Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 749

Thread: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164, 712]

  1. #101
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    That's pretty much what the theory of evolution states, favoring colloquialism over taxonomic nitpicky-ness, of course.
    Where? Show us. What 21st century science books are you using to claim this? Favoring "colloquialism"? You mean completely ignoring the fact that science is not a colloquial matter of interpretation? Give us the hard facts. Where does the theory of evolution state humans evolves from slime on a rock? Remember, you're the one making the false claims here. Not us. So come on. Show us a single biology book that says slime on a rock or anything resembling such a colloquialism.

    This is slime on a rock:



    This is RNA:



    Do you know the difference?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 01-04-14 at 06:38 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    ... Uh... that's about as accurate as stating we evolved from monkeys. Can you please tell us what biology books taught you that humans evolved from slime on a rock? Actually, can you show us what biology books teach on the origins of life? Here is one:

    The Origins of Life



    Hm. No slime on a rock.

    Evolutionary Biology/Early History of Life on Planet Earth - Wikibooks, open books for an open world



    No slime on a rock there either. Third times the charm, yes?

    The RNA World and the Origins of Life - Molecular Biology of the Cell - NCBI Bookshelf



    Nope. No slime on a rock either. What slime are you talking about? Which rock?
    LOL ok man, we don't have to call it slime on a rock if you don't want. We can call it soupy, gunky bugger stuff.

    Primordial soup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm gonna hold out though, and insist that it was slimy. I'm sure a mass of unformed organic goo would be.

    Sorry... I'm disrespecting your ancestors here. That slime on a rock will one day become your aunt Flo. That goo in the pond over there, that's going to become your dog, Roofus.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This is slime on a rock:



    Hey! That's our family you're talking about! And they're not wearing any clothes.... how rude.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    LOL ok man, we don't have to call it slime on a rock if you don't want. We can call it soupy, gunky bugger stuff.

    Primordial soup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm gonna hold out though, and insist that it was slimy. I'm sure a mass of unformed organic goo would be.

    Sorry... I'm disrespecting your ancestors here. That slime on a rock will one day become your aunt Flo. That goo in the pond over there, that's going to become your dog, Roofus.
    Do you... do you... read your own links? Do you understand the importance of simplifying terms? Obviously you do not as the general information they convey do not get to you. There is no literal/colloquial slime or soup.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Do you... do you... read your own links? Do you understand the importance of simplifying terms? Obviously you do not as the general information they convey do not get to you. There is no literal/colloquial slime or soup.
    I would think there would be, as the title of the Wiki page is "Primordial SOUP."

    Hence, thus, and therefore, I'd be inclined to believe that there is, indeed, a colloquial "soup," as it were.

    But clearly we're not seeing eye to eye here. Or is that flipper to flipper?

  6. #106
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I would think there would be, as the title of the Wiki page is "Primordial SOUP."
    It's a good thing sometimes you have to read more than the titles to understand things. It saves you the trouble of being exposed as ignorant. It's alright though, I had the same problem once. I thought The Hunger Games was a documentary about poor people. Then, I watched it and realized it was pure fiction. Boy, I'm glad I didn't assume anything and learned it wasn't. However, as we can see - your colloquial understanding of evolution is beyond reproach. All we can hope for is that which such gems as "assumptions preclude learning" you never become a teacher of any sort.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It's a good thing sometimes you have to read more than the titles to understand things. It saves you the trouble of being exposed as ignorant. It's alright though, I had the same problem once. I thought The Hunger Games was a documentary about poor people. Then, I watched it and realized it was pure fiction. Boy, I'm glad I didn't assume anything and learned it wasn't. However, as we can see - your colloquial understanding of evolution is beyond reproach. All we can hope for is that which such gems as "assumptions preclude learning" you never become a teacher of any sort.
    So the primordial soup is not soup-like after all, says you? And it's not slimy either? Just trying to get the facts straight.

    I would never take the pay cut to become a teacher.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So the primordial soup is not soup-like after all, says you?
    Says.... the actual theory. Did you... did you read the link you posted? You're sounding extremely uninformed right about now.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #109
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So a bunch of atheists peer-review each other's papers, and that makes it fact. Sounds like fascism to me.

    I'll go with the American People over what some university pinheads think. In the democratic forum of ideas, the people have spoken: they believe in God and only 32% believe in evolution due to natural processes (2009 Pew Research).
    You mean people with no religious preconceived ideas about evolution reviewed the scientific data and found them to be correct. No religiously biased pseudo scientists have been able to prove that evolution is incorrect or blown any holes into evolutionary evidence.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Bill Nye the Science Guy to debate Creation museum founder Ken Ham[W:164]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Says.... the actual theory. Did you... did you read the link you posted? You're sounding extremely uninformed right about now.
    Why, oh why do I allow myself to get dragged in to these mind-numbing debates. Why why why. Sigh. OK fine, here's your proof (ie text from "my actual link", now go take a cold shower.

    Biochemist Robert Shapiro has summarized the "primordial soup" theory of Oparin and Haldane in its "mature form" as follows:

    - The early Earth had a chemically reducing atmosphere.

    - This atmosphere, exposed to energy in various forms, produced simple organic compounds ("monomers").

    - These compounds accumulated in a "soup", which may have been concentrated at various locations (shorelines, oceanic vents etc.).

    - By further transformation, more complex organic polymers – and ultimately life – developed in the soup.

Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •