traditions have more authority than the scientific method?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I don't want a "comprehension of science"
    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Why aren't monkeys having human children?

  9. #359
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanUNC View Post
    So you feel that traditions have more authority than the scientific method?
    I feel they have more relevance to our purpose here on Earth, which I believe is to live a proper life, not the one they necessarily want to live in order that one's soul may be deemed worthy to move on to a better place after life.

  10. #360
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,563

    Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Hundreds and Thousands of years of family and societal traditions.

    Mostly because those "facts" take the focus away from where it belongs.... on the Traditions and Ideals that we should all be following.
    Wasnt it tradition to hold people from other lands in slavery for thousands of years?
    Wasnt it tradition to celebrate the solstice because it meant the sun was coming back?
    Wasnt it tradition to believe that the sun revolved around the earth?
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 36 of 75 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •