Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 263

Thread: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

  1. #171
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Leot's see how that works out for A&E. Sucking up to the reach-around crowd may end up costing the network money.
    Pfft. A & E will be just fine. All of the bible thumping homophobes will be tuning back into A & E in a year. Until then they have CMT and ION.

  2. #172
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Both incidents are a disgrace to God; I'm not sure one is any worse than the other one. Both acts should be illegal in our society, but I suspect we will see more of this behavior in the future.
    Dude go move to an Islamic country. Their views on the matter jive with yours. You may have to switch brands of religion, but you'll still be able to use it as justification to discriminate and hate gays.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Bs! That is exactly what is happening.
    You and others are being intolerant because he said it was a sin, which it is.
    And are making all kinds of excuses to be angry and justify your intolerance of it.
    The only thing I am intolerant of is his intolerance and anti-gay comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    He didn't say anything stupid.
    One, he stated what was sinful to a question asking him what was sinful. Nothing stupid there.
    Two, he spoke of his personal experience in regards to blacks. That also is not stupid. You want to say that his experience was isolated. Go ahead. But relaying a personal experience can not be defined as saying something stupid.
    Your saying such is bigoted.
    One, it is your opinion that he did not say anything stupid. I am of the opinion, that what he said was stupid, dumb and insensitive.

    Two, saying that the blacks were happy before they got civil rights because they were singing songs and not complaining to a white man about the grief his white countrymen and women were causing them, is ludicrous. One would have to have to be totally ignorant of anything that has happened in the US with segregation, racial tensions. riots, lynching etc. etc. etc. etc. That he has those impressions shows that he is not in tune with reality when it comes to the struggle of black people in the United States during his lifetime.


    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    D'oh! That remains to be seen.
    Well, I hope that A&E shows they have a backbone and refuse to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Apparently he is getting far more support from normal folks than angry reactions.
    That may be so, but I would think those are coming from fans from the show or people who have the same conservative opinions.

    Also, here there might be reasonable posts and arguments but I am pretty sure that is not universally so. A&E has already received death threats etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    No.
    When it is reported that A&E made it's decision based on saying he made a comparison, when he did not, they are definitely in the wrong.
    If they have the opinion that what he said was unacceptable then they have that right to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Well that actually depends on the contract. As well as what they may or may not have known before signing him.
    Contract or no contract, it may cost them money but if they do not wish to show new episodes filmed after the comments were made, then I doubt there is a court in the country that can force them to air them. They may loose a lot of revenue but if they truly feel this passionately about this issue they will accept that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Accept that it isn't.
    It is a religious belief that was handed down supposedly from G_d. A belief that you can not prove to be untrue.
    And a belief that you also cannot prove true, that is why it is a belief and not a fact of life.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  4. #174
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,444

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I didn't realize a search engine could predict the future.... strange days indeed...
    My point is that you posted wrong information concerning the Chik-fil-a boycott when it is easy to go to Google or any other search engine to see why it really happened.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    Dude go move to an Islamic country. Their views on the matter jive with yours. You may have to switch brands of religion, but you'll still be able to use it as justification to discriminate and hate gays.
    Why should I leave, I can hate sodomites where I am now?

  6. #176
    Educator

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jordan
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 06:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,220

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Why should I leave, I can hate sodomites where I am now?
    But over here you can try to murder us to please the lord and you will not be discriminated against, that would be cool no?
    مثلي مثلك

  7. #177
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    A Facebook petition isn't worth the paper it's written on.
    Then here's some real data for you.

    'Duck Dynasty' merchandise is flying off Walmart's digital shelves, with a variety of goods related to the popular A&E reality show out of stock as a furor rages over patriarch Phil Robertson's anti-gay comments and his TV future.
    Walmart Sells Out of 'Duck Dynasty' Merch in Show of Support

    So, you guys going after WallMart next? I think your side has already tried that. How has that worked out for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  8. #178
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Once again, people are not offended by him saying that he is a Christian and as a Bible believing Christian, he believes homosexuality is a sin. It's not some attack on his religious beliefs. What people are offended about is his comparing homosexuality to bestiality. When you basically equate the two lesbian chicks down the road that have been living together for a decade to some sicko that rapes his dog, people will get offended. What part of that is so difficult to grasp??
    If I recall the entire statement, he compared, if you want to use that word, homosexuality, bestiality and even men sleeping around with different women and women sleeping around with different men. All are sins according to the bible, and all are comparable sins. So, it seems to me that the ones complaining really are complaining about what the bible says and his religious beliefs.

    ““Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. [...] “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”
    Last edited by buck; 12-21-13 at 02:56 PM.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    The only thing I am intolerant of is his intolerance and anti-gay comments.

    Wrong.

    And saying something is a sin, when it is, is not anti-gay.
    It is factual.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    One, it is your opinion that he did not say anything stupid. I am of the opinion, that what he said was stupid, dumb and insensitive.
    And we know you are wrong. Get over it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Two, saying that the blacks were happy before they got civil rights because they were singing songs and not complaining to a white man about the grief his white countrymen and women were causing them, is ludicrous.
    Doesn't matter what you think. It was a personal experience and can neither be stupid or ludicrous.
    But your opinion about it is absurd.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    One would have to have to be totally ignorant of anything that has happened in the US with segregation, racial tensions. riots, lynching etc. etc. etc. etc. That he has those impressions shows that he is not in tune with reality when it comes to the struggle of black people in the United States during his lifetime.
    And again.
    Doesn't matter what you think. It was a personal experience and can neither be stupid or ludicrous.
    But your opinion about it is absurd.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    That may be so, but I would think those are coming from fans from the show or people who have the same conservative opinions.
    Who you think it is coming from is irrelevant. Support for him is overshadowing any gay supporters.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    If they have the opinion that what he said was unacceptable then they have that right to do so.
    If it is based on false information as reported, they can not support what they did.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Contract or no contract, it may cost them money but if they do not wish to show new episodes filmed after the comments were made, then I doubt there is a court in the country that can force them to air them. They may loose a lot of revenue but if they truly feel this passionately about this issue they will accept that.

    Way out of scope. No one said any thing of the sort.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    And a belief that you also cannot prove true, that is why it is a belief and not a fact of life.
    Wtf?
    It is a religious belief that was handed down supposedly from G_d. I can proof that is what is believed.

    He spoke about what was sinful under such belief.
    The point is that you can not prove it untrue which means you can not say it is bigoted.
    Especially as saying something is a sin is not a bigoted comment.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #180
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: 'boycott a&e' facebook support page for phil robertson gets over 1m likes

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    :dooh
    Wrong.

    And saying something is a sin, when it is, is not anti-gay.
    It is factual.
    No, it is not a fact. It is your belief that it is a sin. Also, it is not up to Phil Robertson to judge other people IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And we know you are wrong. Get over it.
    No, you are of the opinion that I am wrong, I do not think that at all. And I will not get over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Doesn't matter what you think. It was a personal experience and can neither be stupid or ludicrous.
    But your opinion about it is absurd.
    You are right, it does not matter what I think except of course to me. Claiming what he did about blacks is very stupid and ludicrous. If someone did not see the suffering of the blacks in the South they were not trying very hard or were totally blind to the situation but claiming that the blacks in the US were happier before they got human rights is incredibly stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And again.
    Doesn't matter what you think. It was a personal experience and can neither be stupid or ludicrous.
    But your opinion about it is absurd.
    No, and it does matter what you think? It is ludicrous if he claims that the singing blacks were happier before civil rightss and again, that is not only dumb but also very wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Who you think it is coming from is irrelevant. Support for him is overshadowing any gay supporters.
    Just because some dumb facebook action is getting a lot of likes does not mean support for him is overshadowing any gay supporters. According to a poll from Pew, 45% agree with Phil Robertson and 45% do not. So please don't say support for him is overshadowing any gay supporters because the "thinking it is a sin" is a draw at best.

    60% said that homosexuality should be accepted by society.

    Section 3: Religious Belief and Views of Homosexuality | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    If it is based on false information as reported, they can not support what they did.
    I think what he said in GQ about both racial issues and gay issues is plenty enough for A&E to decide what they did, they too are free in their opinions and actions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Way out of scope. No one said any thing of the sort.
    No, but it can be the consequence if A&E follows it's heart and stops filming new episodes with Phil Robertson.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Wtf?
    It is a religious belief that was handed down supposedly from G_d. I can proof that is what is believed.

    He spoke about what was sinful under such belief.
    The point is that you can not prove it untrue which means you can not say it is bigoted.
    Especially as saying something is a sin is not a bigoted comment.
    No, it is his/your/some people's opinion that it is a sin based on what he/you/some people believe. You may see proof but I do not.

    He spoke about his views about sin, even though it is not up to him to judge others.

    I can perfectly think he that he has made bigoted statements, that it is also the opinion of a lot of other Americans does not change that.

    You may think that I am bigoted, that is your right to do so but please don't expect me to agree with that because you will have to wait forever for that to happen.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •