Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 104

Thread: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    You mean loving tight ends?
    Yup, although if he's thick enough, he can make him into a "wide receiver" after enough time.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,468

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Really? They were not just in favor of A&E suspending a person over their beliefs and personal opinion but rather foot stomping insistent, wouldnt you say?
    No they were in favor of firing him.

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Seeing as how he was "statistically the best kicker in Vikings history," I don't see it being performance-related.
    Career stats aren't a useful indicator of year by year performance.

    Jerry Rice was statistically the best receiver in NFL history. That doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have been reasonable for Oakland to cut him after the 2003 season when he’s 41, had less than 1000 yards receiving, and only 2 touchdowns.

    Kluwe, OVER HIS CAREER, was the best kicker in Vikings history. Kluwe in 2012 was an average, at best, punter in the league. He was an average at best punter making with roughly a $1.5 million cap hit. Kluwe’s CAREER performance doesn’t indicate that a cut following the 2012 season couldn’t be “performance related”. Unless the Vikings had access to a time machine.

    As a Vikings fan I can tell you it was pretty fishy from the start. They burned a 5th round draft pick on a punting slot when several other positions were far more pressing. (examples: Literally any offensive slot not currently occupied by someone named Adrian Peterson) Kluwe was good at what he did.
    Was it “fishy” a year before, when they still had more pressing needs (and weren’t just coming off of a playoff run), when they released their FG kicker and drafted 20 picks later than Locke was (175 compared to 155)?

    Kluwe, like Longwell, WAS good at what he did. However, they had become average at best players who were nearing the end of their contracts and required more money to keep than a younger player would. What happened to Kluwe almost directly mirrors what happened to Longwell a year before, despite Longwell not being some kind of political activist.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,468

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh boy, sports and the NFL combine. My opinion? You're foolishly just assuming Kluwe's side of the story is absolutely true.

    It's unquestionable that Phil Robertson was suspended due to his statements in the interview. A&E pretty much admitted that it was due to that backlash, and there was little other reason to believe it to be the case.

    The same cannot be said for old Chris Warcraft. There is nothing but speculation on his part to suggest that it was his statements and actions OFF the field that got him released. Quite to the contrary, there’s compelling evidence to suggest that there were legitimate and obvious FOOTBALL reasons to cut him.

    Kluwe had an inconsistent 2012, having one two game stretch where 8 of his 13 punts were under 40 yards including one 20 yarder (Source). Kluwe was 24th in Punting Average, 18th in Net Average, and 31st in the league for punts inside the 20 yard line ((Source). Those aren’t good numbers for a punter.

    Then you add his contract situation on top of his inconsistent and middling play. 2013 would’ve been the final year of a 6 year contract and would’ve cost them $1.45 million against their cap (Source). By cutting Kluwe and going with a young punter, they saved $1 million on their cap number AND have their punter locked up for the next 3 years at cap numbers lower than the veteran minimum they would, at best, have to pay Kluwe (Source).

    Finally, moving away from the cold hard facts of his stats and his contract, let’s peak at two more subjective pieces of supporting fact. The Vikings did the same thing to their field goal kicker, who isn’t an outspoken activist, the year before. Veteran Ryan Longwell had a middle of the pack year in 2011, similar to what Kluwe had in 2012. He also was coming up towards the end of his contract. The Vikings decided to go younger, releasing Longwell and going with a young rookie kicker. Sound familiar? It should, it’s the same general script that happened with Kluwe. Additionally, after getting released by the Vikings Kluwe joined on with the Raiders at a lower salary. Did he make that team? No, he got beat out by a young punter.

    UNLIKE Phil Robertson, there is clear and substantial evidence to show that Kluwe had his job terminated NOT because of his statements and speech, but rather because of his performance on the job. So the sad attempt to actually connect the two of them doesn’t just look desperate, it looks foolish.

    Now, IF the Vikings released him because of his views, which I don’t believe…then that’s their prerogative just as I felt it was A&E’s prerogative. I’d think it’d be dumb to do JUST for that, as I did with A&E. However, I don’t believe that to be the case. What I think is more likely is that the fact he was causing a distraction that was the issue.

    Football teams don’t like distractions. Case in point…you have a 2 time NCAA championship winning, Heisman trophy winning, QB with a playoff victory in his pocket over Ben Roethlisberger and the respected Pittsburgh Steelers, whose only 26 and who can’t even get onto a team as the 3rd string QB. Why can Tim Tebow not get a job? Because of the distraction his presence causes. Note, unlike Kluwe, this wouldn’t even necessarily be due to things he’s actively DOING or SAYING currently…but simply because the media and his fans are so worked up over him that they cause the distraction.

    Distractions are disliked in the NFL. If Kluwe was making noise and gaining national attention by being massively Pro-Gun, or by saying the POTUS is a muslim, or something like that then I think the Vikings, IF the distraction played into it, would’ve been just as likely to get rid of himas they would’ve because of his gay views. Because it’s not about his views, it’s about the distraction.

    However, I think first and foremost…as illustrated by the facts I showed above…I believe this was a football decision. Was it a football decision made easier because it also got rid of a distraction? Quite likely. But there’s plenty of facts to support that Kluwe was released because of FOOTBALL issues. There’s next to no facts, other than Kluwe’s opinions and statements, to indicate he was fired for his beliefs.

    I like Kluwe, at times I find him entertaining, hell I had friends who ran Raids with him years ago.....but he's ridiculously wrong here.
    That all may be true but if he didn't whine about this like he did, we wouldn't be talking about him, getting his name out there, and thereby securing a job for him in the future.

    Maybe it was a smart move on his part.

    I am sure there are plenty of companies that would hire him even though he just threw his current employeers under the bus.

  5. #55
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    They just had Kluwe on Minnesota Public Radio. Probably no audio yet since it just happened. He did say that declining performance and his big contract were definitely factors in other teams not picking him up. His feeling in personally dealing with coaches in private indicated that his advocacy was not welcomed by the coaching staff. See in his article where he recounts that Leslie Frazier asked him to stop, but said "Well, I guess I'm overruled" when Kluwe told him that Zygi Wilf wanted him to continue. More of a personal feeling, which none of us were there to witness.

    I do understand that taken as a whole, releasing Kluwe made sense, and that his advocacy was part of a bigger picture. On the other hand, discounting it completely as one factor among others is not really looking at the bigger picture.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #56
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    That all may be true but if he didn't whine about this like he did, we wouldn't be talking about him, getting his name out there, and thereby securing a job for him in the future.

    Maybe it was a smart move on his part.

    I am sure there are plenty of companies that would hire him even though he just threw his current employeers under the bus.
    His former employers. He was not with the team this season, and he specifically waited until Frazier was fired before he said anything.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #57
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    They just had Kluwe on Minnesota Public Radio. Probably no audio yet since it just happened. He did say that declining performance and his big contract were definitely factors in other teams not picking him up. His feeling in personally dealing with coaches in private indicated that his advocacy was not welcomed by the coaching staff. See in his article where he recounts that Leslie Frazier asked him to stop, but said "Well, I guess I'm overruled" when Kluwe told him that Zygi Wilf wanted him to continue. More of a personal feeling, which none of us were there to witness.

    I do understand that taken as a whole, releasing Kluwe made sense, and that his advocacy was part of a bigger picture. On the other hand, discounting it completely as one factor among others is not really looking at the bigger picture.
    Except you're trying to claim this is exaclty like the Duck Dynasty thing and it's not even close. I looked at his story again and he sounds like a complete douchebag (saying he wants one of those guys never to work again in the NFL). I sincerely doubt, based on the tone that he was as conciliatory and concerned about the team as he claims. This is who you choose as your hero?

  8. #58
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Except you're trying to claim this is exaclty like the Duck Dynasty thing and it's not even close. I looked at his story again and he sounds like a complete douchebag (saying he wants one of those guys never to work again in the NFL). I sincerely doubt, based on the tone that he was as conciliatory and concerned about the team as he claims. This is who you choose as your hero?
    My hero? Um ok....I guess he's a better choice than you.

    I didn't claim it was "exactly" like anything except in your head, though there are parallels. Not surprisingly, you think it's totally justified because Kluwe's viewpoint is liberal and Robertson's isn't. Kluwe talked to team lawyers first, I doubt Robertson went to that much trouble. It's not "exactly" like it. It's different on a variety of levels, but you don't think there's any similarity at all?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #59
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    They just had Kluwe on Minnesota Public Radio. Probably no audio yet since it just happened. He did say that declining performance and his big contract were definitely factors in other teams not picking him up. His feeling in personally dealing with coaches in private indicated that his advocacy was not welcomed by the coaching staff. See in his article where he recounts that Leslie Frazier asked him to stop, but said "Well, I guess I'm overruled" when Kluwe told him that Zygi Wilf wanted him to continue. More of a personal feeling, which none of us were there to witness.

    I do understand that taken as a whole, releasing Kluwe made sense, and that his advocacy was part of a bigger picture. On the other hand, discounting it completely as one factor among others is not really looking at the bigger picture.
    Thats kinda like excusing and justifying the waitress for lying about being stiffed on a tip because she was gay cuz...well...you know discrimination still happens. You CAN just speculate because it makes you feel better about your cause...but it doesnt make it right.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot[W:40]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

    Chris Kluwe writes about his advocacy for SSM, how he believes it led to him losing his job as Vikings Punter, and how it may keep him from ever playing in the NFL again.

    Question:

    Do you feel the same way about Chris Kluwe as about Phil Robertson? If not, why not? Is Chris Kluwe an "American Hero" as Phil Robertson has been referred to?

    My opinion - The Vikings had every right to release him for whatever reason. It is too bad that this would happen for him speaking his mind, especially after the team owner told him to "keep it up."
    I have to agree that owners should have the right to hire/fire based upon their own desires.

    Also, don't watch much NFL Football anymore, how good was he really doing as a Punter?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •