Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 104

Thread: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    What about Kerry Rhodes? I think he was clearly denied contract for this reason and that's just wrong.

    I agree that if Rodgers had confirmed the rumors, he wouldn't be cut. Not a chance. But if it takes a super bowl winning QB or bench warming center at end of his career for anyone to speak up, gonna be waiting quite a while to have any shake up.
    Not necessarily. You just have to find a superstar who excels on the court or gridiron, but doesn't mind losing all his endorsement deals.

    If Kobe came out, there you go.

  2. #82
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Except you're trying to claim this is exaclty like the Duck Dynasty thing and it's not even close. I looked at his story again and he sounds like a complete douchebag (saying he wants one of those guys never to work again in the NFL). I sincerely doubt, based on the tone that he was as conciliatory and concerned about the team as he claims. This is who you choose as your hero?
    Would it be the guy who said gays should be nuked? Yeah, what a douchebag for wanting him gone.

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Are you in some sort of "how many paragraphs of crap can you type" competition?
    I'm sorry if you're annoyed by my writing style. However, your annoyance isn't going to change it so you'll just have to deal with it

    Anything about how I "completely buy" what he said is wrong if you read any of what I said. If you read what you wanted me to say, which is clearly what you did, that problem is yours and yours alone.
    Quote me where I said you "completely buy" anything. I said no such thing. I did imply that you read a single article and came up with this opinion (you know, the one YOU TYPED OUT):

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    My opinion - The Vikings had every right to release him for whatever reason. It is too bad that this would happen for him speaking his mind, especially after the team owner told him to "keep it up."
    Did you hedge on "your opinion" that you stated at the start of this thread boldly and clearly after OTHERS provided information that showed why Kluwe's story didn't paint the whole picture? Absolutely. But the fact is, INDISPUTABLY, that when you started this thread your OPINION was that it was "too bad that this would happen for him speaking his mind".

    You're getting pissy at "conservatives" had "knocked" Kluwe's account (because apparently stating FACTS that counter it is "knocking it" and worthy of condemnation), while you yourself had to amend your original proudly proclaimed "opinion" once people gave you more information.

    You don't like people quoting your words then perhaps you shouldn't say them. You don't like people commenting on [b]your opinion[/]b, then perhaps you should stop voicing said opinions. OR keep typing and keep expressing your opinions and deal with the fact that people may quote and reference them.

  4. #84
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Not necessarily. You just have to find a superstar who excels on the court or gridiron, but doesn't mind losing all his endorsement deals.

    If Kobe came out, there you go.
    I doubt he would lose endorsements from Nike. I think what's holding someone like Rodgers back is more fear of lunatic fans and what if his offensive line decides to stop blocking or there's a bounty? If Lomas Brown can admit to letting scott mitchell get injured...

    A basketball player obviously has less to fear in that way, but there's a limited number of untouchable Kobe Bryant types.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    I doubt he would lose endorsements from Nike. I think what's holding someone like Rodgers back is more fear of lunatic fans and what if his offensive line decides to stop blocking or there's a bounty? If Lomas Brown can admit to letting scott mitchell get injured...

    A basketball player obviously has less to fear in that way, but there's a limited number of untouchable Kobe Bryant types.
    Rodgers would be fine. I see lots more discount daaaaaaaah-ble checks in his future.

  6. #86
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Kluwe wasn't tossed for his politics he was tossed because he's not one of the top 33 punters available to 32 NFL teams - period. He competed in Oakland for the job and lost - handily.
    He lost his job fair and square too. Marquis King is a much better punter and will be up there with Ray Guy and Shane Lechler for the Raiders franchise.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Well but if the minnesota coaches really said those things, i'm glad he brought it to light. Problem is no one has stepped forward to confirm it, but then why would they? They'd be blacklisted as well.
    The only coach that said anything potentially troublesome to me is the special teams coach and I have no issue with Kluwe making that known

    So then why hire michael vick the dog killer? Why put up with culliver's "Gays gotta get up out of here" on super bowl week? Distractions come with the territory, they're used to it. . That's a piss poor excuse to cut someone.
    You...watch football right? And you read my posts that in terms of distractions it's a balancing act?

    Mike Vick was a multi-time pro bowl talent at QB, widely regarded as the most important position in the league. He came onto a team with a clear and undisputed #1 QB, reducing the chance for the "distraction" that'd come in a place where he'd maybe be pushing to start (Similar to why Tebow was less of a distraction for the Patriots and thus a better gamble for them then say the Jaguars). He was also multi-years removed from the height of his controversy.

    Culliver was their nickel cornerback, didn't have a history of causing distractions, and made a comment the week of THE SUPER BOWL. Yeah, a team's probably not cutting a person at that point due to a distraction. Just like the Vikings didn't cut Kluwe when he posted his letter to Deadspin and started getting a ton of attention...or with the Ray Guy thing...or when he was writing articles about the owners in the Lockout...or any of the other immediate instances that caused distractions.

    I never claimed that no NFL team will ever deal with any player causing a distraction in any way at any given time no matter the value. Let me perhaps clarify for you again what I was suggesting.

    As I've stated, a team is unlikely to cut someone whose causing a distraction if they're ALSO playing very well. If Peyton Manning came out tomorrow and proclaimed that 9/11 was an inside job by the jews and George Bush in an effort to ceed control to a New World Order I'd almost guarantee he'd still be the starting QB for Denver's game next week let alone come next season. Why? Because the VALUE of him as a player outweighs the negative of him being a distraction.

    I did however suggest that if you're playing poorly, at a position of little value, have a bad contract situation, or a combination of the three...AND you're causing a distraction...then there's a better chance you may get cut.

    You're right it's a poor excuse to cut someone JUST because they're causing a distraction. Thankfully I've not suggested that a team should, or has done that. I suggested that Kluwe was released primarily because of poor production and a bad contract situation, and that at BEST (worst depending how you look at it) the fact he was a distraction simply made the decision a lot easier to make.

    Tebow was a ****ty QB
    Arguable, but for the most part yes. But can you say he's worse than the roughly 64 to 96 other QB's in the league? Regardless of peoples views on his mechanics or anything else, he did lead his team from a losing season when he took over to a playoff birth and victory. Having been here to witness JOHN BECK as a starting Quarterback, I can absolutely say that I find it hard to believe that Tebow isn't better than one of those 96 or so QB's out there in the league. However, I CAN understand that his VALUE as a 3rd string QB isn't greater than the negative his distracting presence would bring.

    you're making the same false accusation as Kluwe.
    What false accusation?

    That Kluwe's actions were causing a distraction? Kluwe's own article notes that.

    That Kluwe was average at best last year? That's an opinion, but the cold hard stats I posted to support it aren't opinion. Net, total, inside the 20? Bottom half of the league, at best, for all of them.

    That Kluwe's contract situation was a poor one for the team? Again, how is that a false accusation? Their kicker this year is putting up comparable, if not better, numbers than Kluwe for $1 million less against the cap.

    He may or may not be, but if what he heard from the coaches is accurate, i understand his outrage, even if that's not why he was cut. So he should phrased it differently, like: "Minnesota coaches are bigots who want to nuke gays" etc. By saying he was cut for this reason, only scares other players from speaking up.
    Well, first...he'd still be incorrect with that statement since it seems like it was one coach that had that instance. Nothing that he said indicated Frazier had any issue with his VIEWS, but simply with his activism about those views. Second, I'd have no issue with Kluwe's article if he was just ranting about the things that the Special Teams coach said. That's him responding to something he directly heard and recalling it. That's ENTIRELY different then this sour grapes article alleging intent and reasons behind his release while continually making excuses for himself and largely glossing over the rather glaring other reasons why he'd likely have been cut.

  8. #88
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You...watch football right? And you read my posts that in terms of distractions it's a balancing act?
    i don't watch the NFL for various reasons including this. I just think they're either super fragile or they can handle some difference of opinion. No one gives a damn what punters think anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Mike Vick was a multi-time pro bowl talent at QB, widely regarded as the most important position in the league. He came onto a team with a clear and undisputed #1 QB, reducing the chance for the "distraction" that'd come in a place where he'd maybe be pushing to start (Similar to why Tebow was less of a distraction for the Patriots and thus a better gamble for them then say the Jaguars). He was also multi-years removed from the height of his controversy.
    He wasn't off the team until after NFL suspended him after pleading guilty, 4 months later. The controversy was in full force that whole time, he played in the preseason, and some people rather like dogs and don't just forget about this even after 21 month sentence. The team simply made a choice to do nothing until forced. I'd also like to think those actions don't compare to supporting gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Culliver was their nickel cornerback, didn't have a history of causing distractions, and made a comment the week of THE SUPER BOWL. Yeah, a team's probably not cutting a person at that point due to a distraction. Just like the Vikings didn't cut Kluwe when he posted his letter to Deadspin and started getting a ton of attention...or with the Ray Guy thing...or when he was writing articles about the owners in the Lockout...or any of the other immediate instances that caused distractions.
    I'm quite sure plenty had things to say about the owners during the lockout. Culliver's comments were threatening to others, including customers, the city they represent (san fran, i mean can he be that oblivious?), and even potentially teammates and were totally unnecessary. Yes, he could have been suspended for the super bowl. Yes, it was a huge distraction that the NFL hated. Much as the GMs asking at rookie interviews if they "like girls." My point is that they let some distractions slide and others are forbidden.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As I've stated, a team is unlikely to cut someone whose causing a distraction if they're ALSO playing very well. If Peyton Manning came out tomorrow and proclaimed that 9/11 was an inside job by the jews and George Bush in an effort to ceed control to a New World Order I'd almost guarantee he'd still be the starting QB for Denver's game next week let alone come next season. Why? Because the VALUE of him as a player outweighs the negative of him being a distraction.
    This is another reason i don't watch, because the notion (and seeming reality) that money can atone for any amount of unprovoked hate. It's not that i didn't already understand this. It's that i favor a more principled approach. If Manning said that, he should be out of there, and i don't care how fat his contract or how many TDs he threw last year. How anyone could root for someone like that, or a dog killer for that matter, is beyond me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You're right it's a poor excuse to cut someone JUST because they're causing a distraction. Thankfully I've not suggested that a team should, or has done that.
    Well all right then. That would be a cowardly and selfish way for well-organized teams to handle things, after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Arguable, but for the most part yes. But can you say he's worse than the roughly 64 to 96 other QB's in the league? Regardless of peoples views on his mechanics or anything else, he did lead his team from a losing season when he took over to a playoff birth and victory. Having been here to witness JOHN BECK as a starting Quarterback, I can absolutely say that I find it hard to believe that Tebow isn't better than one of those 96 or so QB's out there in the league. However, I CAN understand that his VALUE as a 3rd string QB isn't greater than the negative his distracting presence would bring.
    Given that the teams routinely conduct prayer sessions in the locker and on the field, i doubt it was even partly a factor. But for sake of argument, if Tebow or anyone were cut even partly for wearing a "crown of thorns" haircut or falling in prayer after a TD or whatever, that would be just as wrong to me as Kerry Rhodes not getting a contract. Or if Kluwe was cut even partly for his own harmless speech. But let's face it, a player being gay or ally is only a distraction if the other players and staff makes it so, which is usually what happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    What false accusation?
    In this example, it would be that Tebow was cut for his shall we say, outspoken beliefs (i think his claiming to be a virgin and rumored gay is more likely a "distraction" to NFL teams). It's no more plausible to me than Kluwe's accusation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, first...he'd still be incorrect with that statement since it seems like it was one coach that had that instance. Nothing that he said indicated Frazier had any issue with his VIEWS, but simply with his activism about those views. Second, I'd have no issue with Kluwe's article if he was just ranting about the things that the Special Teams coach said. That's him responding to something he directly heard and recalling it. That's ENTIRELY different then this sour grapes article alleging intent and reasons behind his release while continually making excuses for himself and largely glossing over the rather glaring other reasons why he'd likely have been cut.
    we're in agreement then

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Correct, Marquis was #1 in punt average in the NFL this year, so no one can even remotely make the case he lost the job in Oakland to an inferior player.

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    He lost his job fair and square too. Marquis King is a much better punter and will be up there with Ray Guy and Shane Lechler for the Raiders franchise.

  10. #90
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    I doubt he would lose endorsements from Nike. I think what's holding someone like Rodgers back is more fear of lunatic fans and what if his offensive line decides to stop blocking or there's a bounty? If Lomas Brown can admit to letting scott mitchell get injured...

    A basketball player obviously has less to fear in that way, but there's a limited number of untouchable Kobe Bryant types.
    I think you are suffering from gay persecution paranoia. OMG....if I come out or speak out "they" are going to kill me.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •