Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,266

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    that's a non sequitur.
    We are pretty clear what we are "doing".
    You really think so? The US is much clearer than most countries. But just think of Obama's drone attacks, NSA surveillance, "all options on the table" or "red line" statements.
    I got the prediction pretty well (though I had not expected the escalation of drone strikes to the extent they came) and I am sure the specialists around the world were not surprised. But the public was surprised and that is costing us.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    And? That does not prove your point. You did not explain, why you think that the two aims are incompatible.
    My point is that improving the quality of life for Afghanistan's people was not only never a stated goal of the Bush administration, it was never a possibility. But that even if it had been an "aim" it failed as evidenced by pictures of Afghanistan today when contrasted by those published in the Denver post.

  3. #43
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I think you should do your research on where that oil went to from Iraq. You'll fine the first oil contracts was to China, not the US
    But was that as intended? Washington cluster****ed everything about Iraq. Fortunately the US military is much better at what it does than Washington.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #44
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Yes, that's my argument; do you always presume idiocy to win debates?
    So if you were a woman, you'd rather live in Afghanistan, than in Australia... because you have more opportunities in that society, since.. Australia is more sexist?


  5. #45
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    But was that as intended? Washington cluster****ed everything about Iraq. Fortunately the US military is much better at what it does than Washington.
    Just saying, if we wanted to lock down first dibs with oil contracts we certainly could... we are talking about Washington though, I could see them screwing that up. You know, I'll believe my way but, you make a compelling counter-argument sir.

  6. #46
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Is that like the happy bi-product of Iraqi oil distribution to the coalition partners from attacking Saddam Hussein to prevent a mushroom cloud over an American city that of course he could NEVER have produced?
    Nope...completely different animal, but thanks for playing.

    Every elected democrat prior to 2004 KNEW that Saddam Hussein had chemical weapons, was a threat to the US , USED chemical weapons, and stood for both Clinton AND Bush engaging militarily. We know for a fact that Saddam Hussein openly ignored 17 UN resolutions MANDATING that he provide a complete accounting of his inventoried and cataloged chemical weapons stockpiles post GW1. Not 1 resolution, not the 2nd, or 3rd, or 5th, but 17 different resolutions. Those democrats also 'knew' he used chemical weapons in the past and was a threat to use them again. They also 'knew' he cooperated with, housed, and allowed terrorist operations to be conducted from Iraq as well as sponsoring Palestinian terrorists.

    You will get no argument from me that the post war ops in Iraq was as screwed up as the post war ops in Afghanistan. But as to the 'cause'? There was a unified cause in the war against Iraq...right up until the election of 2004. I can cite you quote after quote and defy you to try to distinguish between democrat and republican justification for the war. Again...right up until the election.

  7. #47
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    So...

    Anime? Nice source. Ever cited that to explain yourself in an academic setting?

    haha
    Last edited by ecofarm; 12-30-13 at 12:46 PM.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Imprisoned for escaping abusive households, attacked with acid for going to school, stoned to death for alleged adultery…

    These are just three of a staggering number of shocking things women face on a daily basis in Afghanistan today

    From Amnesty International.

    http://www.varsity.co.uk/comment/5674

  9. #49
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Nope...completely different animal, but thanks for playing.

    Every elected democrat prior to 2004 KNEW that Saddam Hussein had chemical weapons, was a threat to the US , USED chemical weapons, and stood for both Clinton AND Bush engaging militarily. We know for a fact that Saddam Hussein openly ignored 17 UN resolutions MANDATING that he provide a complete accounting of his inventoried and cataloged chemical weapons stockpiles post GW1. Not 1 resolution, not the 2nd, or 3rd, or 5th, but 17 different resolutions. Those democrats also 'knew' he used chemical weapons in the past and was a threat to use them again. They also 'knew' he cooperated with, housed, and allowed terrorist operations to be conducted from Iraq as well as sponsoring Palestinian terrorists.

    You will get no argument from me that the post war ops in Iraq was as screwed up as the post war ops in Afghanistan. But as to the 'cause'? There was a unified cause in the war against Iraq...right up until the election of 2004. I can cite you quote after quote and defy you to try to distinguish between democrat and republican justification for the war. Again...right up until the election.
    Don't know how we ended up here but I won't be arguing that when it comes to foreign policy there's any difference between the two parties. So called "regime change" for many ME countries has been a US foreign policy goal for decades and won't stop until accomplished. The propaganda wars precede the bombing wars and as evidenced here, we have plenty of Americans that lap up the propaganda. If evidence is fixed around the policy, hey whatever it takes.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Afghanistan gains will be lost quickly after drawdown, U.S. intelligence (WAPO)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I think you should do your research on where that oil went to from Iraq. You'll fine the first oil contracts was to China, not the US
    I said coalition partners not the US didn't I??

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •