Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 286

Thread: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

  1. #61
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The analysts are always ginning up threats. How do you think they justify the fact that we spend more on defense than the next umpteen countries combined. A few years ago they were talking about a resurgent Russia and how much of a threat they were going to be. Mind you the country could not even fuel its navy, but just the same they were supposed to be a growing threat.

    China is our competitor, not our enemy. There are no parallels between China and the former USSR. We are economically integrated with China. They are not going to go to war with us. Hell, visit the country, they like us.
    First you tell me that all "serious analysts" see China as no threat at all, now you say they're playing with the numbers to justify hefty budgets. I really think you should take an honest look at THE INCREASE in Chinas spending in the last decade, then you might be breathing the same air as those compiling the anual Pentagon reports on China to congress.

  2. #62
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    That... is the oddest thing I've seen on here in a while.
    What does that even mean?



    it means that China will not be going to war with the USA.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    So because they have a different form of government, that makes them a potential enemy. I get what your saying, but when you boil it down, doesn't it sound petty?
    I think it's actually extremely fundamental. Their form of government is what makes them aggressive and untrustworthy. You can ascribe a variety of reasons for this that range from game theory analysis of decision making matrices to foreign policy inertia and feedback, and on. Regardless it is no coincidence that established and legitimate democracies do not fight each. If China were a democracy we would still have problems but the threat would be dramatically diminished and our posture would be significantly different.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I'm just imagining you as the homeless guy running around in rags with a sign screaming "The end is nigh!"
    Oh dear lord, the homeless guy with an I-pad. Ok HB!

  5. #65
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Is it any different than what we have one around our own country. It is certainly not like they are asserting Manifest Destiny over their whole hemisphere or anything. I am not saying they are not going to be provocative from time to time, or flex their muscles in the region from time to time, but I don't believe it will ever lead to any sort of real conflict at all. We are simply too economically integrated for that to happen. Name any decent sized western company and they have operations in China. Any decent sized Chinese company has operations over here. In past large conflicts between great powers you simply did not have that kind of economic "globalism" integration. In 1914, Germany did not have large numbers of factories in Britain. In 1940, Japan did not have corporate offices all over the United States. At no time in the Cold War did we have any real economic integration with the USSR.
    Before World War 1, there was a great deal of economic integration between the major European powers. It's part of the reason that many on both sides didn't believe such a thing was possible. Didn't really work out for them did it? Again, you think that a war has to start by each side being intelligent and no mistakes being made. All it takes is for China to assert itself in contested areas (we have no such thing btw) to much, or us to push back to hard... either side to underestimate their intentions, and war could erupt at a moment's notice. I also went over these points in a previous post in more detail, so I'll let you reference those instead.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Is it any different than what we have one around our own country. It is certainly not like they are asserting Manifest Destiny over their whole hemisphere or anything. I am not saying they are not going to be provocative from time to time, or flex their muscles in the region from time to time, but I don't believe it will ever lead to any sort of real conflict at all. We are simply too economically integrated for that to happen. Name any decent sized western company and they have operations in China. Any decent sized Chinese company has operations over here. In past large conflicts between great powers you simply did not have that kind of economic "globalism" integration. In 1914, Germany did not have large numbers of factories in Britain. In 1940, Japan did not have corporate offices all over the United States. At no time in the Cold War did we have any real economic integration with the USSR.
    That works both ways you know. But then it didn't stop the US from flexing its big muscle declaring that it was positioning 60% of its Pentagon assets in the WestPac, did it?

  7. #67
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I think it's actually extremely fundamental. Their form of government is what makes them aggressive and untrustworthy. You can ascribe a variety of reasons for this that range from game theory analysis of decision making matrices to foreign policy inertia and feedback, and on. Regardless it is no coincidence that established and legitimate democracies do not fight each. If China were a democracy we would still have problems but the threat would be dramatically diminished and our posture would be significantly different.
    And back during the Cold War I got that, as the USSR was constantly exporting their form of government around the world and trying to destabilize regimes and so on and so forth. But what national interests would we have for getting involved in a regional conflict over, let's say the East China Sea, between Japan and China? I agree that China doesn't want war with us, but they do want some of these areas that contain energy resources that they desperately need.

  8. #68
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    it means that China will not be going to war with the USA.
    They may not want war with the US, they probably don't want war at all, but the potential is there for a conflict, you would agree yes?

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    If China wants to dominate the sea in it's immediate area it obviously could come to be able to do so, unless Japan radically re-arms too.
    Heya Joko. Why.....Japans Navy has more ships than the Brits do.

  10. #70
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: China could defeat US in East Pacific conflict by 2020: Russian analyst

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Joko. Why.....Japans Navy has more ships than the Brits do.
    And if we are talking about open waters, than you would have a point. But china will be using aircraft and cruise missile capabilities to wage war in the East China Sea.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •